Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT HELP NEEDED, CAT LOVERS NEED ONLY APPLY!!!

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all
    So I'm back looking for help. As some of you may know I have lots of cats myself and also look after any passing strays etc and have over the past 3 years neutered and spayed many many feral and stray cats, ok so a few neighbours cats might have got thrown in for good measure but no-one seems to complain when I'm doing the funding!!!!
    I have also, with the help of some great Boardies homed over 20 kittens.
    So heres my problem, late last year my wonderful black boy Bod got out and was found 2 days later in the vets, he had been poisened and was in a coma.
    We agreed that the only loving thing we could do was to send him to the big scrating post in the sky and held him while he went on his last journey.
    We thought it might have been an isolated insident, but the vet informed us that he had another cat with the same syptoms there. But it could have been a big coincidence.
    Not so, there have been more cats found around the area in convulsions.
    Someone is poisening our little mates!!
    NOW...... heres where you come in.... I have 4 inside , 6 outside in an inclousure, but despretley need people to take some of the guys who cant be handled and just let them live your land and get fed!!!
    I also have about 3 cats who need homing who like to be rubbed and are very friendly, but arent at the picking up stage.
    So please please please please help.... I will travel anywhere to save these guys. Anyone who offered help before and wasnt taken up on I apologise for not getting back to you but the situation seemed to have been sorted.
    Pm me for my mobile number or pm me yours if you can help.
    DAWNRISER is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

How awful that people are poisoning the cats!:mad: I've heard that there are products sold to do exactly that, gardeners use them keep cats away from their beds.

These should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dawnriser, I'd be happy to help, but I live on an estate so I don't know how suitable that would be? I only have a small garden, but have fed strays before. I'd be delighted to help out if you don't get any better offers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe you might call in the Pet Detective to find out who's doing the poisoning? I'll happily give €30 towards his fee if you do. (Happytails is the name of his service, as far as I remember.)

Where are you, by the way, Dawnriser?

Also, is there an animal-minded garda in your local station who might help? Have you called around other vets locally to see if cats are being poisoned in a particular street, say?

Incidentally, it may be people poisoning mice and rats - it might be worth putting up notices around the area asking people to a) put poison in a long pipe if they're laying it, and b) remove all poisoned bodies so pets can't eat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Hi
    wish i could help,but i have seven cats.
    pity people cant realize that if you dont have cats
    we will have terrible vermon problems
    especilly if you live in the country.
    when i moved to the country side there was an old shed that backed on to a field of barley. we had to get rid of it as the rats had taken it over and were living under ground. since i got my cats i never see mice or rats even during
    harvest time.
    I also have a large veg garden and a flower garden.
    the cats never damage anything. So whats the problem of having cats in your garden. Maybe someone who works as a vermon exterminator,
    could let us know about the real problem we have because of rats.
    catwomen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

I would be happy to help, its so sickening, do these fools not realize cats keep all sorts of vermin out of their house and garden, I have a small garden but I live opposite a big field so they could happily roam there? If you still need people reply back Dawnriser and we can pm you with dtls.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ownknee

Hi, not a cat person but I get really angry when I hear about animals being abused.
    Heres a few ideas that might help get them new homes:
    Put up posters in your vets advertising the cats are free to a good home.

Contact your local rescue centre & ask them to put up postings on they're website advertising the cats. You will need to take pictures of the kittys & it always helps to give an idea of they're personality.

Go to a newspaper either local or national & ask them to do a piece on the cats being poisoned. It will raise awareness in your area, & hopefully lead to the idiot doing the poisoning being caught, but it will also nearly guarantee good homes for the cats. Anytime theres a litter of puppies found abandoned & it makes one of the papers there is a huge demand to give them a home.

Also when advertising maybe put in a piece that if the new owners aren't able to keep the cats or are unable to look after them properly that you will take them back. At least that way you know they'll be safe. Loads of people get animals without giving a lot of thought as to the amount of work in caring for them properly & unfortunately they seem to think if they leave them at the side of the road it will solve the problem.

Hope it helps a small bit & sorry I can't take one but I have an alergy to cats & live beside a busy road that would be way too dangerous for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

going to rescue centre is a great idea, www.irishanimals.ie is a great site for re-homing all sorts of animals, also try your local animal shelter, they are always good for giving tips and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Usually it's not cruelty, to be honest - it's desperation to be rid of mice, which people often imagine to be rats.

I suppose no one in the neighbourhood keeps homing pigeons? Pigeon fanciers seem to have a horror of cats, especially if their lofts are not high up and well protected from cat incursions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Rats are a real and increasing problem. As they become inured to poisons.

Three houses we have been in had mice and rats in and around.

Our cats cleared them all out and keep them clear.

One a cat caught and fought was huge; we had heard the rat running round the attic and it was stealing food from our older, deaf cat. The younger cat soon caught him; but what a battle.

I refused and still do to use poison because of the danger to other life.

So the fear is a real one.

In cities also.
    luckat wrote: »
    Usually it's not cruelty, to be honest - it's desperation to be rid of mice, which people often imagine to be rats.

I suppose no one in the neighbourhood keeps homing pigeons? Pigeon fanciers seem to have a horror of cats, especially if their lofts are not high up and well protected from cat incursions.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Wow, thanks so much for the offers of help, I'll pm my mobile number to those willing to help and we can take it from there.
    And we are almost 100% sure its a direct hit at the cats as we have been told directly by someone a while ago that they would put bleach in drinking water and leave it out for them. Not nice neighbour!!!!!
    We also are sure that mice and rats are not a problem in our area, the vet has also confirmed he believes its the cats that are the target.
    And he lives in the street behind me!!!!
    So again keep the help offers coming.... even 1 cat just allowed live on your land or in your garden..... bit of food left out and clean safe water... not a not to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crazy1976

Sure... send me an e mail.

Advertisement