Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Role of Engineer

• 27-02-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello

I have what I imagine is a pretty basic question. I am going to start building soon and my partner and I are trying to do as much as possible ourselves.

Just wondering is it a regulation to employ an engineer to sign off certain aspects of the build?

If so at what stage should we contact one?
    We are due to begin building in April/May all going to schedule..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

IMO retain your Certifier now (an Architectural Technician, Engineer or Architect).

They will need to see the open foundation prior to the pouring of any concrete. They will need to see the floor construction prior to pouring concrete slab and all construction prior to completion.

You are not required by law as such, but a condition on your planning permission might require a Certificate of Compliance. Your bank / building society won't issue mortgage payments without stage payments signed by your Certifier.

I would be very suspicious of any property built without Certificates in this day and age:eek:

Most people have good camera on their mobile phones etc so don't be afraid to take lots and lots of photos of all stages of construction. A picture says a thousand words. They can be very useful and nice to look back on ie BER Assessor may want proof of wall insulation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

RKQ wrote: »
    IMO retain your Certifier now (an Architectural Technician, Engineer or Architect).

They will need to see the open foundation prior to the pouring of any concrete. They will need to see the floor construction prior to pouring concrete slab and all construction prior to completion.

You are not required by law as such, but a condition on your planning permission might require a Certificate of Compliance. Your bank / building society won't issue mortgage payments without stage payments signed by your Certifier.

I would be very suspicious of any property built without Certificates in this day and age:eek:

Most people have good camera on their mobile phones etc so don't be afraid to take lots and lots of photos of all stages of construction. A picture says a thousand words. They can be very useful and nice to look back on ie BER Assessor may want proof of wall insulation etc.
    I have to agree with you RKQ. OP as mentioned to you in a previous post, trying to save costs by not engaging with a supervising professional is short-sighted. Who administers the contract? Who makes the decision on whether the construction is complying with the Building Regulations? Who makes quality decisions in a conflict position? Compliance compliance compliance. You will not get a professional to sign off a project that they have not supervised. If they do, they are not a professional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

How do intend to comply with the revised building regulations that WILL affect your building

- you will HAVE TO use some renewable energy sources
    - you will have to demonstrate by calculation that you are not consuming too much energy or emmiting too much CO2

you need a construction professional and BER Assessor - better if they are the same person

sinnerboy wrote: »
    How do intend to comply with the revised building regulations that WILL affect your building

- you will HAVE TO use some renewable energy sources
    - you will have to demonstrate by calculation that you are not consuming too much energy or emmiting too much CO2

you need a construction professional and BER Assessor - better if they are the same person

Do you know anyone that can supply that service sinnerboy????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I suggest you start by seeking a BER assessor in your area from the SEI website

http://193.178.2.42/SearchAssessors.aspx

Then phone a few until you find an assessor who is also a construction professional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Do you know anyone that can supply that service sinnerboy????????
    Lots of people can pseudo tech, lots of construction professionals have trained and registered as ber assessors along with a few hairdressers, farmers, publicians and taxi drivers to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

Hi,

All banks & building Societies will require the employment of a supervising Engineer or Architect if the property is NOT being built and covered by a Homebond registered contractors. They will required to be covered by Professional Indenmity Insurance.

Further to the above there will be a requirement to issue a Certificate of Compliance (with planning & Building regulations) at the end of the build.
    Most lending institutions will require this for the release of a final stage payment.

Many Engineers & Architects can provide Building Energy Rating Services and include this in thier services. They will give advide on choice of construction method, choice of insulation and heating systems. Money well spent

No6 wrote: »
    Lots of people can pseudo tech, lots of construction professionals have trained and registered as ber assessors along with a few hairdressers, farmers, publicians and taxi drivers to name a few.
    Unfortunately, that is true No.6. However, it raises another question of minimum standards for accessing these courses. Surely, a background and experience in the Construction industry is a prerequisite for entering such a course.

Back to the OP. Ensure the BER assessor that you are employing has a construction based qualification (Architectural Technician, Engineer, Quantity Surveyor, Construction Project Manager and possibly even an Architect), or you may end up with the hairdresser.

Advertisement