Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10% satisfied with the Government finds Millward Brown IMS poll

Options
  • 27-02-2009 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

From tomorrows Indo. Details here on RTE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0226/poll.html

Core Numbers:
    Party Support: 
    Fianna Fáil    25%
    Fine Gael      30%
    Labour         22%
    Green Party    5%
    Sinn Fein      7%
    Independents   10%

I'd put more trust in the Irish Times poll but these numbers are consistent with it which lends them further support. The only small comfort in this one is that FF is slightly ahead of Labour but in reality any number in the low 20s is very bad news for FF no matter what way they want to paint it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

nesf wrote: »
    From tomorrows Indo. Details here on RTE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0226/poll.html

Core Numbers:
    Party Support: 
    Fianna Fáil    25%
    Fine Gael      30%
    Labour         22%
    Green Party    5%
    Sinn Fein      7%
    Independents   10%

I'd put more trust in the Irish Times poll but these numbers are consistent with it which lends them further support. The only small comfort in this one is that FF is slightly ahead of Labour but in reality any number in the low 20s is very bad news for FF no matter what way they want to paint it.

While I acknowledge this poll, I would hold it with little regard until there is an actual election on the cards.

The opposition would seem to have failed miserably in their bid to collapse the government as demonstrated on VB tonight on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am disgusted FF are on 25%, with that number and their excellent election machine they can scrape 45-50 seats. I wont be happy until they are in their low teens.

FF are a National Party with history going back to the beginning of this state. So what do you expect? As long as FG exist FF will be there and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I am surprised that even 10% are satisfied with them tbh.

true, i'm surprised that 10% would be satisfied in the current situation, regardless of who is in power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I am disgusted FF are on 25%, with that number and their excellent election machine they can scrape 45-50 seats. I wont be happy until they are in their low teens.

25% is the minimum support they will ever get. As many posters have commented, some people will ALWAYS vote FF because their great grandfather sided with Dev. This is no great revelation but it surprises me that people actually think that FF could ever poll in the low teens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Wow. I'm glad I got out when the going was good.

Does anyone know if FF can be forced to have a General Election, or what it would take for this to happen prematurely?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

psni wrote: »
    Wow. I'm glad I got out when the going was good.

Does anyone know if FF can be forced to have a General Election, or what it would take for this to happen prematurely?

I would have thought calling for a vote of No Confidence in the Dial would be the fastest step, but what's needed to do this I'm not sure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

The only small comfort in this one is that FF is slightly ahead of Labour...

To paraphrase: We haven't had enough misery inflicted on us yet, and I'll die before I see a bunch of lefty pinkos take any semblance of power...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

nuttz wrote: »
    While I acknowledge this poll, I would hold it with little regard until there is an actual election on the cards.

The opposition would seem to have failed miserably in their bid to collapse the government as demonstrated on VB tonight on TV3.

That is always the ff line when polls look bad, but they always manage to scrape votes together at election time for some reason.
    Can't see them doing it at local.EU elections this time though.

It is gas when the ff grassroots accuse the opposition of failure.
    Do they ever look in the mirror ?

Hey I hear FFs theme tune for the Ard Fheis is "1 in 10" by UB40 :D
    Biffo is learning the lines as we speak :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

From today's 'Inde'.

Despite the collapse in support for Fianna Fail, its main Coalition partner continues to hold its own in Government. Support for the Greens remains steady at 5pc, but party leader John Gormley's personal popularity is just 28pc.

Sinn Fein has failed to make any meaningful gains in the wake of its own ard fheis last weekend. Its support remains at 7pc, an insignificant 0.1pc improvement on its disappointing performance in the last election.

Support for Independents has risen to 10pc from 6.6pc in May 2007.

Nowhere is Fianna Fail's demise more evident than in the capital, where the party now enjoys the backing of just 18pc of the electorate -- behind both Fine Gael and Labour.

Loyalty to the Fianna Fail brand also appears to have evaporated, with just 56pc of people who voted for the party last time around saying they would do so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The remaining FF supporters should either find a cure for masochism, or subject themselves to de-brainwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

The only plus I see form this is that FF are on a hiding to nothing and no longer have to worry about keeping joe voters' support.

They might as well dish the pain and force the Tax hikes upon us now rather than this death by a thousand cuts process they seem so fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

nuttz wrote: »
    Um, what? Gilmore made a call for an election over a month ago and hasn't done so again since. Kenny has called for an election about three times now by my reckoning. They're not trying to 'collapse the government', they're making the (valid) point that a government with 10% support may not have a mandate to govern and that an election could be in the best interests of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

nesf wrote: »

Small comfort?? I would have thought that even the most ardent FF supporter would be dissatisfied with Brian and co. I am not anti-FF, I've even been known to vote for them. However, the reality is that our current leadership is walking us and, even worse, our children, into the abyss. They are hanging on, to quote Mary Hanifan at today's Ard Fheis, for "When the upturn comes, and it will come, internationally". So there you have it, hang on long enough, keep the head (well) down, and sure everything will be all right. God help us all!

Normally, political stability would be of paramount importance at a time of crisis. However, it is clear that the government doesn't have what it takes. Not only have they lost the confidence of the electorate, and rightly so, they are also losing the confidence of the international business community. This is well beyond party politics, or sectoral divides within society. All our futures, public and private sector, are at stake. It is time for a change of government, period. My personal preference would be a power sharing approach, taking the best brains from all the political parties. That would provide continuity and would not require a general election. Lets have less talk of patriotism for the masses and true patriotism from our political leaders.

Hillel wrote: »
    Small comfort?? I would have thought that even the most ardent FF supporter would be dissatisfied with Brian and co.

It wasn't clear that I was being sarcastic? The main Government party drawing comfort by not being the third largest party after a decade and a half of being the country's biggest?

Hanifan is correct, the global economy will uptick before ours will given that growth here is so export driven. Not that that's cause for letting FF off the hook or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I was thinking the same thing.

Just a question: I know Fianna Fail were voted into government and still have a few years left to go. But, is it possible for a government to lose a mandate? (only 10% support from the population would suggest they have no mandate anymore).

K4t wrote: »
    Just a question: I know Fianna Fail were voted into government and still have a few years left to go. But, is it possible for a government to lose a mandate? (only 10% support from the population would suggest they have no mandate anymore).

What do you mean "lose a mandate"? Governments can be kicked out by losing support of TDs and a vote of no-confidence forcing them out. Governments can also voluntarily call elections early if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1

In fact, that's what I thought would be the topic of this thread; how come there are still 10% idiots in the country....

Mind you, if you add up bank heads, construction heads and millionaires, would it make up 10% ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement