Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 FM's First Day

• 27-02-2009 7:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Sounding good so far, oh and the first song Gareth played was Elo, mr blue sky. Great to hear some mature voices on radio!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Gareth O'Callaghan is an excellent presenter. Have fond memories of listening to him play christmas music on dull cristmas eve afternoons when he was on in the afternoon on 2fm.

I think I am going to like this station, hope it is a) a success and b) gets a full nationwide licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Sounds like a cross between Newstalk & Country Mix. Cant see this attracting too many listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No no no, this is bad news indeed, 4FM sounds just like Newstalk (circa 2005) with Kybird back again & a few songs thrown in here and there. Just listened to it for twenty mins, dear oh dear oh dear not again :(

Verdict so far = Not very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm willing to bet Tom McGurk is going to be the best thing by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I don't think he is on tonight because of "previous rugby commitments", so brace yourself for Derek Davis at 5pm Mike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet Tom McGurk is going to be the best thing by a mile.
    Depends if he shares his political opinions with us or keeps them to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't listen being an inhabitant of the forgotten city.

Tom does my head but is compelling. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I wonder why they are not on Listen Live yet? At least for the forgotten cities!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Greenman wrote: »
    I wonder why they are not on Listen Live yet? At least for the forgotten cities!!!!

I was just going to ask about that....would like to have a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Some great going on the music earlier - including Bob Seger on afternoon radio :) Very welcome addition to the dial! Noticed the quizzes were a bit above the average dumbed-down "is it A (farcical) B (unlikely) or C (blatantly obvious)" questions too...

But having a talk show on from 5 - 7 is a bad idea, and mixing music with proper current affairs sounds odd....they should offer an alternative drive and maybe have the talk show at night ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Some good tracks though I would hardly say great. These are let down by some very average stuff. Take That and Paul harrington (to name just 2) would not be my favorite music, in fact they're enough to make me switch away from 4. I'm not going to listen to a load of dross just to hear the odd good track. The best track I've heard so far, and it stands out because i've not heard it on the radio in many years, was Sally Oldfield with Mirrors which was played shortly after midnight.
    Still, it's early days to to judge it but the music will need to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

Listening to Gerry Stevens at the moment, some great tracks and his links really complement the music. I will be putting it on a preset in the car for sure! Oh and the Peter Dickson (e4 bloke!) voiceovers sound great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was listening today at various times and I have to say I was impressed with 4FM's relaxed style. The station benefits from having so many experienced broadcasters. It certainly delivers on what it promises. The music mix and chat are perfect for its target audience. It is not their fault that I have a very eclectic taste in music, which would include a lot of rock music! Well done so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But having a talk show on from 5 - 7 is a bad idea, and mixing music with proper current affairs sounds odd....they should offer an alternative drive and maybe have the talk show at night ?

I agree 100% there.

The only station that's available to most of the country that doesn't have a talk show on at 5pm is 2FM. Same goes for Q102 on the Dublin dial.

Thats where Phantom wins in Dublin. If 4FM had a music show on there, it would hoover up the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Music for me needs a tweeking. Brian Kennedy and the likes need to come off the playlist. Other than that its great to hear some Hospital Radio Music hitting the mainstream. Had Tom Noctor got a hand in the playlist;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Having heard the station a bit now, I would summarise it as SMOOTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The best track I've heard so far, and it stands out because i've not heard it on the radio in many years, was Sally Oldfield with Mirrors which was played shortly after midnight.

Fuzzy Clam - I owe you one, big time! I'd been trying to figure out all day yesterday who that was! Described it to someone as a cross between Mike Oldfield & Kate Bush, and no avail!

Thou hast reinstated my sanity (and caused me to fire up iTunes) :)

Thanks a MILLION ( + a Fianna Fail dig-out + an Anglo Irish fiddle + a GDP deficit) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You're welcome, Liam.

Advertisement