Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landowners permission

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering why is it you need 2-3 landowners permission to shoot on their land as a prerequisite to getting a licence. Why not just one ?

Also when the terms of getting a licence are 1. member of a gun club or 2. have landowners permission does one cancel out the other ?

I was a member of a gun club but my membership lapsed recently and at the moment I can't afford the E400 subscription. Do I still need the permission of 2+ landowners or will just one do if I want to shoot on their land as my licence is still up to date ? If I have landowners permission can I set up for target practice or does it have to be for rabbit/fox etc. shooting only ?

Thanks in advance.

Heckler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering why is it you need 2-3 landowners permission to shoot on their land as a prerequisite to getting a licence. Why not just one ?

Also when the terms of getting a licence are 1. member of a gun club or 2. have landowners permission does one cancel out the other ?

I was a member of a gun club but my membership lapsed recently and at the moment I can't afford the E400 subscription. Do I still need the permission of 2+ landowners or will just one do if I want to shoot on their land as my licence is still up to date ? If I have landowners permission can I set up for target practice or does it have to be for rabbit/fox etc. shooting only ?

Thanks in advance.

Heckler

From your user name I am presuming you own a "Heckler&Koch" and shooting targets anywhere other than an approved range would be considered unlawfull I reckon but that's only my opinion.
    On your point about needing permissions or being a gun club member it depends on the local lads some will require both others don't again thats from personal experience with different areas i've lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Nope don't own any H&K, just a .22 bolt action rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

foxhunter wrote: »
    From your user name I am presuming you own a "Heckler&Koch" and shooting targets anywhere other than an approved range would be considered unlawfull I reckon but that's only my opinion.
    On your point about needing permissions or being a gun club member it depends on the local lads some will require both others don't again thats from personal experience with different areas i've lived in.

presumtion is the mother of all f uckups.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Nope don't own any H&K, just a .22 bolt action rifle.

Well I suppose it's up to the farmer then and if he has no worries you shouldn't have a problem.
    Everyone needs to check there zero from time to time so what harm could it do.

My issue is this. I was granted the licence on the fact that I was a member of a gun club. My FO actually asked me "you're not going to be out shooting rabbits now are ya ?". I am no longer a member of said gun club. If I have a valid licence do I still need 2+ landowners permission to shoot on their land ? Will just one do ? If so, can I target shoot on their land or is my shooting restricted to vermin control.

I have no desire to fox/rabbit shoot. I only want to put holes in paper. If I got permission from one person to shoot on their land it might save me E400 that I don't have at the moment.

Also if the local Superintendant inspects the gun club records and sees that I haven't been there in quite a while can he (presume he has the authority) / would he revoke my licence ?

Heckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

My issue is this. I was granted the licence on the fact that I was a member of a gun club. My FO actually asked me "you're not going to be out shooting rabbits now are ya ?". I am no longer a member of said gun club. If I have a valid licence do I still need 2+ landowners permission to shoot on their land ? Will just one do ? If so, can I target shoot on their land or is my shooting restricted to vermin control.

I have no desire to fox/rabbit shoot. I only want to put holes in paper. If I got permission from one person to shoot on their land it might save me E400 that I don't have at the moment.

Also if the local Superintendant inspects the gun club records and sees that I haven't been there in quite a while can he (presume he has the authority) / would he revoke my licence ?

Heckler

Technically you are looking to use somebody's land as a range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Also if the local Superintendant inspects the gun club records and sees that I haven't been there in quite a while can he (presume he has the authority) / would he revoke my licence ?Heckler

I would go on the conditions of the granting of the license. If you break one of those conditions then it may render you firearms licence invalid.

A bit like having a car insurance disc on you windscreen saying it expires in Feb 2010 but you have recently cancelled the insurance with the company. You would not be covered to drive your vehicle but you would appear to be covered which would still make you liable for prosecution under the Road Traffic Act.

I would check it out with your FO.

Jonty wrote: »
    Technically you are looking to use somebody's land as a range.

Exactly. So am I able to do this ?

Trojan I wouldn't equate the 2. My firearms licence is perfectly valid including the provisions for shooting under various wildlife acts as stated on the licence. Just because my local FO doesn't like the idea of me out shooting wildlife is that reason enough for me not to ? Not that I want to. I just want to be able to put holes in paper at 50 and 100yrds. Surely with a sufficient backstop and permission this would be a lot safer than fox/rabbit shooting ?

A friend of mine is a game shooter and the stories he tells me of irresponsible shooting are crazy. Gangs of lads flying around fields in 4x4's with lamps and blasting the hell outta ditches when they see the smallest hint of a possible eye reflection. No consideration of what might be behind said ditch.

Surely what I have in mind is a whole lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Exactly. So am I able to do this ?

Immediately, as far as I know, yes.

Within the next very short while, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Aside from providing you with land on which to hunt, permission letters from a number of local landowners are also a very useful indicator to the Superintendent of your standing in the locality.
    It's another layer of reassurance in the vetting process, that the applicant has the confidence and trust of other people in the area.

As IWM says above, under current legislation, what you're proposing to do appears to be perfectly legal; this is all very likely to change in the very near future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Trojan I wouldn't equate the 2.

Excuse me while I get my eyes checked, I misread your Original Post.

Rovi wrote: »
    Aside from providing you with land on which to hunt, permission letters from a number of local landowners are also a very useful indicator to the Superintendent of your standing in the locality.
    It's another layer of reassurance in the vetting process, that the applicant has the confidence and trust of other people in the area.

As IWM says above, under current legislation, what you're proposing to do appears to be perfectly legal; this is all very likely to change in the very near future.

Cheers Rovi. Never thought of it that way. Makes sense re. standing in the locality etc.

Advertisement