Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian source for Omega 3?

• 27-02-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been reading some of the threads here on nutrition and omega 3 is mentioned quite a lot as being useful as a source of fats and as an anti-inflamatory.

Fish oil seems the most common source. I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons so thats not much of an option for me. What alternatives do I have? I've looked up flaxseed oil and some stuff marketed as being good substitutes but think I've heard before that even if these oils contain omega 3 they're not as readily absorbed by the body. Would this be the same with omega enriched eggs? I'm finding it hard to find decent sources for any of this online.

Anyone else found a good veggie substitute source for Omega 3? Is it that big a deal even?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Flaxseed oil, Milled (Ground) Flaxseed too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

walnuts have higher concentrations of O3 than all other nuts

Overall, any veggie source will NEVER be as good as fish oils because you have to convert the O3 into EPA and DHA both of which fish oils contain and do not need your body to convert. If your lucky you will convert say 80% of the O3 into EPA and DHA but if you have digestive problems and certain systems are not working as well in your body compared to others you could be down at 30%

Eat plenty of flax/linseeds and walnuts and remember all starchy carbs (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc) have a pro-inflamatory response so no over doing it on those also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Ok, thanks for that Transform, that explains things nice and clearly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, walnuts and flax seeds. Lidls do 200g of delicious walnuts for 2 euro.

Moving this to diet and nutrition.....

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

There's no Omega 3 in flaxseed oil. There's alpha lipoilic acid, which does get converted in the body to some extent to EPA (at around 3-4%) and to a very low extent to DHA (1%). To get the same amount of omega 3 you can get from any fish oil, you will need very large quantities of flax seed oil or nuts.

There's no effective way of getting omega 3 from vegetable sources, like there's no way of getting proper blood plasma iron levels for females.

Please see this link

I think it's very honorable that you don't want to take any animal life, but I hope you are aware that you do so at the expense of your own health and of the environment by supporting extremely destructive crops such as soy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    There's no Omega 3 in flaxseed oil. There's alpha lipoilic acid, which does get converted in the body to some extent to EPA (at around 3-4%) and to a very low extent to DHA (1%).

imagine trying to give a simple answer / suggestions to a question, rather than descent into a chemistry debate / lecture ;)

where you get your % from by the way as they appear on the low side?

and if were going with random linking, here's another one google popped back with with different values:
    Vegetarian Soc.

imagine trying to give a simple answer / suggestions to a question, rather than descent into a chemistry debate / lecture ;)

Point taken, but unfortunately the websites I usually use for info on these subjects use this terminology. Anyone can type EPA and DHA in google and check what they mean, if they're interested.
    where you get your % from by the way as they appear on the low side?

From the link in my post, which has references to the studies that provided those values, in case you want to check them out. Unfortunately the same can not be said of the link of the vegetarian society.

and if were going with random linking, here's another one google popped back with with different values:
    Vegetarian Soc.

Quoting from the website you linked:

"(conversion rates are around 5-10% for EPA and 2-5% for DHA)"

Without references, I can not take these figures as reliable, since vegetarianism is pretty much a belief driven life philosophy, much like religion, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    There's no Omega 3 in flaxseed oil. There's alpha lipoilic acid, which does get converted in the body to some extent to EPA (at around 3-4%) and to a very low extent to DHA (1%). To get the same amount of omega 3 you can get from any fish oil, you will need very large quantities of flax seed oil or nuts.

That's alpha linoleic acid. It is an omega-3 fatty acid alright but it does need to be converted to EPA and DHA to be useful.

Alpha lipoic acid is something different, it's a shorter chain and has some sulfurs tacked on.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    That's alpha linoleic acid. It is an omega-3 fatty acid alright but it does need to be converted to EPA and DHA to be useful.

You are right, my apologies.

I typed it wrong, but that's what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Boots have a vegetarian omega 3 supplement which i use.

They also have a multivitamin which is geared towards vegetarians, it has the RDA of the B vitamins etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

are synthesized vitamins a good alternative to natural ones .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

Advertisement