Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boro v Liverpool Match Thread Sat 15:00

• 27-02-2009 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Off to the unhappy hunting grounds that is the Riverside go Liverpool, hoping to build on the massive momentum from Wednesday night and just possibly making Fergie's bum that bit squeakier for the next while anyway.

So the boy Torres is doubtful but the good news is that Gerrard looks set to start.

Just to remind people how shockingly bad our record on Teeside is we have a miserable record there since the Premiership with Middlesbro 5 wins, Liverpool 3, Draws 5 and have scored just one league goal in their last six league visits to Teesside with the goalscorer being Fernando Torres goal last year. :eek::(

As against that Boro have been very poor this season and are right down there in the relegation zone battling for survival. They've drawn six and lost eight of 14 Premier League matches (six points out of 42) since defeating Aston Villa 1-2 at Villa Park on 9 November and not scored in four games, or 495 minutes (eight hours 15 minutes) of Premier League football. However you have to wonder if their two nil win over West Ham on Wednesday might get things going for them.

I'm expecting a line-up something like the following and would expect a 4-2-3-1 formation but could see Benayoun, Kuyt and Babel shifting around and maybe even Kuyt and Babel starting up front

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Benayoun Gerrard Babel
    Kuyt

Subs : Cavailieri, Hyypia, Agger, Insua, Lucas, N'gog, Riera, El Zhar

I don't know if Agger's back is ok but I would expect so.
    I have Insua in there ahead of Dossena (more in hope than anything)

As for the Boro lineup I don't know enough to make that educated of a guess but I wouldn't be surprised if they try to keep midfield as congested as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

is this on Setanta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

is this on Setanta?

Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I don't think this is on Setanta - just checked their website and no sign of it being on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I could've swore I saw it being plugged during the week on Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

0-0 draw, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Definately on Setanta!!

Boro are a terrible team, Liverpool 2/3-0

Edit: thought the match was on at Anfield, could be 0-0 alright, Boro draw alot of home games.

Ah as its away thats a win Liverpool win then!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It is on Setanta Sports 1, this is the 'premium' channel, i.e. not the one that comes 'free' with NTL basic pack..

I don't think this is on Setanta - just checked their website and no sign of it being on?

Forgot to change location to Ireland when checking. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

I reckon he'll play Dirk Diggler up front on his own. 0-0

• Advertisement

So Torres definately out :( and doesn't sound the most positive regarding the Sunderland game :(

Gerrard is much better but saying they havent decide whether or not to risk him. - Somehow I think it might be worth it.

Also D.Agger out as well.

Fingers crossed Torres will be back in the squad for the Sunderland game - even if he doesn't start, it would be great to be able to bring him on for a 10/15 min run.

The second bit about Parry is in here cos of the bits about the game.
    TORRES OUT OF BORO CLASH
    Jimmy Rice 27 February 2009
    Fernando Torres has been ruled out of Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough with a twisted ankle sustained against Real Madrid.
    The Spain international was substituted after 61 minutes of Wednesday's 1-0 victory and has not recovered in time for the Riverside.

He now faces a race against time to be fit for the visit of Sunderland on Tuesday.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Torres is not fit and won't be in the squad.

"It is a problem he has had before and we will have to check over the weekend to see if he is available for Sunderland."

Steven Gerrard is part of the squad as Liverpool return to Premier League action, but Daniel Agger again misses out with a back injury.
    RAFA'S REACTION TO PARRY DEPARTURE
    Jimmy Rice 27 February 2009
    Rafa Benitez insists he and Rick Parry will continue to work closely over the next three months to ensure 2008-09 ends in glory for Liverpool.
    The club announced on Friday morning that its chief executive would leave at the end of the season.

Asked for his response at a pre-Middlesbrough press conference, Benitez said: "It's a decision between the owners and Rick Parry.

"We have very important games coming up. We'll work together for the rest of the season and after this we will wish him all the best.

"We know everyone wants the best for the club. We'll try to work together, try to win games and be successful.

"The relationship has been good and professional and now it will be the same because we both want the best for the club."

On the pitch, Liverpool head to the north east without Fernando Torres due to a twisted ankle.

Steven Gerrard will travel, though Benitez has yet to decide if his skipper will start following a hamstring injury.

The boss said: "Gerrard is much better. He was training. I've spoken to him and the doctor. If we decide to use him it's because we've decided it's not a risk. But we still have time to decide. We'll talk some more today and decide on Saturday."

Benitez admits Saturday's 3pm kick-off is a must-win clash after Liverpool fell seven points behind leaders Manchester United with a 1-1 draw with City last weekend.

"We have to win almost every game and this is the first," said the Spaniard. "We have to get three points if we want to stay close and put United under pressure a little bit.

"We have two important games before Real Madrid and getting six points is our priority now.

"Middlesbrough are a good team. They have a good manager who is improving.

"Their Cup win over West Ham on Wednesday will be positive for them. They played really well against us at Anfield, so it will be dangerous as they have some quality."

Meanwhile, Benitez praised the professionalism of his players following their famous Bernabeu win on Wednesday night - an occasion preceded by wild speculation about the manager's future.

He said: "The behaviour of the players is really good. With all the things you hear in the press and TV, they're still playing really well and winning against teams like Real Madrid. They've shown they're really good professionals."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

should be a walk in the park 3/4 nil confidence will be artificially high from wed

ntlbell wrote: »
    should be a walk in the park 3/4 nil confidence will be artificially high from wed

how on earth can confidence be artificially high? Are they pretending? They're either confident or they're not

how on earth can confidence be artificially high? Are they pretending? They're either confident or they're not

One goes to spain and beats "real madrid" 0-1 you're on top of the world.

what one forget's the real team was pretty average and even an average real team had one on the back foot for 80 minutes or so

so it's a form of false confidence.

understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont understand.

Real team is pretty average? Weren't they the form team in Europe after only possibly Utd?

Lets see if any of our spanish football experts are as quick to jump in as they were before Wednes when anyone said a bad word about Real.

And did you really imply Real had Liverpool on the back foot for 80mins?

good to see you starting your contribution to this thread earlier than usual.

and there was me thinking Boro would be full of misplaced confidence after beating West Ham 2-0 in the Cup.

3/4 nil to boro, you're havin' a laugh.

i said 3/4 nil to the pool mike.

just noticed i didn't say it but that's what i was implying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what one forget's the real team was pretty average and even an average real team had one on the back foot for 80 minutes or so

understand?

NTL thats dodgey reasoning at best.
    Artificial confidence?
    Confidence is confidence is confidence, doesn't matter if they're confident after beating a team which weren't all that good - they're still confident!

Should there be a scale of achievement whereby once someone achieve's something sufficiently great they're allowed to be justifiably confident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

And the cycle continues...

i said 3/4 nil to the pool mike.

just noticed i didn't say it but that's what i was implying.

aw no, not you AGAIN

• Advertisement

understand?

Back foot for 80 minutes is a bit of a stretch. The vast majority of the game was played in midfield and Madrid didn't really create anything the whole game. That should give us plenty of confidence, should it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

artifical confidence is a great phrase for stirring it up, genius in my books.

scrappy 1-0 win for the pool imo benny to net again

Back foot for 80 minutes is a bit of a stretch. The vast majority of the game was played in midfield and Madrid didn't really create anything the whole game. That should give us plenty of confidence, should it not?

dont bother replying to that lad, he is a manc fan always hanging around pool threads

rarnes1 wrote: »
    dont bother replying to that lad, he is a manc fan always hanging around pool threads

oh, i know him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Gerrard doesn't start I'll back the 0-0 draw. Alves would still miss an open goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

3-0 stroll for the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

We should be grateful to ntlbell for his innovations in the field of social psychology. There's a hint of Marxist 'false consciousness' in there too. Bravo sir, a real tour de force.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'd LOVE a win, ANY win for the pool. 10-0 would be a bonus but a win is badly needed!

Arbeloa is possibly injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

understand?

Are you seriously suggesting that Real had liverpool on the back foot for 80 minutes ? One shot of note and that from range. You really are showing yourself up here NTL.

I think that we will have to go out fast against them, get an early goal and then they will crumble, at least that is what I am hoping for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Probably a draw, our record at the Riverside stinks to high heaven. However, couldn't really give a ****. We won the game that truly matters for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

?

we havent secured 2nd yet. would like us to at least have second spot secured as soon as possible. need a win here

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

False confidence, isn't a ****ing term, it actually doesn't make sense, what a ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Arbeloa out, Agger out, Torres out. I'd expect Gerrard to feature though even if coming off the bench like on Wed.

Most likely going to see Carragher, Hypia, Skrtel & Aurelio at the back - unless he goes for 3 at the back like against Pompey but that would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why the inverted commas? Was it not Real Madrid? Did they somehow sneak in the Racing Santander team ?

• Advertisement

ntlbell is such a low grade troll.

el rabitos wrote: »
    ?

we havent secured 2nd yet. would like us to at least have second spot secured as soon as possible. need a win here

Meh, we are not going to win the league / not going to finish 5th. Champions League should now be the priority.

Nope wrong attitude, 2nd means 2 fewer tricky games next season and finishing ahead of Chelsea is a worthwhile target as well.

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope wrong attitude, 2nd means 2 fewer tricky games next season and finishing ahead of Chelsea is a worthwhile target as well.

So, is:

- finishing second to have two less games next season and finish ahead of Chelsea;

more important than

- Progressing as far as possible in the Champions League;

?

I think not. As such, for me, today's game is not as important as Wednesday in Madrid - or the return in Anfield on Tuesday week.

Bearing in mind how close Liverpool came to exiting the CL at the first hurdle (not for the first time) 2nd place should be fought for, also if you are not fighting for 2nd how could Liverpool ever have a chance of winning the PL which is not yet impossible with the Utd game still to come?

Does Liverpool not bother against Sunderland on Tuesday either?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

guys, both are important, very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well I've seen it numerous times on here that the only thing Liverpool fans wanted this season was a title challenge. It would be funny if that changed to just do well in champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Kuyt up front then :(

Well thats not too bad, don't like Carra at RB but little choice there.

Reina,
    Carragher Hyypia, Skrtel, Aurelio
    Alonso-Mascherano
    El Zhar
    Gerrard
    Babel,
    Kuyt

Benny to come on to secure the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why isnt Benayoun playing ? He has created or scored a goal in every game that he has played in recently. I know he played a full game during the week, but he hasnt featured much this season so he cant be that tired. Personally, I would have went with something like this :

Reina

Carra----Hyypia----Skrtel----Aurelio

Alonso
    Gerrard
    Kuyt
    El Zhar
    Benayoun

Babel

Good to see El Zhar get a start, will be interesting to see how he performs from the start. Can be very different to getting thrown in with 20mins left with a responsibility of changing the game.

Sunderland come calling on Tuesday so thats why El Zhar is starting over Yossi today I think.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sunderland come calling on Tuesday so thats why El Zhar is starting today I think.

ahhh touche, I never even thought of that. I suppose 3 games in 7 days is a bit much.

Its great for the reserves as well, to be able to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that if they keep at it, they'll get their chance.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Its great for the reserves as well, to be able to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that if they keep at it, they'll get their chance.

In one way...yes. In another way, this is possibly the most important game of the season for us...the epitome of a must win game. If we lose, our season (in regards to the league) is over. So Id feel more comfortable if we had more quality on the pitch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement