Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoutman vs. Mitch Connor

• 27-02-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

shoutman wrote: »
    Shout FC Manager: Shoutman

Lehmann
    --Lauren----McGrath----Short----Le Saux--
    Roy
    gerard(c)
    Barnes
    Young
    Tevez

drogba

Captain: Steven Gerard
    Free Kick: Young, Gerard, Barnes
    Corner: Roy, Young

Team strategy
    Pace to burn down the wings, two of the best passers in the premiership in midfield, a superb forward who is as good in the air as he is with the ball at his feet. A defensive back four that will be hard to match and one of the best goalkeepers in premiership history minded the goal.
    I believe the beauty of my team is that I can break down the opposition in so many different ways. My side is an aggressively attacking side, but my back four counteract this as a solid defensive unit. My team can play shortpassing, through balls, long balls, play it down the wing all as good as any team. The midfield are passing maestro's. I have two of the fastest wingers in premiership history and a solid target man. A combination of talent, skill and work ethic.
    I believe on their day, my team are absolute world beaters.

By Round

Round 1
    Steven Gerrard (c)
    sport-graphics-2007_704731a.jpg
    Steven Gerard is captain fantastic and he will be my captain fantastic, leading Shout FC from the heart of midfield. A box to box midfielder and one of the very best in the world.
    Round 2
    Paul "God" McGrath
    00002b8c0c8r.jpg
    Possibly the best player Ireland has ever produced. He will forever be known as "God" to all Aston Villa fans. When he played he made it look effortless. One of the best ever central defenders. I am delighted for him to be my rock at the back.
    Round 3
    Didier Drogba
    didier-drogba.jpg
    One of Soocer's finest athletes. Great in the air and with a fantastic goal scoring touch. Ge could of been a round one pick, as he is one of the best strikers to have played in the premiership.
    Round 4
    Ashley Young
    Ashley-Young_1122570.jpg
    One of the fastest players in the premiership, Young has pace to burn, great technical abilities, trickery to beat players, fantastic from the set piece and can score the more then occasional goal. On fire again this season, having won the player of the month twice already! Also Young can play on the left, right, up front or behind the front man, free role heaven.
    Round 5
    John Barnes
    _39881127_barnes270g.jpg
    It can be argued that Barnes was well past his best when he played in the premiership, that said he still played well over fifty games for a top four club at premiership level. His knowledge of the game along with his fantastic ability and the odd scorcher or too warrants him a place in midfield partnering Gerard.
    Round 6
    Graham Le Saux
    LeSaux.jpg
    Le Saux was one of the best defensive left backs in premiership history, good levels of aggression, great ethic and a fantastic footballer, no right wing in the premiership will have an easy time of it.
    Round 7
    Carlos Tevez
    Carlos_Tevez_Manchester_United_Premier_League_801193.jpg
    The Argentian terrier is one of the hardest workers in the premiership, he will most likely play off Drogba, moping up any loose play from the back foor and often dropping back into midfield to help out with shoring it up. A fantastic talent who scores important goals.
    Round 8
    Lauren
    lauren.jpg
    Taking his place at right back, Lauren is another defensive minded right back who does his job aggressively and in a technically good style. Himself and Le Saux might have opposition managers thinking that playing it down the wings is not the optimum play.
    Round 9
    Bryan Roy
    ss167.jpg
    Another speedster on the right wing. Roy was possibly the first premiership foreign star becoming a household name at Notts forrest. Like Young, Roy had serious gas, he could beat people and had a superb cross, Drogba would have loved to be playing with this dutch wonder.
    Round 10
    Jens Lehmann
    images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5CJens-Lehmann.jpg
    One of the best premiership keepers, FACT! My best value pick by a mile imo.
    Round 11
    Craig Short
    B684986F-947D-F4F6-5B1E478B72AB8650.jpg
    Fantastic defender, underrated both during his career and now. Himself and McGrath's playing style suit each other down to the ground, both are great in the air and aggressive in the tackle, but technically great at the same time.

summary
    I am happy with my team. If I did it all again I would make but two changes to my side. Barnes would be dropped with Gaz Baz taking his place and on the right I would have logged in earlier in the day and taked Pederson (that I think Roy and Pederson offer different things and am not entirely sure which man would have worked better with my side).
    It was good fun and once again I'd like to thank Lloyd for organising this and his tireless work.

See you all in the cup.

vs.
    Pick 01 - Ruud Van Nisteelroy
    Pick 02 - Frank Lampard
    Pick 03 - Andrie Kanchelskis
    Pick 04 - Kolo Toure
    Pick 05 - Xabi Alonso
    Pick 06 - Mikel Arteta
    Pick 07 - Sylvan Distin
    Pick 08 - Obafemi Martins
    Pick 09 - Joleen Lescott
    Pick 10 - Pascal Chimbonda
    Pick 11 - Tim Howard

Team Name - Drenai FC.
    Captain - Lampard
    Free Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Corner Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Penalties - Lampard.

Tim Howard.

Voted Premiership 'Keeper of the Year in his first season with United. In his time at Everton, he has established himself as the first choice keeper in a team that has performed very well over his time with them, and I think he has been a big reason for that. Got him as my last pick, so I was delighted to have a keeper of his class available at that stage.

Pascal Chimbonda.

Another player who has been very impressive when he has played in the premiership, and another player to be voted as the best in his position - voted premiership right back of the season in his debut season with Wigan. Fast and strong, good going forward with the ball. A solid and top right back.

Joleen Lescott.

An absolute star for Everton over the last few seasons. Strong defensively, solid going forward and a very dependable goal scoring threat from set pieces. As far as left backs go, I'll admit he is not world class, but he is a damned fine choice, and a damned fine player. I don't think there will be any wingers that will have the ability to dominate him, and he will force them back up the pitch themselves.

Kolo Toure

The first of my centre backs. Strong, fast, good on the ball and not afraid to move forward with it. A solid central defender, who has been rated as among the best in the world during his career at Arsenal. With him at the back, along with his defensive partner, no one is going to be beating my team pace, and we'll go toe to toe with them for power too.

Sylvan Distin

Another big, fast, strong centre back. A massive player for Newcastle, City and Portsmouth in his time win the premiership. Recently named vice-captain at Pompey, so has definate leadership qualities which i think is important.

Xabi Alonso

Probably the most defensive of my midfielders, which isn't too great i'll admit. However, he is a top player, and on his day one of the very best central midfielders in world football. A great passer, with great vision, and quality with set pieces. Great positional play as well and not afraid to tackle either. Was delighted to get him into central midfield.

Mikel Arteta

Again, another great midfielder, a great passer and creative force and a great goal threat, from open play and set pieces. A massive reason for the recent success of Everton (along with Howard and Lescott). Can play centrally and left sided, so offers me a bit of variety in my midfield deployment, which was a reason for going for him. Has won the Everton Players Player, and Fan player of the year awards, so his quality should be undoubted.

Frank Lampard

Frank gets me goals - there can be no argument about that. 80 goals and counting for Chelsea, and there are his assists too. Leadership qualities also, so i think he is a very good pick.

Andrie Kanchelskis.

A bit of a 'heart' pick - one of my favourite ever players. Lightening quick and and a goal threat - 50 premiership goals, and Uniteds leading goal scorer in the 94/95 season. Goals, assists and frightening pace for swift and deadly counter attacks.

Obafemi Martins.

Another player bringing undoubtable power and pace to my side. A quality striking partner for my main striker; with a 1 in 3 strike rate for Newcastle. Gives me the option of putting the ball over the top for him to chase, as i don't think there is a defender who will beat him to the ball, and another player adding to my counter attacking ability with Kanchelskis.

Ruud van Nistlerooy.

My first pick, and one i was delighted with. A premeership goal scoring king - hammering in 23 premiership goals in his debut season, his first full season after injury. Followed this up with 25 prem goals the next season, 20 the following season, then 6 (in a season ruined by injury) and 21 in his final season. 95 prem goals in 5 seasons (with one ruined by injury), and another 14 FA Cup goals in 14 appearances. A player i think would thrive on the service he would get from my midfield.

Formation.

With the players I have, i think i can succesfully go 442, 433 attacking of 451 defensive. Attack being the best form of defence; my team will be one of the best on possession of ball, some great passers in midfield and a defence not afraid to actually lose the ball. In Ruud, I have a striker my team can play to and off in any of those formations. Martins can drop out wide to the left offering a pacey outlet down the left to mirror Kanchelskis on the right, giving my team possibly the best counter attack in the game, and the ability to streatch the opposition down both flanks and get in behind. Chimbonda and Lescott down each side offer more width on each side.

Shoutman vs. Mitch Connor 13 votes

Shoutman
    0%
    Mitch Connor
    100%
    PiEDont be at yourselfBounty HuntersmackbunnybabyeirebhoyPacificowardieshoutmanMementoMorimenoscemoRichTeaeagle eyeredout 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Why is there a picture of Phil Jagielka beside Craig Short's name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Only those two involved in the match can comment on this thread. If you want to make a comment please go to the general discussion thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Mitch Connor
    Draupnir wrote: »
    Why is there a picture of Phil Jagielka beside Craig Short's name?

Winner Winner chicken dinner. I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to spot that. They do look similar enough but surely the jersey would be a give away as Short played for Everton until '99

4282.jpg

It also leads me to the conclusion that a lot of people probably don't know Craig Short at all which is quite disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Mitch Connor
    I think Mitch Connor has one of the best teams in the draft. All round team with no real weakness.

Defensively I think we can man up, thankfully Martins pace does not reflect his finishing ability, no doubt he would get his chances but will probably duff them up in a most laughable manner.

In midfield I think Mitch has an edge in that he has an attacking and a defensive minded player, as opposed to my very attacking midfield, that said Tevez can drop into midfield in attempt to crowd them out, my team is made up perfectly as a counter attacking side, speed to burn on both sides and up front as well as a quality finished and all round good passing abilities.

I think the main weakness in Mitch's team is that both of his full backs are better going forward then they are defensively, Chimbonda has pace but still not enough to counteract the trickery and pace of Ashley Young. Roy vs Lescott would also see a clear advantage in the pace stakes, and any attempt to double up on either of my wingers would just lend to more space inside for Gerard to produce magic.

Undoubtedly it would be a tight match should it be played, that said through sheer ability, attacking and defensive power I think Shout FC would emerge victorious in an epic 10-9 match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shoutman wrote: »
    I think Mitch Connor has one of the best teams in the draft. All round team with no real weakness.

Defensively I think we can man up, thankfully Martins pace does not reflect his finishing ability, no doubt he would get his chances but will probably duff them up in a most laughable manner.

In midfield I think Mitch has an edge in that he has an attacking and a defensive minded player, as opposed to my very attacking midfield, that said Tevez can drop into midfield in attempt to crowd them out, my team is made up perfectly as a counter attacking side, speed to burn on both sides and up front as well as a quality finished and all round good passing abilities.

I think the main weakness in Mitch's team is that both of his full backs are better going forward then they are defensively, Chimbonda has pace but still not enough to counteract the trickery and pace of Ashley Young. Roy vs Lescott would also see a clear advantage in the pace stakes, and any attempt to double up on either of my wingers would just lend to more space inside for Gerard to produce magic.

Undoubtedly it would be a tight match should it be played, that said through sheer ability, attacking and defensive power I think Shout FC would emerge victorious in an epic 10-9 match.

First off, the match is not a vote of which team would win a one off match - but which team would perform better over a season, but i'll reply to the points raised by Shoutman.

My first response is to broadly agree with Shoutman in that our teams are very even, in style and composition.

I think my midfield has an edge over his, as i have a slightly more defensive look to mine, and while Gerrard is a fatastic player I think Barnes' days were well gone by the time the premiership came round and his lack of mobility would probably be found out in a game between the two sides and over the course of a season.

With regards to the comments on the full backs, i think mine more than match up. Lauren is just as attacking as Chimbonda, he was a converted midfielder for a start, and I would rate Chimbonda as better defensively, so i think i have the better over him in that position. At left back, Le Saux was a very creative LB, but again i think he is quite offensive for a LB, would be one of the first players I would have recognised as a wing back, and he was known to play that position. Lescott is a great player defensively, easily Le Saux's equal if not better in that regard and while Lescott might not be as creative or as good a crosser as Le Saux, Lescott is a much bigger goal threat.

In terms of goals from midfield, where Shoutman has Gerrard, I have Lampard - so i don't think there is really a playing advantage there - again we match up well there. With Lampard, Arteta and Alonso I have three of the best midfielders currently playing in the premiership, and I would rate all 3 as being better than Barnes in central midfield, based on his time in the premiership (over his career i'd give Barnes a bigger nod, but this is premiership focused) and Shoutman has acknowledged that Barnes may not have been the best pick.

Comparing right sided wingers, I would take Kanchelskis over Roy every day of the week. Roy had a great first season with Forest in the premiership but the following two seasons weren't anything to write home about, especially his final season.

Up front, the forwards are somewhat comparable again, but I would take the partnership of Ruud and Martins over Tevez and Drogba. Goals wise, Drogba has really only had one great season in England, his first two saw him score 10 goals, and 12 goals in the premiership. His third season was great but i think he was off form last season and hasn't recaptured his form this season either (partially due to injury) Ruud is a much better pick and would be a much better source of goals imo. I'd take Tevez over Martins in a straight deal, but then Martins offers more pace and the option to play him out wide. While Tevez has done the same for United on occasion he is not very effective at it (rooney is much better and is generally deployed in that position) and I don't think he has actually been dropped into midfield for protection either. In terms of getting goals, I think Martins and Tevez would probably get a similar amount.

So, while i think the teams are close, i think mine edges it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement