Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Final, Man United vs Spurs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Very disappointed with that. Odd choice of peno takers and I can't say I was too confident with any of the first 3 as they walked up. It's a shame, but that's the way peno's go. Overall a decent performance from Spurs though it was clear they were knackered. Hopefully we can keep that sort of form going for the league and make ourselves safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Charlie wrote: »
    Whoever came up that United Roads song should be shot. Fcuking woeful. Anyone who signs it, shows their true plastic colours tbh.
    So you think all the 'real' fans keep stum when it is being played at OT? Yeah...right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

So you think all the 'real' fans keep stum when it is being played at OT? Yeah...right.

:rolleyes:

Pt.

Your head.

It going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Whoever came up that United Roads song should be shot. Fcuking woeful. Anyone who signs it, shows their true plastic colours tbh.

I take it you didn't see SAF singin it on the way down the steps with the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nani holding the cup

is it me or is he getting worse

he's so bad that babel is actually looking good :pac:

Pt.

Your head.

It going over.

So what the hell DID you mean saying anyone singing it shows their 'true plastic colours'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Headshot wrote: »
    Nani holding the cup

is it me or is he getting worse

he's so bad that babel is actually looking good :pac:
    He was very poor today and the season in general but to be fair he has played his part in this cup run so he deserves to be lifting the cup as much as anyone else.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ando is a legend. That little dance was gas.

So what the hell DID you mean saying anyone singing it shows their 'true plastic colours'?

I wouldn't say the 'Wembley set' are what you would call hardcore fans. They are probably an extension of the Prawn Sandwhich brigade that fills OT these days.

United Roads to me personifies a corporate anthem hat is belted out pre-match at OT every game, so all those tourists can have a sing along. I mean, what are it's roots, or it's connection with the club???

United's away fans on the otherhand are class, and some of the best supporters I have encountered at SJP. I have never once heard them sing United Roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

But he's not a REAL FAN :pac:

That's the equivalent of my mam signing along to an Eminem song without knowing what she is actually signing. He gets a pass for that.

He was very poor today and the season in general but to be fair he has played his part in this cup run so he deserves to be lifting the cup as much as anyone else.

your right superman,he played his part in the cup run,but i think your being too nice in saying "He was very poor today and the season in general" he was terrible today, he has been terrible this season, which is very disappointing because we need a left winger.

He really has gone backwards in his developement

he has ability but idk whats happening with him

im delighted for foster,scholes and ando

great to see ando back in the squad,we'll need him this season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Happy with Ronaldos form at this stage of the season. Not everything is coming off like last season but he is giving his all which I questioned earlier in the season. Tevezs workrate is great but after that he is offering very little. Evans has a good future in front of him. I hope Fergie gives him as many chances as possible. Utd have never had a squad with this depth.

I wouldn't say the 'Wembley set' are what you would call hardcore fans. They are probably an extension of the Prawn Sandwhich brigade that fills OT these days.

United Roads to me personifies a corporate anthem hat is belted out pre-match at OT every game, so all those tourists can have a sing along. I mean, what are it's roots, or it's connection with the club???

United's away fans on the otherhand are class, and some of the best supporters I have encountered at SJP. I have never once heard them sing United Roads

Oh, you mean the fans at wembley cause they got tickets via have a season ticket, those fans? The ones with the season tickets and the ones who were at the other carling cup games? THOSE fans? All the fans that sit in the SE singing along to it, THOSE fans?

Oh, you mean the fans at wembley cause they got tickets via have a season ticket, those fans? The ones with the season tickets and the ones who were at the other carling cup games? THOSE fans? All the fans that sit in the SE singing along to it, THOSE fans?

Yes, those fans. FFS, I would have assumed most United fans on this forum would be embarrassed by that song. Evidently not.

However, I did post the Q. on another forum I frequent
    What a horrible horrible song. Sounds like something DJ Otzi would realise for his annual trip to Magaluf.

Seriously, do proper Manchester United fans cringe when all the mongs lap it up???

Give me Blaydon Races any day of the week.

Here are the responses so far:
    It is awful.
    This has been discussed a while back and I am sure the concensus was that UTD fans hate it.
    of all the songs we sing, when that one gets sung out i want to stick the TV on mute, its a really crap chant
    its a window licker anthem
    Best chant ever!

icon_sad.gif
    the ipod comes out when that comes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Yes, those fans. FFS, I would have assumed most United fans on this forum would be embarrassed by that song. Evidently not.

I'd say most Utd fans like myself don't give a shiny fcuk about the song tbh :D

I prefer Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe myself.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'd say most Utd fans like myself don't give a shiny fcuk about the song tbh :D

I prefer Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe, Champions of England, Champions of Europe myself.

No problem with tbh.

Some coverage from the dressing room on M.U.T.V at the moment

No problem with tbh.

I can't deny having "come on you reds" on cassette single or the follow up which escapes me on cd single by some guy called Stryker i think. Do you not have a sneaky copy of "fog on the tyne" with gazza on vocals ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

That's the equivalent of my mam signing along to an Eminem song without knowing what she is actually signing. He gets a pass for that.

Do you mean 'singing' or 'signing'?? I know the second one makes no sense but you've written signing three times now... am I missing something?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Some coverage from the dressing room on M.U.T.V at the moment

did you see Gibson in the dressing room

looks pretty injured.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I can't deny having "come on you reds" on cassette single or the follow up which escapes me on cd single by some guy called Stryker i think. Do you not have a sneaky copy of "fog on the tyne" with gazza on vocals ? ;)

No, and that's the thing, Fog On The Tyne is an embarrassment to most Geordies, and is certainly never sung at SJP.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    Do you mean 'singing' or 'signing'?? I know the second one makes no sense but you've written signing three times now... am I missing something?

Apologies. I meant the former. I am overly reliant on spell checker, and well, it doesn't flag 'signing' as a misspelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yay :)

This win should be a confidence booster for the team and the kids especially! Difficult game, and it went all the way to penos.

Good experience for the young ones.

I think Foster got MOTM, personally I'd have given it to Lennon, he was a threat every single time he got the ball. Foster was great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nice to add another trophy to the cabinet.

My God was it a tough match to watch, sweet jesus twas painful.

Headshot wrote: »
    did you see Gibson in the dressing room

looks pretty injured.

Yep spotted that.

Also did you see Evans with the can .
    Typical of kids these days , nothing better to do than hang around with their mate drinking Cans;)

He must still be on **** wages;)

Is it just me or was the pitch really really slippery today?

Off the top of my head, I saw Evra, Ronaldo, Gibson, Foster, and JOSH slipping (not even under pressure or tired)!

Was like bambi on ice
    Yep spotted that.

Typical of kids these days , nothing better to do than hang around with their mate drinking Cans;)

What drink was it? If it was Tuborg then he's a legend :D

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Is it just me or was the pitch really really slippery today?

Off the top of my head, I saw Evra, Ronaldo, Gibson, Foster, and JOSH slipping (not even under pressure or tired)!

Was like bambi on ice

What drink was it? If it was Tuborg then he's a legend :D

Carling

OH
    the team where celebrating with wait for it

Carling Black Label Champagne sounds like quality stuff

Carling

OH
    the team where celebrating with wait for it

Carling Black Label Champagne sounds like quality stuff
    Quality, can ya get that in Tesco??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I understand that it was a terrible game, but how did Gibson preform? He did some great work against Southampton in the FA Cup a couple of weeks back and I'm hoping that he put in a good performance tonight. I get the impression that if he doesn't take these few chances Fergy is giving him then his fledgling career at Man U is at an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Very even game, did the best team win? Maybe, just though. All the same it wasnt the most entertaining.

Felt so sorry for O Hara. Bent is very average. Nani is borderline rubbish. Some decent corners but that was it. He'll never make it imo. Ronaldo could have and should have won it. Gibson was average. Some decent passes but the game past him by at times.

Well done to Foster and the Manchester United team.

Yep spotted that.

did you see who gave him that can

bloody aaa-JOS:D

also JOS is beer baron
    beer.jpg

I understand that it was a terrible game, but how did Gibson preform? He did some great work against Southampton in the FA Cup a couple of weeks back and I'm hoping that he put in a good performance tonight. I get the impression that if he doesn't take these few chances Fergy is giving him then his fledgling career at Man U is at an end.

I didn't think he was great. got caught out in possession a few times.

Gibson started well, but he made a few mistakes and his confidence was knocked completely, so he didn't do anything creative from about half way through the first half tbh

Scholesy was magnifique though wasn't he! :eek: Passes from 70 yards right to lads' feet, ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ah jesus i thought Gibson did pretty damn well.

A few nice passes and that rocket that so nearly found the top corner. No mistakes really.

Wasnt United's worst player, that award went to Nani, again... I do have faith that he will still develope but he is frustrating.

Anderson played really well.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ah jesus i thought Gibson did pretty damn well.

A few nice passes and that rocket that so nearly found the top corner. No mistakes really.

Wasnt United's worst player, that award went to Nani, again... I do have faith that he will still develope but he is frustrating.

Anderson played really well.

Almost agree apart from Nani, he's only a few months younger than Ronaldo and its ten times more frustrating and a hundred times less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I was looking at Gibson especially. My view is this. He showed flashes of what he can do. Good passing range, and a good eye for a shot. Fergie says he's in the lampard camp as far as midfielders go, and I'd go with that. Definately some ability there. However, he didn't seem to want the ball, when he didn't have it, he didn't seem to really want it, and when he had it, he wanted rid quickly. I think if he's to progress, especially at Man U, he'll have to stamp himself on the game more. Too absent from the game, by his own doing IMO. He needs to want it more, and believe in his ability to make things happen.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Almost agree apart from Nani, he's only a few months younger than Ronaldo and its ten times more frustrating and a hundred times less effective.

If by a few months you mean 16, you'd be correct.

Boggles wrote: »
    If by a few months you mean 16, you'd be correct.

Ronnie a year and a half ago versus Nani now?

No contest. A year give or take between them in age thats all, but no where near him in any other department. Labelling him as part of the "youngsters", he's less than a year younger than Rooney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dunno what all this talk about gibson mistakes are about i only recall one and he fought back and won back the ball thought he was very solid overall and unlucky not to get on the score sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The thing with Gibbo is if he makes a mistake or two he seems to let it get to him and he looks introverted/dodgy on the ball for a few minutes after.

Also for all those ABUs out there thats two times in as many weeks that United had a stonewall peno not only not given but the player booked for diving. Yet everything goes Uniteds way eh? :)

On-topic congrats to United, nice to have another trophy in the cabinet!

Trilla wrote: »
    Ronnie a year and a half ago versus Nani now?

No contest. A year give or take between them in age thats all, but no where near him in any other department. Labelling him as part of the "youngsters", he's less than a year younger than Rooney!

Thankfully Ferguson when giving youth and potential a go doesn't put them up against not just 2 of the best players at the club but 2 of the best players in world football, one who actually is acredited with being the best footballer on the planet.

I think it would be fairer to judge Nani not just on age but time spent at the club, how was Ronaldo after just 18 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted with the result though I have to admit I feared the worst when it got to penalties. It seemed like it was going to be one of those days with Ronaldo hitting the post and the penalty decision going against us. Thankfully things worked out.

I must give credit to Foster as I haven't been as sold on the guy as others appear to be but today he produced the goods. Scholesy was terrific. Some of his passes are out of this world. I actually thought Gibson did alright. His influence on the game did seem to wane but I didn't regard him as a major liability on the pitch. I think Evans deserves a mention too as he made some important tackles and interceptions. I didn't think he was as good when moved to right-back and I felt O'Shea's presence was actually missed when he had to go off.

All in all a good day. I just hope tiredness doesn't become a factor mid-week. I reckon the squad should handle it.

Fergie is such a bloody legend. Forget the knighthood they should kick the Queen out of Buckingham Palace and put him on the throne. How many trophies has she won anyway? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Boggles wrote: »

I think it would be fairer to judge Nani not just on age but time spent at the club, how was Ronaldo after just 18 months?

why is he being compared to ronaldo at all?

he's not ronaldo he never will be

nani becoming a success at united is not going to be based on the fact that he becomes as good as ronaldo.

he sort of reminds me of damien duff duffer would fly down the wing maybe beat a player then fall down or get tangled up in his own feet or blow the ball into crowd etc

nani has good pace, can beat players, can score goals, some nice link up play he has it all but he has to start doing it a lot more consitently but on the other hand he doesn't seem to be getting the opportunites maybe he's not doing it in training and he's had the niggle earlier on

he is young and i have no doubt he will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

JimiTime wrote: »
    I was looking at Gibson especially. My view is this. He showed flashes of what he can do. Good passing range, and a good eye for a shot. Fergie says he's in the lampard camp as far as midfielders go, and I'd go with that. Definately some ability there. However, he didn't seem to want the ball, when he didn't have it, he didn't seem to really want it, and when he had it, he wanted rid quickly. I think if he's to progress, especially at Man U, he'll have to stamp himself on the game more. Too absent from the game, by his own doing IMO. He needs to want it more, and believe in his ability to make things happen.

One would hope this would come with experience - something he may never get at Man U. I do hope that he won't turn into another John 'Adequately Sufficient' O'Shea.

However, I did post the Q. on another forum I frequent

Here are the responses so far:

I didn't realise disliking somethiung made everyone who sang it a plastic fan though.

I freaking hate the song, but don't think it makes anyone singing it a plastic fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Frisbee wrote: »
    Delighted United won.
    Frees up an extra UEFA Cup spot.

^^^ This

And 'Arry didn't win, which is always great.

Advertisement