Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you pull?!?

• 27-02-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest I'm wondering what sort of loads/weights people pull behind their 4x4's?

Normally my tow bar would get very little use. Most I've used it for is little over 3 ton of sand on a 12*8 tri-axle, behind a 2.5litre L200. Had no problems at all with this once I kept the speed low.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Farls wrote: »
    Just out of interest I'm wondering what sort of loads/weights people pull behind their 4x4's?

Normally my tow bar would get very little use. Most I've used it for is little over 3 ton of sand on a 12*8 tri-axle, behind a 2.5litre L200. Had no problems at all with this once I kept the speed low.

The heaviest I've done is 1.5 tonne mini digger and 1 tonne of sand in one load with my l200 .
    I found the same with the speed thing keep it low and no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I pull an Ifor Williams 12x6 cattle trailer behind my 2.5 L200. It has no problem with up to 3 ton. It actually pulls better with a small bit of weight in the trailer rather than pulling empty. I'd be pulling a few times per week with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than stuck Hiace vans up my steep driveway, nothing really :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

For me and my brother, our jeeps would be useless without a tow bar, they get used so often. Normall I'd be just towing an 8x4 builders trailer, but would often have heavy loads, like mini diggeres vintage tractors and cars, along with other stuff... concrete pipes for instance :rolleyes:

Pajeroandfordson.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

HiluxKevins2.jpg

keeping the speed down and taking your time is whats its all about. I think you need to be aware of what your doing though, as 2 and a half tons could get out of contol easier than you think :eek: I see alot of people on the road towing, horse boxes especially, that do not seem to be concious that they are towing anything and just drive as normal, but thats another story ;)

I keep the weight on the legal side of things, but with a couple of tons behind me, a 2.5 LWB pajero seems a little under powered :mad:

Think I started a thread like this before whn the 4x4 forum opened, some interesting stories came to light so there must be more.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055285555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Aha! Didn't see that thread before, fantastic to see what is possible though! Must remember to take pics of any big loads I have. I have the ralliart chip in my L200, adds another 30 or so horsies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Jap Vehicles that got stuck in the recent snow we had.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Boat trailers and occasionally a digger behind a Nisan Terrano.

Slig wrote: »
    Boat trailers and occasionally a digger behind a Nisan Terrano.

What size digger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

For me and my brother, our jeeps would be useless without a tow bar, they get used so often. Normall I'd be just towing an 8x4 builders trailer, but would often have heavy loads, like mini diggeres vintage tractors and cars, along with other stuff... concrete pipes for instance :rolleyes:

Pajeroandfordson.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

HiluxKevins2.jpg

keeping the speed down and taking your time is whats its all about. I think you need to be aware of what your doing though, as 2 and a half tons could get out of contol easier than you think :eek: I see alot of people on the road towing, horse boxes especially, that do not seem to be concious that they are towing anything and just drive as normal, but thats another story ;)

I keep the weight on the legal side of things, but with a couple of tons behind me, a 2.5 LWB pajero seems a little under powered :mad:

Think I started a thread like this before whn the 4x4 forum opened, some interesting stories came to light so there must be more.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055285555

Whats the tractor with the orange beacon you have there?

Most I pulled was 3 tonne mini-digger with 3litre-turbo landcruiser

Whats the tractor with the orange beacon you have there?

Thats my 1963 MF 35x, bought that when I was 13 years old. Handyist machine I've ever owned, even to this day it outperforms heavier more powerful machines, in the bog during the summer, not bad going for something built 46 years ago. Its got a MF 240 cab for added comfort!!!

Tractors are one of my many passions :D

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/MrFoxman360/MF352-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My plum.

Thats my 1963 MF 35x, bought that when I was 13 years old. Handyist machine I've ever owned, even to this day it outperforms heavier more powerful machines, in the bog during the summer, not bad going for something built 46 years ago. Its got a MF 240 cab for added comfort!!!

Tractors are one of my many passions :D

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/MrFoxman360/MF352-1.jpg

Thats not the 35 in the first picture though is it? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Does anyone know a way of calculating how much you can pull? Like x litre or horsepower can pull x ton? I read the story below about the big sized tractor on the M50 pulling a 50 ton digger. TBH I would've thought that would be fine!!!! You see it all the time!!! (Thats another post robbed from another thread)

Not strictly the sort of 4x4 this forum is for, but it does involve a four wheel drive vehicle and it fits this thread perfectly, so here goes-

A 'source' of mine (who is very well connected and who I trust to tell the truth) in the farm machinery trade told me the following:
    A contractor working on the M-50 upgrade purchased a large and sophisticated agricultural tractor (think '6 figure sum') for use on the project, but he got endless trouble with the transmission.
    The tractor was constantly back at the main dealer getting stuff fixed under warranty: clutch packs, ECUs, pumps, seals, etc.
    The manufacturer saw this particular tractor appearing on the warranty list a lot more than would be considered normal, so they send a spectacularly qualified technician with a heap of test and diagnostic equipment over to have a look at it.
    The technician presented himself at the owner's yard early one morning and told the young lad who let him in who he was and that he wanted to see the faulty tractor.
    "That's it over there" said the young lad, pointing at the tractor, which was hitched up to an enormous low-loader trailer with a 40 tonne digger on it, total load on the high side of 50 tonnes.
    "Is that what it usually tows?" asked the technician.
    "Yes" said the young lad, "it does nothing else."
    "Thank you very much" said the technician, as he took out a camera, took a load of photographs of the outfit, and left.

All further warranty claims on the tractor were denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Thats not the 35 in the first picture though is it? :confused:
    That's a pre 1940 Fordson Model N, I'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

My plum.

LoL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Killarney005.jpg
    Killarney003.jpg

Heres mine

Rovi wrote: »
    That's a pre 1940 Fordson Model N, I'm pretty sure.

Yea, it sure is, its a heavy little machine for its size. Nuffield 10/60 is the biggest of the tractors I'd put behind my pajero, normally drive the others anywhere, although a friend did have a MF 185 on that tri-axel before :rolleyes:

Big weights there, I'd say a lot of ye know the smell of a clutch only too well!!

On a smaller note I pulled a Fiat Bravo out of a ditch yesterday :pac: was going to take a pic of two but the driver was in bad humour to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Big weights there...
    Agreed!

No-one seems to be too bothered over here, but we wouldn't get away with a lot of this sort of thing over in the U.K.

We got pulled over by representatives of Her Majesty's Vehicle Inspectorate in North Wales a couple of years ago, while towing the off-roaders home from an event.
    They asked awkward questions about Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and Gross Train Weight (GTW), about which we were more than somewhat ignorant.
    Off we went to a weigh-station for an hour or so while they had a good look at the towing vehicles and trailers and weighed each axle individually and each outfit complete.

By complete and utter dumb luck, we were under all the maximum weights and we were sent on our way with a cheery wave and a recommendation to change one particular tyre at our soonest convenience.

All very pleasant and polite and professional of course, but these people were very serious about overloading, licences, and all the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I saw a clown with a mini teleporter on a tri-axle trailer behind a passenger 05 Landcruiser.

Although a small teleporter, lunacy to the point of being reckless.

Something along the lines of this

media?id=6262661&large=true

• Advertisement

Big weights there, I'd say a lot of ye know the smell of a clutch only too well!!

If you know what your doing you shouldn't really be letting the clutch slip at all, thats provided you have a good clutch in the first place :D Most jeeps have a low enough first gear to take off in and once your moving there should be no problem, just keep her moving and try to avoid stopping on any hills, which I suppose is easier said than done.

If it is slipping so much that you can smell it :eek: .... then you should take another look at what you are trying to pull or how you trying to pull it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lads, pulling a heavy load isn't the issue really ...keeping it under control and braking is where it gets critical.

Some of the combinations I see out there are absolutely hair raising in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Boat trailers mainly. I only have a "B" category licence so am limited to towing relatively light loads such as boats.

IMO the situation with drivers exceeding towing weights and towing without having the correct licence is a big can of worms.....

BrianD3 wrote: »
    IMO the situation with drivers exceeding towing weights and towing without having the correct licence is a big can of worms.....

Indeed. And so is the whole suitability issue of the trailer itself.
    Two prize bulls in a home made trailer on an old car axle, no brakes, no lights, no mudguards, no number plate, wonky wheels half of them semi-flat ...don't get me started.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Boat trailers mainly. I only have a "B" category licence so am limited to towing relatively light loads such as boats.

I agree completely with this, I was hoping that the thread wouldn't get involved in the legal side of things and what is right/wrong, but just let people put forward what they have towed/pulled with their 4x4 or what they have seen. The pictures are fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

We had an RSA roadside inspector in the garage today, he was saying that they pulled a pajero and tandem axle ifor williams trailer with a small tractor loaded this morning, they brought it to a weigh bridge on two recovery trucks weighed it, it was found to be over the GCW of the vehicle and impounded on the spot, the driver is being charged with overloading, invalid insurance, incorrect license and possibly dangerous driving(as well as the cost of two recovery wagons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

We had an RSA roadside inspector in the garage today, he was saying that they pulled a pajero and tandem axle ifor williams trailer with a small tractor loaded this morning, they brought it to a weigh bridge on two recovery trucks weighed it, it was found to be over the GCW of the vehicle and impounded on the spot, the driver is being charged with overloading, invalid insurance, incorrect license and possibly dangerous driving(as well as the cost of two recovery wagons.
    Its only right.

As bad as the (non)testing of artic trailers is, at least they have a set of standards to conform to, despite the vast majority of them being un-tested.

Its not too long ago that a jeep lost its trailer in Sligo and it ended up going through the railing of the new bridge. Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

fastrac wrote: »
    Killarney005.jpg
    Killarney003.jpg

Heres mine
    Much cleaner than my 133, but where is the roll bar?
    Then again, my 133 is usually the one doing the pulling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

What size digger?

3 tonne, I know, I know. It was wrong

Advertisement