Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speech in a 14mnth old

Options
  • 27-02-2009 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

hey folks my daughter is 14 months old and i was wondering wot is a good standard for speech for her age?

she can communicate with us a bit and say wassat and ayya (we think means whats that and hi ya) strings together a lot of gibberish and understands wot we are asking her for e.g. we say wheres ur doll and she will get her doll. where does your sock go and she puts said sock on her feet. (just kinda drapes the sock over her feet and thinks thats on.. so cute)

anyways wasnt sure if this is a good/ average or bad standard to have!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My daughter is 7 now, so i cant really remember!!! bad i know..
    As far as i know, all kids are different, they learn different things at difference paces.
    Like your daughter might not be able to say toe, but she knows where it is..another child at her age might be able to say toe, but not know where it is...

I wouldnt be worrying about it at this early stage, obviously if you feel she is not progressing as the next yr goes by then mention it to the dr.
    but honestly, its sounds pretty normal to me!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

i thought as much and i was always taught that a baby will focus more on the walking or the talking aspect (she takes after her mother and cant walk and talk at the same time lol :D) and emily has been walkin for a while so im not worried bout her speech. just wanted a second opinion really. we have been tryin to encourage her to say words by the old sesame street word breaking ujp system but she just isnt intrested. well we can but try!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Yeah i remember a friend of mine worrying about her son's speech.
    A girl she knew had a child at the same age and was talking more, but he wasnt too interested in walking, whereas my friends son was running around the place.
    all kids will learn different things faster, but will eventually catch up with eachother on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Penis Eye wrote: »
    hey folks my daughter is 14 months old and i was wondering wot is a good standard for speech for her age?

she can communicate with us a bit and say wassat and ayya (we think means whats that and hi ya) strings together a lot of gibberish and understands wot we are asking her for e.g. we say wheres ur doll and she will get her doll. where does your sock go and she puts said sock on her feet. (just kinda drapes the sock over her feet and thinks thats on.. so cute)

Sounds pretty normal to me - compared to my two boys. Instead of worrying, try enjoying the peace. Once they start the talking they seem to be compelled to fill any silence with the sound of their voices. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It sounds fairly average for that age if my mindees are anything to go by.

With my first son his speech was advanced for his age, he was speaking 6 - 7 word sentances by his first birthday and it's recorded by his PHN. He hasn't stopped talking since. He started walking at 10 months but he was quite late developing in other areas.

Usually by the time they are 2.5 years old it's all balanced out. As long as she understands what you're saying then she'll get there soon enough.

Also there's a tendancy that the more children you have the later the youngest will speak as it has others to do it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Einstein wasn't talking in sentences until he was 4:D

You've nothing to worry about. It sounds par for the course for your childs age.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

> With my first son his speech was advanced for his age, he was speaking 6 - 7 word sentances by his first birthday and it's recorded by his PHN.

Your son was speaking recognizable 6-7 word sentances (sic) by age 12 months.
    That is a world record by a long chalk.

As the father of a daughter that speaks 2 languages and has been described by her creche as "phenomenal at languages" she was nowhere near 6-7 word sentences at 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

petergdub wrote: »
    > With my first son his speech was advanced for his age, he was speaking 6 - 7 word sentances by his first birthday and it's recorded by his PHN.

As the father of a daughter that speaks 2 languages and has been described by her creche as "phenomenal at languages" she was nowhere near 6-7 word sentences at 12 months.
    Pah, kids speaking two languages is no big deal, once they are given the chance to learn them it is pretty easy.

I have had very different experiences with the two older of my children. My daughter spoke very early, I can't remember exactly, but certainly not long after her first birthday she was capable of speaking multiword sentences in both English & French and by the time she was 2 years old could carry a conversation in each language at the same time with two different people.

My son, on the other hand, was not quite so fast at developing. In fact we were very concerned about his speach development and took him on a number of occasions to get his hearing checked. As it turned out, there was nothing to worry about. He just took longer to get going. He did not really start talking properly until he was around 30 months. He is now four and, like his sister, is fluent in both English and French.

So in short OP, I would not get too worried just yet. Keep an eye on things and make sure you go the all the developmental checks.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

petergdub wrote: »

No it's not a world record but his speech was advanced and at his 12 month development check it was noted as it was at all his other development checks that were to follow. Being my first child I didn't know what was considered advance, average or late until he had his development checks.

cheers guys thanks for all the reassurances. if she isnt talkin by the time she is 18 ill know something is wrong:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Our daughter is 17 months now and its only in the last month or so that her speech has really lifted off. She says several words now but it still sounds like gibberish sometimes. Is your child still on the bottle as that can slow speech develpment. But to be honest i wouldnt worry. It all balances out by the time they are 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Unfortunately-titled-OP, your daughter is obviously intelligent if she's able to show where the sock goes.

Speech varies a lot in kids - some learn early, some learn late; if you're worried about her development, talk to the public health nurse and ask for an assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

My son is 14 months and sounds much the same as your daughter development wise. I am perfectly happy with how he is developing.

galwaydude wrote: »
    Our daughter is 17 months now and its only in the last month or so that her speech has really lifted off. She says several words now but it still sounds like gibberish sometimes. Is your child still on the bottle as that can slow speech develpment. But to be honest i wouldnt worry. It all balances out by the time they are 2.

yeah sorta on the bottle. one 7 ounce full fat milk in the mornin then proper meals (same as what we eat mostly) and another glass of warmed milk for her bed time feed. i remember reading that toddlers chewing food helps to develop their speech.

well thanks alot guys u have helped me and the missuseseseses (not sure where to stop with the esesses i no i went to many(maybe my speech needs to develop more)) be a little more relaxed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Our wee 'un is just over 14 months. She's giving it plenty of 'jibber jabba' and a bit of 'dadadada' and 'mamamama'. You'll know all about it when she's ready.

By all reports my wife was well over 2 before she started talking, hasn't stopped since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Every child is different. That sounds normal to me. My friend's baby at the same age was saying 'wassat' and 'hyaa' too and 'all gone', he could understand everything you said to him too. Haven't seen him in a few weeks. He's so sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Our 2 are 16 months (14 corrected) and don't say much really. A lot of dada, mama and nana. They recoignise animals though and point them out to us in books when we say the name and they make an appropriate noise for the animal. If we ask them to get something like a red ball for example sometimes they will look around and if they see it they will go get it (if they can't see it they look at us like we are crazy people talking rubbish). It depends though. Sometimes they will completely ignore us if they are busy flicking through a book or something more interesting than us.
    The fact they are not speaking yet does not bother me at all as they have shown us that they are indeed learning and do understand us (when it suits them...they get that from their mother).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my wee niece is 14months old today, actually, and doesnt have a *lot* of speech. can name mam, dad, grandma, her uncle and the cat.... she can very clearly say 'duck' (and is very, very proud of that :D), and can be quite talkative, babbling away. when she wants to know what something is, she usually points and says 'iz'.

like your wee one, OP, she can understand what's being said to her, wehre her sock goes, where hats go, where the butterflies and various animals are in her books.

ive worked in preschools for the last year, and have worked with a lot of under twos, and from what i can make out, that's very normal speech development for the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

our eldest who is 3 and a half, has had to cope with 2 languages also and although he has a tremendous amount of vocabulary in both languages, he still struggles with grammar and has a hard time making sentences, so he is a good bit behind in that sense. On the other hand, he is already doing 100+ piece puzzles aimed at 6 to 10 year olds in half an hour, can unlock the password protected PC and find his games on the internet or in the files and folders. i personnally think it all balances out in time and they each go at their own pace and direction at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

Penis Eye wrote: »

my daughter is 14 months aswell and she isnt really talking that much apart from ma ma, da da, ba ba and that. and she says ayya too and think it is hiya. and then her own talk. so hearing that your girl and my girl are saying the same stuff. it is probably normal at their age but then again all kids are different.

i do know what you are saying because my girl would try to talk to me while i'm cooking dinner and i don't know she is saying. and she stands there saying the same thing again if i say what. so what i do is follow her and it is mostly showing me something or the odd time she wants me to put on her barney dvd. and sometimes i say yeah to her and she will come right upto me saying a few more things and then go smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

I remember going for a health checkup with my son...can't remember if it was 12months or 18 but the health nurse said to me at that stage boys would have about 10words and girls something around 20. Girls talk quicker than boys but my son was around the 2 mark before the chat started and he was around 3 before i could have little conversations with him! don't worry as previously said....Enjoy the silence! :D

Advertisement