Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from a camera shop - advice

• 27-02-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Is it the done thing to negotiate a discount on large purchases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Well I know one thing for certain, if you don't ask, they sure aren't going to volunteer!:)

I suppose it depends on what you're buying (and where), but I'd push for a discount (a small one at least), or failing that a memory card or something thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No harm giving it a go anyway, I always do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When I was starting off I approached one shop in the City Centre and told them I had around 15-20k to spend and what sort of discounts would be applicable on this list of gear, I was told to come back when I was ready to buy and they would think about it??? I bought in HK instead, I have no time for a lot of the shops in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

spav wrote: »
    Is it the done thing to negotiate a discount on large purchases?

Absolutely.......... Go to a couple of shops & see what one can offer you the biggest discount (and tell them as well). That's what I do when spending a few bob for anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Borderfox wrote: »
    When I was starting off I approached one shop in the City Centre and told them I had around 15-20k to spend and what sort of discounts would be applicable on this list of gear, I was told to come back when I was ready to buy and they would think about it??? I bought in HK instead, I have no time for a lot of the shops in town

:eek:

I guess mine isn't anything like a large purchase in that case!

Thanks for the advice all, I'll chance my arm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Remember that it makes better business sense for a retailer to throw in extras rather than discount the main item. The shop loses their cost price for extra items but your gain is at the selling price.

If I were looking at a Body & Kit Lens from one of the shops in town I would ask if they might throw in a memory card & UV/CPL Filters. They often give a small gear bag as well.

You can always ask, they have the option of accepting & then you have the choice of where to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Yeh definitely ask. I would ask on a relatively small purchase. I have got deals on single purchases by going into a shop and telling them what the other camera shop can offer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Always ask for the boss, if the boss is not in the shop ask them to ring the boss. Counter staff have minimal if any flexibility on discounts/extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Borderfox wrote: »

I know you would like to have had an idea as to the discount you may have received, but there are lots of reasons why this is not possible until all the equipment is specified, priced and payment terms (Cash / Credit Card) etc. agreed. Retailers have hugely different margins on different products. Some professional hardware like Laptops, pro bodies may only have a margin of 7-10%, while other smaller equipment may have anything from 25 -33+% margin which would allow much better discounts. Also, at present prices (Nikon and Canon in particular) are all over the place so it is almost impossible for a retailer to quote more than a week in advance.

Regarding the original question about haggling- There's no harm in asking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, I witnessed a lady haggling for free memory card when buying one of the cheapest kit lens. I was only smiling and not laughing though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ya have to haggle. I only buy in Dublin if or when I am stuck. Recently had to buy a lens, €299 No discount on lens but got a 4 gig card for €20 and Sigma 67mm u.v filter for the lens for €5.Because I asked
    I think there is more to all this than profit margins, Greed.
    Whoever Borderfox went into needs a good kick in the A**e. Spending that sort of money there should have been a guarentee of a reduction. There is room on just about every purchase for an offer of some sort of deal wheather its a reduction or something off an extra purchase, imo. I think €5 or €10 is as good in my pocket as in a greedy retailers.:)
    As a man I work with says "if they threw out an eel they might land a spratt":p

Advertisement