Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is there any point in conntacting traffic watch about a dangerous driver?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

??

I was just on the naa's road heading down to Parkwest, when some gob-****e in a blue 3 series decided he wanted into my lane. He was on the phone at the time, rather then indicating he swerved half way into my lane,Oblivious to me, he obviously didn't check his mirror or even look to his right otherwise he would have seen me. I held my hand on my horn and he swerved back in, he then proceeded to cut up the car behind me(a learner driver under instruction). What really pisses me off is I saw him Laughing in my rear view mirror(wonder if he'd be laughing if he hit me or the car behind me)... :mad:

Anyway, I got his reg should I report hit or would it be a waste of time?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If you got his reg number, i'd report him. Even if nothing is done, your report will be on record in the event that he is done for traffic offences in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrsToad

I was travelling my usual road to work one morning when I came up behind a man driving in the middle of the road. The road is bendy and anytime he came to a bend he moved in slightly, but was still well over the white line.

At one really sharp bend a woman coming in the opposite direction nearly ended up in the ditch avoiding him. The look of shock on her face would have been funny if the situation hadn't been so dangerous.

I really thought he was in danger of causing a serious accident so for the first time in my life, I called the traffic watch line. After getting all the details from me they said they would send a car in the direction he was heading. Later that day they called to say they'd interviewed him and he didn't know what I was talking about - he had been driving home from a night-shift, but he "didn't remember" any incidents.

Then they asked me if I wanted to prosecute the driver.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

I wouldn't bother, the traffic unit like the rest of the gardai is so incompetant. Garda will encourage you because he will get a free day out in court (3 1/2 hrs g'teed OT).

It will waste your time, in statements, then court, (leave 4 days free for court visits over the next year).

After 2 years if it hasn't been struck out prepare to be dazzled if the person you reported even gets a fine.

Thats what we have come to expect in this Dump that we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I wouldn't bother, the traffic unit like the rest of the gardai is so incompetant. Garda will encourage you because he will get a free day out in court (3 1/2 hrs g'teed OT).

It will waste your time, in statements, then court, (leave 4 days free for court visits over the next year).

After 2 years if it hasn't been struck out prepare to be dazzled if the person you reported even gets a fine.

Ah, how I love Garda basher's!!!!!! They make me want to do my job even better.

The reason the Gardai asked did you want to prosecute is you were the one who reported him! When they caught up with him he might have been more aware of the patrol car so sharpened up. A garda can only prosecute if thay see the incident or if the person who makes the complaint is willing to follow it through and give a statement of what they witnessed.

They cant bring someone to court on just the basis that someone rang traffic watch and reported them. Otherwise, people would be doing the same thing to every person they dont like just to get them in the sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Always report to the guards. I followed up an incident, a few years ago and the guards went to her house and gave the woman a caution.

I was told by a guard, that when they go to court, the prosecutor (you, i think) invariably always win, the judge usually on goes down on their side. No idea if there is any truth in this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

basically, the judge is taking it that your telling the truth.
    He/she is also taking into account the fact that you believrd that the incident was deemed serious enough to you for you to take time to come to court to see it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Quality post. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

esel wrote: »
    Quality post. :rolleyes:
    Do you think? I just thought that it was more of the same from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

hobochris wrote: »
    ??

I was just on the naa's road heading down to Parkwest, when some gob-****e in a blue 3 series decided he wanted into my lane. He was on the phone at the time, rather then indicating he swerved half way into my lane,Oblivious to me, he obviously didn't check his mirror or even look to his right otherwise he would have seen me. I held my hand on my horn and he swerved back in, he then proceeded to cut up the car behind me(a learner driver under instruction). What really pisses me off is I saw him Laughing in my rear view mirror(wonder if he'd be laughing if he hit me or the car behind me)... :mad:

Anyway, I got his reg should I report hit or would it be a waste of time?

No I am the driver :D

Only Jokein, Offcourse report him although dont be surprised by the fact that the police look at you like you are wasteing their valuable time and by the fact you will never hear from them again ( Comes with experience)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No I am the driver :D

Only Jokein, Offcourse report him although dont be surprised by the fact that the police look at you like you are wasteing their valuable time and by the fact you will never hear from them again ( Comes with experience)
    On the contrary, I have posted here about my experiences with Trafficwatch where my complaints were all welcomed and to my knowledge all acted upon. Maybe they didn't believe you what with the big chip on your shoulder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Podgemcd

I reported an incident to a midlands Garda station some time back where a woman overtook a car coming towards me. She hadn't seen me and proceeded to overtake at high speed. I actually had to hit the ditch to avoid her. I mist admit.... It made me pretty angry. I managed to get her number plate reg the next morning as she travels the road the same time every day. I reported it to my local Garda station as she is consistenty making silly moves on the road putting myself and other drivers at risk. The Garda said the car was registered in a different county and that I'd have to call the relevant station in that county.... What the F**K......... So I asked for his name..... he refused to give it so I said, give me 15 minutes and I'll call in in person. He then proceeded to take details!!!

I called back in 4 weeks to see if they had done anything and there was no information at all on the syatem!!

In my opinion, this country is full of public servants who waste our money. However, these lazy ones give all the good ones a bad name, which shouldn't happen.

I will call "Traffic Watch" the next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I have had mixed experience. I reckon I've called three times in total, one for a drunk driver but because it was a strange road for me I could give details to Gardai to get a car out after him, secondly for a guy refusing to stop at a single file narrow bridge and forcing me to smack on the brakes. Both times the Guards called me back a few times and asked did I want to prosecute and I said I didn't want it to go to court and was happy if they paid the drivers a visit and let them know they were seen and reported, and thus may think twice in future.

Third time I was on the N3 leaving Navan when an artic lorry with no trailer weaved its way up the ring road in and out of cars, probably doing about 60 which is a fair tip for a truck. It was remarkably dangerous. I called right away with his details thinking there'd be ample squad cars in Kells etc. ready to intercept him, but yer man sailed on through and not a thing was done, I got no call back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I called right away with his details thinking there'd be ample squad cars in Kells etc. ready to intercept him, but yer man sailed on through and not a thing was done, I got no call back either.

TrafficWatch goes to a civilian manned call centre somewhere. They type up a report, put it in Pulse and fax a note to the Sargents office for him to look at when he gets a chance - it's not used for reporting urgent incidents.

I've reported quite a few things to them, only a very small number have been acted on and nothing happened in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I've read posts over on the cycling forum about people reporting things to Traffic Watch and getting a pretty good response, and there's no reason why a report from a driver should be any less likely to get a similar reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So you ring to report an offence when doing so means you actually commit an offence by using your mobile? Interesting.

I wouldn't be bothered personally, just don't think they'd be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Savman wrote: »
    So you ring to report an offence when doing so means you actually commit an offence by using your mobile? Interesting.

I wouldn't be bothered personally, just don't think they'd be arsed.
    A lot of non-muppet drivers have hands-free or bluetooth headsets now....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I wonder will this type of thing go down the same route as countires like England, now that we have ANPR here now. Over there if a complaint is made about a car it goes on to that system, and the ANPR triggers when the computer reads the cars plate as it goes past, letting the Gardaí know the car was reported for what ever the complaint may be. Good little system I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Savman wrote: »

Section 3 of the 2006 deals with prohibition of using a mobile phone but read subsection 7 where it is a defence if the person can show they were phoning an emergency service regarding an emergency

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html#id1151527006.39

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

an update: I called traffic watch that night and the guy on the phone took my details, name phone number etc.. and the details of the car and said someone would call me back to get more details... guess what? I've herd nothing back. no calls, no letters, no carrier pigeons.. *sigh*

Have fun waiting to hear from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Have fun waiting to hear from them.
    I wont. I'm not hold my breath on this.

whats the point?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i reported a guy who pulled out in front of me without indicating and i beeped at him to let him know i was there.

he got out at the next set of traffic lights and started hammering on window and screaming at me that he was going to report me :confused:

i was shaking when i got home, so phoned the guards with his reg plate and the officer laughed at me and asked me what i wanted done. i just said i was reporting a serious case of road rage. he told me that there was nothing they could do, as it was my word against his

so, i dont see the point in phoning to complain about dangerous drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

I was travelling on the old N4 to Sligo via enfield last weekend at 11pm, it was pitch black on this road as there is no lighting on this section of road. I noticed a shape ahead of me and couldn't figure out what it was until I switched to highbeams. It was some idiot towing a trailer with NO LIGHTS and NO REFLECTORS not even a reg number, it was an accident waiting to happen. I called 999 and reported it and gave my details, the guards phoned back 5 minutes later asking for an update where the car was, I told then and within a minute an unmarked car overtook me and pulled the car over. I'm pleased to see that the guards are doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

esel wrote: »
    A lot of non-muppet drivers have hands-free or bluetooth headsets now....
    Which are just as bad IMHO. If you're on the blower, you cant be paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got reported once by a neighbour who claims I drove my motorcycle irratically at high speed past him & his son as they crossed the road - the gards told me that if I had two more reports against me within two months I'd be be prossecuted and I could not appeal the report.

The truth is that I pulled out of my driveway - a school bus had stopped on the wrong side of the road to let my neighbours son on - so the door of the bus was open into the middle of the road. My neighbour walked out in front of the bus - pushing his son in front of him to get to the door & was obviously startled when I drove past - but at a responable speed & well withing normal driving conditions.

So there is a system in place to deal with these complaints - but it is not always fair.

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    I was travelling on the old N4 to Sligo via enfield last weekend at 11pm, it was pitch black on this road as there is no lighting on this section of road. I noticed a shape ahead of me and couldn't figure out what it was until I switched to highbeams. It was some idiot towing a trailer with NO LIGHTS and NO REFLECTORS not even a reg number, it was an accident waiting to happen. I called 999 and reported it and gave my details, the guards phoned back 5 minutes later asking for an update where the car was, I told then and within a minute an unmarked car overtook me and pulled the car over. I'm pleased to see that the guards are doing their job.

WOW, that must be a first, the amount of crazy driving I see on the N4 every day. I hate the c*nts who pull straight into the offside lane at the maynooth and kilcock slip roads.

I would love to see the trucks pulled a lot more, they need to make it illegal for trucks to use outside lane on the whole N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

TheElf wrote: »
    I wonder will this type of thing go down the same route as countires like England, now that we have ANPR here now. Over there if a complaint is made about a car it goes on to that system, and the ANPR triggers when the computer reads the cars plate as it goes past, letting the Gardaí know the car was reported for what ever the complaint may be. Good little system I think.

Most UK forces have several ANPR equipped traffic cars. How many do we have? 1? 2? Like most things technical we will get it fully in about 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Most UK forces have several ANPR equipped traffic cars. How many do we have? 1? 2? Like most things technical we will get it fully in about 50 years.

We've actually got a quite a few. I've seen 3 or 4 different cars around Wexford alone with it, and a good few in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Dublin1600 wrote: »

I had the same thing, except on the M4 between Enfield and Kilcock. Rang traffic watch, they took the details and said someone would call me back. Within 5 minutes Kinnegad station rang back looking for the details for the Van and trailer, couldn't see a reg. Said he would have a run out and see if he could catch him, probably little chance as the M4 becomes the M4 / M6 soon after, In fairness I did pass the Garda car in Kinnegad heading for the M4.

Have rang a few times and did get some calls back, up to a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

We've actually got a quite a few. I've seen 3 or 4 different cars around Wexford alone with it, and a good few in Dublin.

I'd love to know how much there is around Ireland, I've seen a couple in Kilkenny here already.

Advertisement