Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera for my Dad

• 27-02-2009 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

My dad has shown some interest in photography, he's been using an ancient 3.2 megapixel point and shoot , I thought I'd buy him a new one , was looking at Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-SX10-Digital-Camera/dp/B001FWYT9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235690015&sr=1-1

it's 280 odd euro which is actually more expensive than the Nikon D40,

I'd be tempted to buy the nikon because it's better and cheaper right, but is it useable by a total novice , a novice who isn't great with technology either.

Sorry for an oft asked question no doubt, a yes or no would be fine

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yes Nikon D40 is a great starter's camera (and can be used professionally too).

Though if possible, wait until March first has passed, since Nikon is expected to retire the D40 line and introduce one or two(?) entry level replacement cameras (which would a) lower the price of existing D40 stock even more and b) allow you the choice of buying the "newest" and "best" - to some that's important ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I think the reason the canon is pricy is because it has a big zoom lens and is competing with the fuji bridges.I'd never recomend the D40 to any as it lacks an AF motor meaning only some lenses will AF on it (Not to worry if you're just gonna use a kit lens and a cheap zoom though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd never recomend the D40 to any as it lacks an AF motor meaning only some lenses will AF on it (Not to worry if you're just gonna use a kit lens and a cheap zoom though!)

Have you ever actually tried a D40? I Had one for two years, before I upgraded to a D90 2 months ago. The D40 is, in my opinion, a great little camera. Yes, it has no built in AF motor, but so what. All modern Nikon Lenses have built in AF motors anyway.

The lack of the built in af motor, only becomes an issue, when you are upgradind from an older film Nikon DSLR, and can't use some your older NIkon lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I have a D40, in the process of upgrading to a D90.

The D40 is terrific - it's as easy or as complicated to use as you make it.

I wholeheartedly recommend it - the kit lens it comes with is perfect for a starter, plus there's the option to buy new stuff for it as your dad gets more into it.

I went from a high-end point and shoot (Canon Ixus 900ti) to my D40, and the difference is remarkable. DSLRs are just in a different league.

The lack of an auto-focus motor isn't really that big an issue imo. You can get affordable lenses with the motor built in, plus having to manual focus isn't such a big problem either. I have a macro lens that I have to manually focus with, and it just makes the process more involving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Canon PowerShot SX10 IS is what is known as a Bridge Camera. These are models which are between the Compact Cameras & the DSLR's They normally have most of the controls you will get on an entry level DSLR with a Kit Lens (the default lens that comes with a camera) The disavantage is that you cannot change the lens, the advantage was that they were much cheaper. Lately the entry level DSLR's (Nikon D40 & Canon 1000D) have dropped to being close to the Bridge Range.

If you are interested in a Bridge Camera for him, then maybe also look at the Fuji range, which have been the market leader in this area for some time. A Bridge Camera is a good choice for a beginner but if the price id close to an entry level DSLR then that would also be very tempting.

You can compare cameras with this selector where they call Bridge Cameras "SLR Like" under Format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Have you ever actually tried a D40? I Had one for two years, before I upgraded to a D90 2 months ago. The D40 is, in my opinion, a great little camera. Yes, it has no built in AF motor, but so what. All modern Nikon Lenses have built in AF motors anyway.

The lack of the built in af motor, only becomes an issue, when you are upgradind from an older film Nikon DSLR, and can't use some your older NIkon lenses.

I didn't once say I disliked the D40,i just said the fact it lacks an AF motor is a issue (for me)And yes i have used one,Apart from the Canon/Nikon menu difference it was fine.But if you want to get a 50mm f/1.8,won't work AFAIK you see a cheap sigma zoom on adverts 70-300 apo won't work,It's just a lot of hassle imo,I always seems to talk to people who are upgrading from the D40 to a D80/D90 so why not get one of those first which has an AF motor or get a D50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I didn't once say I disliked the D40,i just said the fact it lacks an AF motor is a issue (for me)And yes i have used one,Apart from the Canon/Nikon menu difference it was fine.But if you want to get a 50mm f/1.8,won't work AFAIK you see a cheap sigma zoom on adverts 70-300 apo won't work,It's just a lot of hassle imo,I always seems to talk to people who are upgrading from the D40 to a D80/D90 so why not get one of those first which has an AF motor or get a D50...

Well nikon are biring out a 1.8 35mm which works lie ka 50mm on the d40 afaik that will auto focus. In additon eventually all of their lenses will be AF-S probably.

But for a beginner or even an advanced user it is great and I dont see why not to take it over a p+s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If it's not a surprise I'd get him into a shop to try out the contenders, he may express a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I have a Nikon 60mm f2.8 that I use with my D40 - auto focus doesn't work of course, but it's very straight forward to achieve decent enough results with manual focus.
    3279647980_0bbbf0739e.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/clickyfish/3279647980/

There are also a lot of reasonably priced lenses out there with the AF motor built into the lens - I have a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 with built-in AF, think you can get that now brand new for €200.

However, you're right that it can be a little limiting, and part of me wishes that I paid a bit extra and got a D80 (I'm looking to buy a D90 tomorrow) - partly for the built in AF, but also for the D80's other features. Having said that, the D40 is seriously cheap these days, and while it's not perfect, it's a brilliant starter camera.

I can't comment on the Canon SLR equivalents, haven't used them. I've had a few Canon Ixus compacts over the years and they have been universally excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

And remember none of the Canon dSLRs have an AF motor in their body ;) (they moved to in-lens motors a few decades ago I believe).

• Advertisement
Advertisement