Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final, Man United vs Spurs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Bit pissed now as I am only going to get to see the first half and not going to know if we win as I am going to the Atletico Madrid v Barcelona game this evening. Damn Spanish football and there ridiculous kick-off times. I would rather watch us play the final than to see Messi run up and down the wing in fairness but what can you do ! Hopefully I will come home to some good news fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

RE: Ronaldo. I would have liked to see him play a couple of weeks ago, but I think he's shown he's back to his best, especially against Inter, as such I'd like to see

Foster
    -O'Shea
    Evans
    Vidic
    Fabio
    Nani
    Gibson
    Anderson
    Tosic
    Welbeck---Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tevez deserves to play, he's been cracking in the competition. Though I do think with Rooney still coming back to full fitness he'll play. So perhaps Wellbeck on the right? He played very well there against Spurs in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    RE: Ronaldo. I would have liked to see him play a couple of weeks ago, but I think he's shown he's back to his best, especially against Inter, as such I'd like to see

Foster
    -O'Shea
    Evans
    Vidic
    Fabio
    Nani
    Gibson
    Anderson
    Tosic
    Welbeck---Rooney
    if ROnaldo doesn't play, i'd have Nani left, Welbeck right and Tevez up front with Rooney.

Welbeck and Tevez must play imo, if Tevez is dropped for Rooney i'll be very disappointed, Tevez deserves his starting spot.

I just want Rooney to get some match fitness, anywhere on the pitch. Tevez I guess deserves it, and it would be a real kick in the teeth, but the big campaign must come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Tosic aint in the squad.

Well thats that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Bit late to this thread, I'll go for

Foster
    JOS
    Vida----Evans---Fabio-
    Carrick--Gibson--Giggs----
    -Welbeck
    Ronaldo-
    Tevez

3-0 United. Welbeck 32nd min, Dedley Ledley OG 44th min and Rooney to come on and finish it off with a screamer somewhere around 79th min.
    Spurs will miss a pen at 1-0.

I wonder what odds PP would give me for all of the above to happen? :D

Breaking news: Jonathan Woodgate is a concern for Spurs after returning to the dressing rooms for treatment. More when we get it.

As expected, Fergie has given Darron Gibson and Danny Welbeck a starting berth for the Final. Rafael Da Silva is out with a fractured ankle but striker Wayne Rooney is set to start.

Tottenham's chances have already been blighted by the fact that Robbie Keane, Wilson Palacios, Carlo Cudicini and Pascal Chimbonda are all cup-tied. They will join Mrs Pavlyuchenko in the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Woodgate out warming up over an hour and a half before kick off?? Must have been a late fitness test because players wouldn't be due out for warm up till about 2.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

eagle eye wrote: »
    I often wonder why the likes of Manchester United care about this cup. I mean it not like its worth anything to them, they are going to be in the CL and this only offers a Uefa Cup spot to the winners. Its also not a big tournament, I'd go as far as saying that the World Club Cup is more meaningful. You have to win what four games if you are in the CL to reach the final? It really has become a joke of a competition since the CL teams got a bye over the rest of the PL teams.

because they're a f**king football club in a f**king football tournament! :mad:

united cared about it in 2006, and liverpool in 2001 and 2003. wasn't too small a trophy for the prawn cocktail brigade then was it! Ask arsenal if they'd be interested in it now that they're shining light is darkening... I wonder if chelsea would have liked it last year as they endured another trophyless season! John terry cried after losing the league cup final last year, ask him "why he cares about the cup"! If united players dont care about the cup, they're not the type of footballers you should be supporting!! But hey, what do i know, my team has never played in the champions league so my opinion doesnt mean as much! I often wonder why teams like Ebbsfleet give a toss about the FA Trophy, there's no europeam place associated with, so why should they care!! I'm not even sure I should bother showing up to my UCFL Division 3A Shield Quarter Final, cos whats the point, its not teh f**king champions league!!!

why do i love the league cup?!!? because i fooooking loved sitting amongst the united fans at old trafford as coventry city spanked united 2-0 as 10,000 sky blue fans outsung 60,000+ united glory supporters! "ah sure, we had a reserve team..." yea, £73m worth of reserve team!!!

i don't care if united give a toss about the league cup... I GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THE LEAGUE CUP

spurs-celebrating.jpg
    also, if you look closely, you'll see your £35m sulk box bulgarian clown caring about the league cup!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Tosic aint in the squad.

Why did people think he would start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

ditpoker wrote: »
    Ask arsenal if they'd be interested in it now that they're shining light is darkening...

Wouldn't have played our youth team if we cared about it tbh...

Trilla wrote: »
    Why did people think he would start?

Dunno. According to the BBC; Foster, Kuszczak, Neville, Fabio, Gibson, Evans, Vidic, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Evra, Welbeck, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Park, Scholes, Nani, Ronaldo, Giggs, Tevez, Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

wasn't too small a trophy for the prawn cocktail brigade then was it! Ask arsenal if they'd be interested in it now that they're shining light is darkening... I wonder if chelsea would have liked it last year as they endured another trophyless season! John terry cried after losing the league cup final last year, ask him "why he cares about the cup"! If united players dont care about the cup, they're not the type of footballers you should be supporting!! But hey, what do i know, my team has never played in the champions league so my opinion doesnt mean as much! I often wonder why teams like Ebbsfleet give a toss about the FA Trophy, there's no europeam place associated with, so why should they care!! I'm not even sure I should bother showing up to my UCFL Division 3A Shield Quarter Final, cos whats the point, its not teh f**king champions league!!!

why do i love the league cup?!!? because i fooooking loved sitting amongst the united fans at old trafford as coventry city spanked united 2-0 as 10,000 sky blue fans outsung 60,000+ united glory supporters! "ah sure, we had a reserve team..." yea, £73m worth of reserve team!!!

[/SIZE]

yawn....

I counted 22 exclamation marks in the original post.

Anyway, when should we hear team news?

Oh and its prawn sandwich brigade :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

united cared about it in 2006, and liverpool in 2001 and 2003. wasn't too small a trophy for the prawn cocktail brigade then was it! Ask arsenal if they'd be interested in it now that they're shining light is darkening... I wonder if chelsea would have liked it last year as they endured another trophyless season! John terry cried after losing the league cup final last year, ask him "why he cares about the cup"! If united players dont care about the cup, they're not the type of footballers you should be supporting!! But hey, what do i know, my team has never played in the champions league so my opinion doesnt mean as much! I often wonder why teams like Ebbsfleet give a toss about the FA Trophy, there's no europeam place associated with, so why should they care!! I'm not even sure I should bother showing up to my UCFL Division 3A Shield Quarter Final, cos whats the point, its not teh f**king champions league!!!

i don't care if united give a toss about the league cup... I GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THE LEAGUE CUP

spurs-celebrating.jpg
    also, if you look closely, you'll see your £35m sulk box bulgarian clown caring about the league cup!!!!!

Don't worry mate, I'll give the waaaaaaambulance a ring.

spurs-celebrating.jpg

Some rant man!

Don't tar us all with the same brush, I'm up for this final just as much as yourself and I'd say it's the same with most Utd fans....anyway ain't eagle eye a Blackburn fan or something?

Woodgate is out according to SS.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Woodgate is not playing according to SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Foster
    Oshea
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Tevez
    Welbeck

finally beaten Rockman:pac:

• Advertisement

Spurs:

Gomes

Corluka King Dawson Essou-Ekotto

Lennon Jenas Zokora Modric

Bent Pav

Utd:

Foster

JOS Evans Rio Evra

Ronaldo Gibson Scholes Nani

Tevez Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Headshot wrote: »
    Foster
    Oshea
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Tevez
    Welbeck

finally beaten Rockman
    And Foster in goal. Strong team.

Foster
    Oshea
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Tevez
    Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Beaten by Headshot

Not liking Evans + Rio together at the back.

great to see foster start
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Beaten by Headshot

:P

No Rooney, Carrick or Fletcher in squad!

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Not liking Evans + Rio together at the back.
    They didnt put a foot wrong Wednesday night against Inter, Im sure they will be fine today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nunu wrote: »
    No Rooney, Carrick or Fletcher in squad!

They never really featured in the cup run so they don't deserve to be in the squad imo.

RasTa wrote: »
    They never really featured in the cup run so they don't deserve to be in the squad imo.

Suppose....but Rooney really needs game time. One things for certain he will be absolutely fuming.....watch out Newcastle on Wednesday:eek:

No Berbatov either. Strange bench tbh? Where are the striking options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'd say Rooney will come on at some stage though.

Actually a stronger side than I expected - really only Gibson and Welbeck (and Foster obv) are newbies.

Really looking forward to the match now. Hurry up 3pm!

• Advertisement

Actually a stronger side than I expected - really only Gibson and Welbeck (and Foster obv) are newbies.

Rooney isnt on the bench.

Bench:
    PIG
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Park
    Vidic
    Eckersley
    Possebon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

yawn....

I counted 22 exclamation marks in the original post.

Anyway, when should we hear team news?

Oh and its prawn sandwich brigade :rolleyes:

why would you count the exclamation marks?:confused:

Bench:
    PIG
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Park
    Vidic
    Eckersley
    Possebon

Thanks for that - totally missed the bench! :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No one else really featured - Anderson, Raf and Possebon would be 3 other players who would deserving of a start. Raf is injured Anderson is only coming back from injury and i'm not sure Possebon is really deserving of the place and hasn't really been impressing me in the last few outings i have seen him, seems to be off the pace.

Very disappointed Rooney isn't on the bench - no striking option there. Worrying and disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Headshot wrote: »
    Foster
    Oshea
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Gibson
    Scholes
    Nani
    Tevez
    Welbeck

finally beaten Rockman:pac:

That side is too strong for Spurs. Cup is ours brothers !

Rooney supposedly has a virus....he's at the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bench:
    PIG
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Park
    Vidic
    Eckersley
    Possebon

Possebon and Eckersley on if we're ahead near the end

Good experience for them

Ando too, he could use a run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Gibson and Scholes the most important people on the pitch. Defense should be as good as it has been for most of the season. Plenty of people in the attack to score goals. Just need Gibson and Scholes to get control in the middle.

Come on!

Disappointed with the team. It's imo too heavy with experienced players. Anderson should be playing ahead of Scholes. Fabio should be playing ahead of Evra.
    Won't make the victory as sweet.

Good for Gibson though, this is his chance to impress Fergie in the long term. A performance today would give him a real shot at making it at United.

I think we'll score at least one goal from a set piece tonight. Also I think a headed goal may well be something we'll see.

• Advertisement

Right, peace out lads.

I really hope Tevez or Scholes win it for us. I expect it to be Ronaldos final and if Nani can turn it on too I see a convincing Utd win.

Enjoy the game.....COME ON UTD!!!

lol, fanometer, this should be interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anyone got a decent stream going yet?

Disappointed with the team. It's imo too heavy with experienced players. Anderson should be playing ahead of Scholes. Fabio should be playing ahead of Evra.

Good for Gibson though, this is his chance to impress Fergie in the long term. A performance today would give him a real shot at making it at United.

I think we'll score at least one goal from a set piece tonight. Also I think a headed goal may well be something we'll see.
    I think Anderson would have started if he hadnt been injured the last few weeks.

I agree with you about Gibson, massive game for him he grabs this opportunity with two hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ando has only played half a game for the reserves, I want him to play too but it's still a cup final tbh

I agree about Fabio though, woulda liked to see him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm in work so will need a stream for half the office.

• Advertisement

Lol at Jeffs "Lets be having ya" at the fanometer! :D

Jeff Stelling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Richard Keys

nuxxx wrote: »
    anyone got a decent stream going yet?
    RasTa wrote: »
    I'm in work so will need a stream for half the office.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59231629&postcount=33

Rooney out with a virus according to Fergie, would have played otherwise. Might be a doubt for Wednesdays game too.

Lol at Jeffs "Lets be having ya" at the fanometer! :D

Jeff Stelling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Richard Keys

+1. Love Jeff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not on this one I don't think - there's some Champions League Magazine on or something...

http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-4216.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement