Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final, Man United vs Spurs

• 27-02-2009 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, it could be Spurs vs United, i don't know who the home side are for this game.

Starting to get excited about this game now. Chance for United to bag their third (:D) trophy of the season and one i am hoping we don't pass up. I will be very interested to see who plays on Sunday. I would imagine there are injury concerns over Evans and Rafael for a start, Anderson is only coming back from injury having played 45 for the reserves last night.

First selection problem for Fergie will be who starts in goals. It is between Foster and Tommy K, and while my vote would go to Foster, I have no idea who Fergie will pick.

If he follows the same selection pattern as previous rounds, we could see a back line of: Raf, Neville, Evans, O'Shea. However, i'm not sure if any of them are fit for the match given all 4 either sat out the game in midweek, or were on painkillers to get through it.

Midfield is another issue. Gibson is a certainty to start, Fergie has said so already. The rest... i'm not so sure. Fletcher, Anderson and Giggs are all possibilities for the second CM role. On the wings I imagine Nani will start on the left and I would actually be surprised if Ronaldo did not start.

Up front it has to be, on CC merit, Tevez and Welbeck - and I hope that is the combination we go with.

As for Spurs.... I have no idea at all what they will do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was slightly confused with Harrys comments midweek. Was his plan to rest players in the Uefa and Carling cup, or just Uefa for the Carling cup final?

Foster
    Neville Vidic Evans Rafael
    Nani Gibson Giggs Ronaldo
    Tevez Welbeck ----

should be Manchesters line up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Should be an interesting game. Utd are favourites, and I believe Harry will play as strong as squad as he can. We have a few players injured and cup tied but I reckon we'll look like this;

Gomes
    Corluka--Woodgate--King--Assou-Ekotto
    ----Lennon-Jenas-Zokora-Modric----
    Pav
    Bent

I hope he doesn't go with just one up front, which would mean Modric moving from the left to behind the striker and someone like Huddlestone coming into the middle. I don't have great confidence in our strike partners working well together, but it's the best option we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Trilla wrote: »
    Was slightly confused with Harrys comments midweek. Was his plan to rest players in the Uefa and Carling cup, or just Uefa for the Carling cup final?

Foster
    Neville Vidic Evans Rafael
    Nani Gibson Giggs Ronaldo
    Tevez Welbeck ----

should be Manchesters line up

Think the ManU line up will be stronger than that. When all the posturing and bullsh1t spin is put aside I reckon both teams will field close to their strongest teams.....this means I will be watching the game through my fingers (guess who I support;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm not too sure how people are saying United are favourites. I would be inclined to think that, with Redknapp playing as strong a team as he can muster and Ferguson sticking with the young lads, Spurs would be more likely to win.

I read something saying that Wellbeck might be playing on the wing for some reason? And that Foster seems to be in line to start. It'd be great if they manage to win it.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Should be an interesting game. Utd are favourites, and I believe Harry will play as strong as squad as he can. We have a few players injured and cup tied but I reckon we'll look like this;

Gomes
    Pav
    Bent

I hope he doesn't go with just one up front, which would mean Modric moving from the left to behind the striker and someone like Huddlestone coming into the middle. I don't have great confidence in our strike partners working well together, but it's the best option we have.

Is Palacios cup tied SuperSi? Thats a big loss if its the case, he has been our best player recently.

Thats probably the strongest team we could field considering players being cup tied. Its a toss up between Gomes and Cuddicini in goal. Gomes looked a bit more solid last night and CG did not look great against Hull but Gomes still gives me the jitters when I see him between the sticks. Cudicinni is liable to have a bad game but it seems to me Gomes is always only a few steps from full blown implosion (granted he has improved a lot over the last few months).

Looks a decent side but it all depends on what Jena, Pav and Bent decide to show up.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As far as I kow, Palacios can play. I think Wigan got knocked out in the first game they played and I don't think Palacios played in it.

Also, for United, Rafael is out (possibly for the next month)

EDIT: Palacios is cup tied, was completely wrong on that one.

As far as I kow, Palacios can play. I think Wigan got knocked out in the first game they played and I don't think Palacios played in it.

Also, for United, Rafael is out (possibly for the next month)

I like that post.

Has to be Palacios in the middle with Jenas imo. Palacios is on a different planet to Zokora.

EDIT: Just seen both Palacios and Cudicini are cup tied.:(

Babybing wrote: »
    I like that post.

Has to be Palacios in the middle with Jenas imo. Palacios is on a different planet to Zokora.

you may not like it after the edit....

As for the United line-up (previous post of yours) United won't play their strongest side, not close to it really, unless real injuries force us into playing more of the first 11 regulars. It won't be kids either though, it will be the same as it has been for the rest of the competition, the fringe players; it just happens that a number of them are kids.

you may not like it after the edit....

As for the United line-up (previous post of yours) United won't play their strongest side, not close to it really, unless real injuries force us into playing more of the first 11 regulars. It won't be kids either though, it will be the same as it has been for the rest of the competition, the fringe players; it just happens that a number of them are kids.

I hope thats the case because it really make it a good game...after all we arguably have six first choice players out so it would be unfair if Unitedplayed a full strength squad;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping Ronaldo doesnt play anyway

give tosic ago,didnt play that good last night but he was playing out of position

so the I would for for

nani----ando----gibson----tosic

----welbeck
    tevez

I would be very disappointed if scholes plays

• Advertisement

We've had the Ronaldo discussion previously, and I still reckon Ronaldo will start.

As for Tosic, no way would I be starting him. He was rubbish last night and the reason he was out of position is because he kept drifting. From what i could tell, in the first half at least, he was supposed to be a left winger. Also not sure if I would start Anderson. Only managed 45 last night and while there were moments of good play I think he looked a little too rusty. I'd have him on the bench. Again, going on last night, i'd almost be saying Lee Martin should make the squad. He was fantastic for the reserves last night, and has been in great form for them recently. I'd consider him for the bench.

It will certainly be interesting to see what side Ferguson picks. I know for certain that Sunday is gonna ddddddddddddddrag.

Headshot wrote: »
    give tosic ago,didnt play that good last night but he was playing out of position

I'd offer 50/1 right now that Tosic will start

Can't see it tbh

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd offer 50/1 right now that Tosic will start

Can't see it tbh

mitch was right, he was very bad last night

but Ronaldo was one of our best players away to inter, so I would like him rested for the CL

im fully sure welbeck and tevez will start but i wouldnt be that suprise to see Rooney play,he needs the games

I would like him to play but it be very unfair on welbeck and tevez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I would guess:

Foster
    Neville--Vidic--O'Shea--Fabio
    Nani--Gibson--Scholes--Ronaldo
    Tevez--Welbeck

I'd like to see Park & Ronaldo start on the wings, but I can't see it happening after Tuesday's match. Also, am I right in thinking Neville will be back fit for this match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Gomes
    corluka-King-Woodgate-BAE
    Lennon-Jenas-Modric-Bently
    Bent---Pav
    subs
    Zokora
    Dawson
    O'Hara
    Giovanni
    Obika

Headshot wrote: »
    mitch was right, he was very bad last night

but Ronaldo was one of our best players away to inter, so I would like him rested for the CL

im fully sure welbeck and tevez will start but i wouldnt be that suprise to see Rooney play,

I would like him to play but it be very unfair on welbeck and tevez
    Inter at home isn't next week, we have Newcastle away on wednesday in the league and Fulham away in the cup on saturday, so resting Ronnie on Sunday with an eye on the Inter game doesn't make sense. I assume you thought Inter was Wednesday coming?

On Rooney, I agree - the fact he only played a few minutes against inter would point to that alright. Though Tevez didn't play at all himself. Would be a massive disappointment to either Welbeck or Tevez if they lost their spot to him. If Ronaldo doesn't start i suppose it is possible we could see Rooney and Tevez up front with Welbeck on the wing, where he has played for us this season.

On the injury front, Rafael is out, Brown is out, Neville is a doubt (imo, heard nothing about his fitness over the last couple of weeks, Evans is certainly a doubt as he has said so himself, and I'd have a question mark on O'Shea, but then he did come through the Inter game grand. I'd have fitness concerns regarding Anderson too.

Wonder if we could see Fabio start at right back, as he played there for the reserves last night (I was more impressed with Eckersley playing out of position on the left though, to be honest - reminds me of Brown in terms of tackling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

UNITED:

Foster

O'Shea
    Vidic
    Evans
    Fabio

Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Fletcher
    Nani

Tevez
    Welbeck

TOTTENHAM

Cudicini

Corluka
    Woodgate
    King
    Assou-Ekotto

Lennon
    Jenas
    Zokora
    Modric

Pavlyuchenko
    Bent

Inter at home isn't next week, we have Newcastle away on wednesday in the league and Fulham away in the cup on saturday, so resting Ronnie on Sunday with an eye on the Inter game doesn't make sense. I assume you thought Inter was Wednesday coming?

Wonder if we could see Fabio start at right back, as he played there for the reserves last night (I was more impressed with Eckersley playing out of position on the left though, to be honest - reminds me of Brown in terms of tackling)

ya i taught it was wednesday coming :o

ya Eckersley was very good last night, I dont why he was playing there but did an excellent job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SuprSi wrote: »

Gomes
    Pav
    Bent

I'd go with that, bit unfair on Dawson who's played a huge part in getting us there to drop him though. I just hope King is better than he was on Monday night, cos he looked very sluggish then.

Subs should be: Jansson, Dawson, O'Hara, Huddlestone, Bentley.

That preety much ties us to going 4-5-1 if Bent or Pav are injured/sh1t, he might be tempted to have Gio on the bench in place of Huddlestone? O'Hara will definitely be on the bench.

I can't see many goals from our lineup to be honest. If we do line up as I've suggested, I reckon United will get plenty of ball down our left hand side, Modric is no left winger and BAE will be exposed.

is it not 7 on the bench? Not sure how the rules are these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

is it not 7 on the bench? Not sure how the rules are these days.

You are correct, we had 7 on teh bench at the Barcodes.

Two from Gio/Bale/Taarabt/Bostock added to the mix I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I often wonder why the likes of Manchester United care about this cup. I mean it not like its worth anything to them, they are going to be in the CL and this only offers a Uefa Cup spot to the winners. Its also not a big tournament, I'd go as far as saying that the World Club Cup is more meaningful. You have to win what four games if you are in the CL to reach the final? It really has become a joke of a competition since the CL teams got a bye over the rest of the PL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eagle eye wrote: »
    I often wonder why the likes of Manchester United care about this cup.

Look at the Starting XI United have been putting out. Look what Arsenal do.

United have, for as long as I can remember, used this competition for blooding youngsters/bringing players back form injury - in a proper competitive environment.

It's nice for these lads to get a trophy at the end of it.

See the discussion on "B" Teams in the lower leagues, it's a bit like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I often wonder why the likes of Manchester United care about this cup. I mean it not like its worth anything to them, they are going to be in the CL and this only offers a Uefa Cup spot to the winners. Its also not a big tournament, I'd go as far as saying that the World Club Cup is more meaningful. You have to win what four games if you are in the CL to reach the final? It really has become a joke of a competition since the CL teams got a bye over the rest of the PL teams.

Excellent competition to blood youngsters and players returning from injury or needing game time.

They have done that this season and find themselves in the final, not really their fault TBH, it's not like they can boycott it.

Come Sunday at the end of the day it is a cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Rafael will miss Sunday's Carling Cup final and a further month of action, having suffered a fractured ankle.

The 18-year-old, who has been a revelation in his first season at Old Trafford, sustained the injury in last weekend's victory over Blackburn, and Sir Alex Ferguson admits it is a heartbreaking setback for the Brazilian.

"Rafael is out for a month with a slight hairline fracture of his ankle," he told his pre-match press conference. “It’s a blow for the kid because he’s been playing in all the games and he’s done so well. He deserves to be in the final.”

More likely to be involved are Jonny Evans, Gary Neville and Anderson, who are all set to travel to Wembley despite recent injuries. Danny Welbeck and Darron Gibson, meanwhile, are both set to start.

"Gibson and Welbeck will both play and deserve to play," said Sir Alex. “Jonny Evans has hopefully recovered from Tuesday’s match. He was feeling his injury towards the end of the game. Like Rafael he deserves to play in the final.

“Other than that everyone’s fit. Neville’s in the squad, he’s been training well for about a week and will travel with us. Anderson played 45 minutes in the Reserves last night and he’ll travel down with us.”

With Edwin van der Sar likely to be rested over the weekend, Sir Alex admits he must make a difficult choice between Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak in replacing the Dutchman.

“It’s not an easy decision for me, it’s something I’ll have to mull over.”

Sp Rafael is out, Evans is likely to play as well, probably Neville too.

PIG
    Neville--Vidic--Evans---O'Shea
    Gibson---Anderson
    Wellbeck
    Nani
    Rooney-Tevez

Scholes may start ahead of Anderson. Apart from that I think I will be spot on with the midfield and forwards.

The defense is hard as I really don't know who is fit. Evans if fit will play as he has played all previous rounds, I think O'Shea has too so again if fit I think he plays. With Neville struggling to maintain fitness he might not be risked tomorrow with out other right backs injured. Maybe O'Shea at right back and Evra at left back.

In goal is really up for grabs as both Foster and PIG have played two games in the competition. With PIG getting the league game last week I think he may get the nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We don't. We use it as an exercise to get young players games, fringe players games (at the start of the season), players returning from injuries games. We you get to the Semi-finals using this policy why not keep having a go at it.

Also the bye for European teams into the next round of the competition is the best thing for this competition as United put out competitive teams in the competition while following the above structure, we did not do this before that rule was brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LOL, some American Man U fan just asked me who they were playing this weekend.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon United's starting XI will be something like...

Kuszczak
    --Neville--Vidic--Evans---O'Shea
    Gibson---Anderson
    ---Nani
    Giggs

Welbeck---Tevez

I think United will edge it 2-1 after plenty of scares from Spurs. Gibson will be on the scoresheet again as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I think carroller's team is bang on the money.
    Giggs played midweek so will be rested - Scholes will be kept for Newcastle in midweek, I think Anderosn has had too little game time to make this one after the injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I think Rooney Evra and Vidic will start....also Neville(if fit), otherwise O'Shea.

Kuszczak

Neville Evans Vidic Evra

Wellbeck Scholes Gibson Nani

Tevez Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I reckon Scholes will get the nod over Anderson and Foster will get picked ahead of TK. Cant see Giggs starting after playing the full 90 against Inter, same with Park. Rooney needs a game I reckon he will get it tomorrow. Its disapointing for Evans but I think Rio will come in instead of him unless his ankle injury has improved in the last few days.

I think it will be a good game, going to go with 2-1 to United.

Foster
    Neville--Vidic--Rio---O'Shea
    Gibson---Scholes
    Wellbeck
    Nani
    Rooney-Tevez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Gibson and welbeck will definetly start according to Fergie.

Foster
    Fabio
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Welbeck---Rooney

Streams:
    Veetle; http://www.veetle.com/viewChannel.php?cid=4995e3662b978
    http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch1.html
    http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-4216.html
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/soccerhd09a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Gibson and welbeck will definetly start according to Fergie.

Foster
    Fabio
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Welbeck---Rooney

Why would a left back start at right back when there's a right back available to play?

Also, please win United, free up another UEFA Cup spot for the league...

He played RB in the reserves during the week, and he's right footed.

Henry is right footed, but he always played out left.
    Just because your right footed doesn't mean your a right back or have to play on the right side of the park, the guy plays LB, he was bought as a LB.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Henry is right footed, but he always played out left.
    Just because your right footed doesn't mean your a right back or have to play on the right side of the park, the guy plays LB, he was bought as a LB.

I knew it that was gonna be the response - But I had my money on Messi being the example, and not Henry!!

At 18 years old, Fabio has been said to be capable of playing at both FB positions and on the wings so I dont think we can pin point him down yet.

Only time will tell but I like Carrollers team too

I think he started off playing as a RB though...I think there's a good chance he'll play there after doing so midweek and he came off a bit early in that game too.

I taught he didnt play that well against city.

I wouldnt have Evra playing,put fabio in there instead and have Eckersley as RB

He plays LB for Brazil underage.

So why would you play a LB at RB when you have a fit RB available?
    It just doesnt make any sense.

And between wiki and googling him the only positions he's played are DM, LB and left wing apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He plays LB for Brazil underage.

So why would you play a LB at RB when you have a fit RB available?
    It just doesnt make any sense.

And between wiki and googling him the only positions he's played are DM, LB and left wing apparently
    Denis Irwin would be a good example of why you might do this. The other way around of course he played LB but was equally as effective at RB when required.

• Advertisement

Denis Irwin would be a good example of why you might do this. The other way around of course he played LB but was equally as effective at RB when required.

Denis Irwin was a lot better and experienced than Fabio tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

BIG-MATCH FACTS
    Manchester United take on the holders Tottenham Hotspur in the 49th League Cup Final and the sixth sponsored by Carling.

United are vying for a unique five-timer. They have already won the World Club Championship in Japan, and stand all square at 0-0 in their last 32 Champions League tie with Inter Milan, going into the Old Trafford leg. The Red Devils are in the box seat at the top of the Premier League table, and have an away tie to Fulham in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

Tottenham will be playing their third match in seven days, having been knocked out of the Uefa Cup by Shakhtar Donetsk on Thursday. Monday's 2-1 win at Hull lifted them three points further away from the Premier League's relegation zone, but they are still uncomfortably close.

This year's final comprises of two of the three most recent winners.

Both these clubs had to knock out two Premier League clubs and two Championship sides to qualify for the final. Both also lost one leg of their semi-final against lower league opposition; Manchester United at Derby, Tottenham at Burnley.

The League ladder

Tottenham lie 13 places below leaders Manchester United in the Premier League table.

Referee

Chris Foy (Merseyide)

FA CUP RECORDS AND BEST PERFORMANCES

MANCHESTER UNITED
    Current form

Unbeaten in 12; won 11 and drawn one in all competitions since losing 1-0, away to Derby in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final on 7 January.

Avoided defeat in 26 of the last 27 matches.

Recent League Cup performance

The 1992 and 2006 League Cup winners are competing in their seventh final.

The Manager

Victory will give Sir Alex Ferguson his third League Cup victory. He will join a distinguished list to have achieved such a feat; Brian Clough (four wins), Bob Paisley and George Graham.

Currently in his 22nd year in charge at Old Trafford, Sir Alex boasts 10 Premier League titles, two Champions League, five FA Cups, two League Cups, the European Cup Winners' Cup, the World Club Championship, the European Super Cup, the Inter-Continental Cup and the FA Charity/Community Shield seven times, excluding the year when United were joint holders.

Player milestones

If he gets a run out, Ryan Giggs will become only the seventh player to play in five League Cup finals. The Welshman could hold the unwanted record of being the first to lose three League Cup finals with the same club.

Wayne Rooney needs a hat-trick to become the first player to score five goals in League Cup finals. He netted twice against Wigan in 2006. Chelsea's Didier Drogba currently holds that record with four.

If Dimitar Berbatov finds the back of the net, he will become the first player to have scored in the final for two different clubs, having opened Tottenham's account from the penalty spot in last season's 2-1 victory over Chelsea.

League Cup fact

United's 4-0 win against Wigan in 2006 was the biggest ever victory in a League Cup final, since the showpiece ceased to be played over two legs.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
    Current form

Monday's league win over Hull was their only victory in five in all competitions.

Won two of 10.

Recent League Cup performance

The 1971, 1973, 1999 and 2008 winners are competing in their seventh League Cup final and are aiming to become the third team to retain the trophy, and the first since Nottingham Forest 19 years ago.

Victory would see Spurs join Aston Villa as the second most successful club in this competition with five wins, two behind Liverpool.

The Manager

Harry Redknapp, who led Portsmouth to FA Cup victory last season, is hoping to become only the second English manager in 13 years to win the League Cup. Steve McClaren was the last to bear that distinction, with Middlesbrough in 2004.

Player milestones

If he plays, Roman Pavlyuchenko will become the first Russian to feature in a League Cup final.

League Cup fact

Last knocked out of this competition by Arsenal in the semi-finals in 2007. Since then they have played 11 games, winning nine, drawing one and losing one.

HEAD to HEAD
    All competitions

Manchester United have won almost twice as many league games as they have lost against Tottenham; won 70, lost 38.

The Red Devils are undefeated in 17 league and cup games against the Londoners, and are meeting them for the third time this season.

The Premier League fixture at White Hart Lane was a goalless draw, but United subsequently knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup, 2-1 in the fourth round at Old Trafford. Paul Scholes and Berbatov both scored within a minute of each other, half an hour after Pavlychenko had given Spurs an early fifth minute lead.

League Cup

But it is a different story in the League Cup. Spurs have won five of their six meetings.

The most recent was a 3-1 triumph in the quarter-finals at the Lane on 2 December 1998, when Chris Armstrong got a brace and David Ginola the other. Teddy Sheringham replied for United. Spurs went on to lift the trophy that season, beating Leicester 1-0 in the final.

The Big Match Facts were compiled by Peter Robinson, and Infostrada Sports.

Mate was saying to me yesterday, last time United and Spurs met in a LC Final, spurs were in a relegation battle, Spurs won and United went on to do the treble.

Mate was saying to me yesterday, last time United and Spurs met in a LC Final, spurs were in a relegation battle, Spurs won and United went on to do the treble.

He was pulling your leg Frisbee.

Most importantly we finished 11th that year with 47 points:)
    Here's to a repeat:D

Most importantly we finished 11th that year with 47 points:)
    Here's to a repeat:D

What year was it?

1998-99
    Edit fair enough we were'nt at the bottom of the table after 8 games tho we where mid table didn't stop Gross getting fired tho.

1998-99

Oh right, was wondering, United have never met Spurs in a LC final, they beat Martin O'Neills Leicester that year in a horrible final.

They did knock United out, but that was early on.

Boggles wrote: »
    What year was it?

Really have no idea, he jsut said it in passing.

Really have no idea, he jsut said it in passing.

They knocked them out in the 4th round I think. 98-99.

• Advertisement
Advertisement