Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil beening Stolen in Donegal - Security Help ?

• 27-02-2009 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi,

:( I have just discovered heating oil has been stolen from the tank. I had only filled it up in january. Whoever these scumbags :eek: and lowlifes :mad: are that are stealing the oil I hope they come to a bad end. Could someone please tell me how I can secure the tank to prevent theft of the oil? I live in the Inishowen area of Co. Donegal, can anyone tell me of any company that provide security cages or other security devices? Please help.

THANK YOU :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try the likes of Johnstons in Letterkenny or any good builders suppliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Same thing has happened a few people I know around Letterkenny, namely in Ashfield and Ballymacool estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah, i've heard of this happening around Letterkenny. I just thought they would stick a pipe in the tank and syphon it off, but instead they are cutting the pipe that comes out of the tank. What can be done to stop them doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

So the padlock atop is no use?

Thankfully we keep the gate to the road locked and the drive is very long and steep.

We also have dogs. And are in most of the time.
    Senna wrote: »
    Yeah, i've heard of this happening around Letterkenny. I just thought they would stick a pipe in the tank and syphon it off, but instead they are cutting the pipe that comes out of the tank. What can be done to stop them doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I read somewhere recently of somebody making steel surrounds for the tanks although I can't remember who it was. It shouldn't be too hard to get some sort of surround made.

Failing that, a bad tempered large dog would be a great deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

A friend of mine has the dog's house built in under the tank - sealed properly so he gets no fumes from it and his leash is long enough to allow him 'biting' access to any intruder bent on stealing the oil. A great deterrent, but we don't have a dog and don't really need the extra work/time involved in caring for one.
    If they're now cutting the pipe :eek: and a padlock won't be effective, will a cage work either? Anyone any ideas? Booby traps? Landmines? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Thanks for your replys. Think we will get a cage/wall/ surround build around it. We are getting gates put in the front entrance within the next month. And I think maybe sort of alarm system.

Was going to put in to the garage but dont think you can get insurance for the garage if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

a cage might not be the answer the prob with these plastic tank is they are very easy to drill with a cordless it happened to my uncle,the tank was against a wall and the open part of the tank was covered with steel mesh used in concrete founds but the f'rs still got the oil,the same night there was a caravan dweller caught with oil but it could not be proven where it came from,theres only one type of treatment for these boys and thats a cross dog and a shotgun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

I live in letterkenny Oil is being stolen all over donegal gardai say they are following the delivery truck (white van) so be careful cause as soon as the delivery is in they are taking it out again. They tend to screw off the pipe at the bottom of the tank ( where the glass cup thing is) My nanas was stolen last week and my uncle built a fench but if they really want the oil it wont stop them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

If the Gardai reckon the culprits are following the delivery truck in a white van, would it not occur to them to follow the white van and put an end to these shenanigans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lots of trades people out of work at the moment, could be a good time for some industrious person to start selling prefabricated cases/cages, shed, maybe even a brick enclosure for oil tanks.
    I'd say a lot for people would be interested and if it cost less than the price of a fill, it could be well worth it over the lifetime.

Advertisement