Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eagle Eye vs. Trippie

• 27-02-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

eagle eye wrote: »
    My team name: The Eagle Rovers

1. Neville Southall
    One of the best the Premiership has seen. A legend of the game and one of the greatest keepers ever. He made incredible stops time and time again. He was magnificent in Evertons last FA Cup win in 1995 against Manchester United for which he received the Man of the Match award. He was the first player to make 200 Premier League appearances. He is one of the few goalkeepers to have won a football of the year award but that was before the Premier League began. The MBE award in 1997 was a fitting tribute to his legendardy career.

2. Roland Nilsson

Roland was the best full back bar Denis Irwin that I have seen play in the Premier League. There are some good full backs currently in the league who might over time be considered as good or maybe even better than those two, but at this moment I have yet to see a better right back play the game in England. Roland played his best years with Sheffield Wednesday, he is in their hall of fame and is a legend among supporters of Wednesday. He came back to the Premier League at 34 years of age and showed he was still a top full back when he played with Coventry City until he retired in 1999. I am certain that I have the best right back in this draft. With 116 caps for his coutry he has shown just how consistently good he was thoughout his career.

5, Marin Laursen

Martin Laursen is well known to all and without doubt for me is currently the best Centreback playing outside of the big four in the Premier League, some would argue that he is the best including them, but I rate his partner in my team as that. Laursen has been top class for a long time now, and has overcome injury to come back and regain his place as one of the best in the world in his position. He is known for his fearlessness and his magnificent ability to head the ball. He is so dangerous from corner kicks in the opposing box also, a talent that Martin O'Neill has used to full affect over the last two seasons. Lionheart was both the Aston Villa supporters player of the year last season and also received the Denmark player of the year award. He has been promoted by Martin O'Neill to Club Captain of Aston Villa. His goal scorng record is incredible over the past season and a half for a Centre Back. I'm not sure of exact numbers right now, but he has definitely over ten for Villa in the last year or so. Laursen will be my leader at the back.

6. Nemanja Vidic

Nemanja Vidic joined Manchester United in January 2006. United went on an incredible run shortly after he joined them and at one stage reduced the gap between them and Chelsea from 18 points down to only 7 points. He has been magnificent for them ever since. United have won two League titles and the Champions League in the two full seasons he has been with the club, he has been in the Premier League team of year on both occasions and received his second Serbian football of the year award in 2008. He has been shortlisted for all the major awards as a defender in both those seasons also. Along with Martin Laursen he is one of the best headers of a ball in the League and is a real danger to the opposition from Corner Kicks. His aggressive style of defence is a joy to watch, and I don't think I have ever seen anybody else who can play that way and be successful at it.

3. Alan Wright

Alan Wright was a dependable left back, loved at Aston Villa during his time there, he was previously part of the Blackburn Rovers squad that won the Premier League. He was always highly regarded and his fee of 1 million sterling when moving to Villa in the summer of 1995 is a testament to just how good he was. He spent the next eight years at Villa Park. He was an excellent tacker and possessed incredible speed which was often used to set up quick counter attacks. Alan Wright completes my back four.

_1495496_wright_poyet300.jpg

4. Claude Makelele

Well what can you say about this man, they thought they had a replacement for him at Chelsea, but since his departure things seem to be getting worse and meanwhile his new team PSG in France which struggled last year is flying high in Ligue1. Makelele was the engine in the Chelsea team that won two Premier Leagues in a row. He is widely regarded by those who have played with him to be the best they have played with. When the Real Madrid Galacticos lost him to Chelsea, their team fell apart very quickly. Frank Lampard has said that once he played with him he understood what the other greats that had played with him were talking about. Claude will be my engine room in my team, he will stop my awesome defence from having to deal with a lot of pressure and set up attacks with his immaculate passing ability. I can't see many goals being scored against my side with this man in front of an awesome defence.

_Claude_Makelele_39586t.jpg

11. Andy Townsend

He liked the 11 shirt and I'll give it to him. Andy Townsend is my workhorse, my box to box midfielder. Andy was another leader of men, he worked tirelessly for both club and country. Andy's £2.2 million pounds trasfer fee when moving to Aston Villa was one of the biggest fees payed out in the early days of the Premier League. His performances for Ireland were such that he kept Roy Keane out of the team for a long time. A fantastic midfielder he will be available when Claude looks for him and will cause opposing defences to spread due to his accurate passing and also the fact that he possesses a wicked shot from distance. I'm choosing Andy as my Team Captain.

_824279_towsend300.jpg

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason was a mainstay in the Blackburn Rovers team that won the Premier League and stayed with the club for a long time after that playing 271 times in total and scoring 31 goals. He eventually moved on to Leeds United in 1999 where he displaced Harry Kewell on the left side of midfield with his consistently high class displays. One of the best Corner Kick takers in the Premier League he will be my no.1 corner taker on both sides of the pitch. His link up play makes him very dangerous and his crossing ability is as good as it gets in football. With Alan Wrights speed he can set up attacks down the left with his link up play.

JWilcox2.jpg
    10. Steve Stone

Steve was one of the crucial players in the Nottingham Forest team that has a great Premier Leauge run in the '90s, he was eveywhere on the pitch for them but his ability on the right side of the pitch earned him rave reviews and also England caps. He was bought for big money by Aston Villa and was rumoured to be moving to Manchester United after only one season at Aston Villa. His career took a down turn shortly after that with the arrival of Graham Taylor at Villa Park. He moved to Portsmouth and was a vital part of their promotion and played for them in the Premier League until that great French manager Alain Perrin:rolleyes: decided to release him. He moved to Leeds and struggled from his arrival there with injury before he eventually had to retire from injury at the end of the '95/96 season. Steve will play down the right side for me and he will move in from time to time depending on the opposition as he can be dangeous when he does having scored 37 league goals during his career as well as assisting well over 100 times. He will be my no.2 corner taker staying out there with Jason Wilcox for most corners.

_180744_stone_and_speed300.jpg

7. Peter Beardsley

The little wizard was to me the Mardona of the Premier League. He was magnificent for Newcastle and provided most of the assists in Andy Cole's record breaking season with Newcastle. He also scored plenty himself. I will play the maestro in the hole just behind Alan Shearer. With both Stone and Wilcox well able to provide crosses and this man able to cut open defences with ball at his feet or by passing it, I'm salivating at the prospect of opoosing defences being ripped apart. Having tremendous tacklers behind him in Makele and Townsend he does not have to worry about taking chances. He is a one of a kind in this draft, there is no player that posesses the ability to beat players and create opportunities for others like this man. I was completly shocked when I was able to pick this man up with the 76th pick in the draft.

BEARDSLEY_Peter_19960811_SF_L.jpg
    9. Alan Shearer

Well what can you say, what can you say? I have the most potent goalscoring machine in the history of the Premier League, nobody has come close to equalling this man's records. I have so much class to provide for this man and he and Beardsley are the biggest nightmare partnership for any defence. They can both score goals from anywhere, they can both go it alone or lay it on for the other man. I see this as the best partnership possible in this draft. Alan Shearer will take my free kicks and penalties.

SHEARER_Alan_19930918_GH_R.jpg

I am extremely happy with my team, I have winners all over the pitch, I expect to score 2+ goals per game and I don't see how anybody can put goals past with any consistency so I expect to concede less than .5 goals per game with my defence. I have two ball winners in the centre of the park and two exceptional passers in Makelele and Townesend, I have one of the best link up players that ever played the game in Jason Wilcox.

When we go to this cup thing, I will provide tactics after I see who I am playing.

vs
    Trippie wrote: »
    Probably should of done this sooner so that the reasoning behind my picks was somewhat fresher in my mind.

Phillips

Rooney
    Pederson
    Bentley
    Fabregas---Flamini

Riise---Hreidarasson--- Yobo ---- G. Kelly

Cech

Pick 1)
    wayne+rooney_855_18295341_0_0_7005137_300.jpg
    As I was near the end of the first round draft nearly all of the unique players had been taken. I was delighted to be able to draft Wayne Rooney as my first pick. While Ronaldo has gotten all the plaudits I still think Rooney is more integral to the current united team than ronaldo. While he may not be as athlethic he is certianly a better footballer and the type of player that if he does lose a yard of pace it wont effect him too much. He doesnt score as many or create as many but offers a much more overall performance with his tracking back and willingness to graft and do the boring stuff. He is also capable of the truly sublime like his wonder goal agaisnt newcastle. He can link the play for me and yet is still big and strong enough to hold up the ball for my advancing midfielders.

Pick 2)
    Cesc_Fabregas_383809a.jpg

Yet again I had the chance to draft a truly unique player. Cesc had to step up and become a regular with the departure of Viera. He did that and has shown himself to be a special player in his own right. He has an unique vision for seeing space and has the passing ability to match this. If there were any doubts about him it was that he doesnt shoot enough. He addressed this at the start of last season and was integrale to arsenal scoring goals for fun at the start of the year.

Pick 3)
    petr-cech-save.jpg

By the time round 3 came along i felt i had the chance of being one fot he best teams int he draft with my first 2 players chosen. Unfortunatly i was going to have a long time to wait after makign my round 3 pick. It was with that in my mind I decided to go for the best goalkeeper left and probably the only one who if he didnt get injured could of been considered in the same league as Seamen and the great dane. Cech was immense pre scrum cap days and holds the record for clean sheets in a season and held the record for amount of time without conceeding. He is head and shoulders above the other goal keepers left in the draft at that time and i was glad i chose him.

Pick 4)
    _39869562_phillips_gi300x300.jpg

At the time I was considering a wide variety of players and positions but in the end I went for the one who I thought would compliment my attack the best. While others have gone for big strong centre forwards I want my team to be all about pace and guile,(listening to dunphy too much I think). No doubt there were strikers available later on that offered a goal every 2 games but I tihnk that of the ones left Phillips complimented my team better than anyone else. He is best remembered for his sunderland days where he scored 115 in 208 games. In his first season in the premiership he was insanely good scoring 30 that year and winning the european golden boot. He continued this form for the first half of the next season but while the amount he scored dropped a little his over all work rate increased a lot. He fitted the mould of players workign hard, tracking back and breaking forward at pace. With Rooney just off him and Cesc behiond the two of them I think i have a creative platform to score goals agaisnt any defence.

Pick 5)
    kelly.jpg

Byt he time round 5 came along i was in two minds as to who draft. I wanted to add David Batty to the midfield but he was taken so that meant i started looking to starting on my defence. I was going to have the chance to pick 2 players in quick sucession and as with all my other picks I have gone for players that would compliment each other. It was with that in mind that I decided to fill in my two full back positions. First up was Gary Kelly. He was the model of consistency andyou knew what you were getting from him. I felt that he was the best right back left in the draft as well and i chose him for his more defensive abilities as I wanted my right back to be a much more potent attacking force.

Pick 6)
    John_Arne_Riise_812213.jpg

as i said i wanted to pick two full backs with ym two choices. On the left I went for Riise becasue he is one fo the best left backs to have ever graced the premiership. Both his attacking and defensive ability in the first few seasons he played for Liverpool were of the highest calibre. He scored spectacular goals for fun and will be a constant threat down the flank for me. His attacking tendancies also meant that i was afforded the chance to go for a more defensive left sided player if needs be.

Pick 7)

With over 100 appearances in an arsenal shirt it was not until he was paired up consistently with Cesc in the middle of the park that we saw the best of him. The two of them together formed the best central midfield partnership in the premiership last season and he clearly brought out the best in Cesc as his form and arsenal's form as a whole has dipped since his departure to Milan. He is tough, mobile and willing to get stuck in. He will offer protection for my defence when cesc and the wingers move forward and will be ale to stop most creative attacking midfielders tryin to play through the centre. The key reason why I chose him was to let Cesc flourish and with him producing his best then I happy if Flamini never ventures past the half way line

Pick 8)

Thinking back now I am a little dissapointed I went for him as there could of been value had in choosing other positions. I needed a strong central defender which is why I went for Hreidarsson. He offered me a flexability as he also plays left back so if I was unable to get a left mid I could move Riise there and he can slot in. He has played over 100 games for two different clubs in Ipswich and Charlton and is athlethic, good in the air and quick. He will do a job for me and should recieve support from my full backs and central midfielders.

Pick 9)

When choosing this pick I felt that there were less left sided wingers available than any of the other positions left that I needed filling. It was with that in mind that i settled for a left mid and immediately Pederson came to mind. He has played 185 games for Blackburn scoring 32 and creating 37 but like all my other players he is athlethic and has a knack of scoring spectacular goals.

Pick 10)

On the right side of my midfield I have gone for David Bentley. He is quick, good with the ball at his feet and like Pederson scores the spectacular goals. He will have Kelly playing behind so if he does not track back as much as I would like it shouln't cause the team too many problems. He is also the first player in the history of the premier league to score 3 goals against united.

Pick 11)
    YO.jpg

When deciding on my last pick I tried to think of someone who would work with the team and not just the individual. My team is lacking in height so it was critical i got someone over 6 foot tall in the team. Like all my other picks i have gone for someone with pace and thats why I chose Yobo. He can chip in with a few goals a season and is dependable if not spectacular which is what I want from my centre back pairing.

Now that the players write ups are done I will move onto the team itself.

The whole time while choosing players I wanted a few things from the players. Uniqueness, compatability and pace. With Rooney and Fabregas running the show for me I will two of the best players currently playing in the one team and two that would compliment each other spectacularily. Their ability will mean that Phillips will have lots of support and will be provided with lots of opportunities to show his goal scoring prowess. If he can have another 30 goal season then I should have no problem scoring lots of goals with my midfield chipping in as well.

I think that pace over strength is much better to have when we are talking about the history of the premiership as a lot of the solid dependable centre backs from the early seasons are lacking in it. My attack should be able to get in behind most defences and one of the key reasons for this is the fact that my team can score spectacular goals from all over. With Bentley and Pederson on the wings and Riise attacking on the left, midfields and defences will have to mark these 3 in particular very closely as they are capable of scoring from anywhere. It is this space which will be created by the 3 guys that i hope my central figures can exploit and if they are not marked closely enough then no doubt my team will be winnign goal of the week/month most months with 40 yard screamers.

My defence is somewhat weak which is why I chose Flamini, as well as being the perfect foil for Fabregas he will sit in front of my back two and protect them as best he can. He should be able to pick up most attacking midfielders adn will be able to offload the ball to the more creative players in the team.

I will be looking for support from my two full backs who I think compliment my wingers perfectly. If Riise gets forward then Pedersen will track back and when Bentley gets forward he can be assured than Kelly hasnt gone missing and will be covering in case he loses the ball.

In goals I have one of the ebst goalkeepers to ever grace the premiership and he will be dependable and solid and with his command of the area plus the special treatment he gets from the refs will mean that he will be an adequete substitute for my lack of height when defending corners and free etc's.

My team will be an attacking one primarily but nearly all of the players are capable of tracking back if needs be. They will attack at pace and we will try to hold onto the ball as much as possible.

Overall I think i have a team good enough to win games and score goals aqnd while defences may win cups its goals that win games and win leagues

Eagle eye vs. Trippie 19 votes

eagle Eye
    0%
    Trippie
    100%
    Dont be at yourselfinvincibleirisheirebhoywardiewhatawastershoutmanPhotictrl-alt-deleteNecronomiconMitch Connor[Deleted User]Bubs101themont85DancormenoscemoIduCHDeagle eyetitan18 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Hmmmmm

While Eagle Eye has two very good centre backs as the basis of his team I still think that by playing to my strength's will be enough to see me through to the next round. When setting my team up I chose to go for pace,power and guile in attack and therefore I will not be playing long balls up the forwards as that would play into the hands of his defense with their excellent heading ability. Instead i will be keeping the ball on the ground and having runners get in behind his defense while threading balls through if they push up. If they do not push up and decide to sit back in the hope of denying me space in behind then the players will have a license to shoot from distance. With Bentley,Pederson,Fabregas,Rooney, Phillips and Riise all in the team I have more spectacular long range goals than any other team in my opinion. They will be so much of a threat that I feel Eagle Eye will have no other option than to push up and try to close me down as soon as possible. If he chooses to do this with his midfield then that is going to stretch his central paring out across the pitch leaving space for my guys to get into easily enough. With space in the middle I expect Fabregas to be able to run the show as with Rooney in front of him he will be able to hold the ball up for the oncoming midfield runners or release Phillips into the box. The speed of my midfield will also offer mean that Rooney himself could have space to do what he does best.

I think that my two full backs will have no problem dealing with his wingers and overlapping defenders if he decides to push them forward. Pederson and Riise should be able to deal with Nillson and Stone while Bentley will have to track back to help out Kelly cover Wilcox and Wright. If Eagle Eye is to get any joy it will be crossing balls into the box as Flamini will be staying back and offering coverage to the defense and he will be given the task of marshaling Beardsley and stopping him linking up with Shearer. Shearer is a pretty immense forward but i think I will be able to cut off the supply to him and as a result isolate him somewhat. When we dont have the ball Rooney's only job will be to put Makelele under pressure so that he doesnt have time to pick his passes to the wide men. With him under pressure I feel that the ball will have to go forward to the centre of the park and as a result they may just end up lumping long balls up to Shearer and hoping that he can hold the ball up. With my two big strong athletic centre backs they should be able to deal with the high balls easily enough and with Cech in goals I have one of the best keepers ever to play in the premiership

I think that the overall pace and athleticism in my team should be enough to see me past Eagle Eye in the long run as there are goals all over in my team so if any of the players have an off day there will be others there to cover for them and with at least 5 maybe 6 players who can score goals in the double digits a season I should be able to dispatch even the sternest of defenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Trippie
    I see this game going my way and handily. Lets start with the huge problem up front for Trippie. He has two decent wingers on either side but nobody to deliver a high ball to. His team is small in midfield and up front so there will be no battle in the air against my quality centre halves of Vidic and Laursen(imo the best header of a ball ever in the PL). He is depending on the erratic Kevin Phillips who scored goals when playing alongside Niall Quinn and needed a big man to create for him when he was at his best and the talented Wayne Rooney. While Rooney is hard to handle and may cause some problems, I contend that my Central Defensive partnership will handle these two men, and when Rooney does get his very odd chance he has never been the most clinical of strikers anyways. He still has to beat one of the greatest shot stoppers ever in Neville Southall by the way.

As for coming through the middle, well I've got Claude Makelele sitting in front of my defence and he will smother Fabregas. Flamini is a decent defensive midfielder player but I have Townsend who will be running from box to box all day long and Peter Beardsley who will play in the hole and represents a threat from anywhere on the pitch. So Flamini is really in no man's land against my team.

While there will be the odd cross coming in from Bentley, I have a perfect marker for him in Alan Wright, one of the fastest full backs ever to play in the PL so Bentley's pace which was such a critical part of his success at Blackburn is negated by Wright being able to match him in that department. On the other side one of my favs from my own club Blackburn Morten Gamst Pedersen is up against a no nonsense tough full back in Roland Nielsen. Some of you might not know or remember Nielsen but imo he is the best right back to ever play in the PL. He had pace and strength, a combination which does not suit Gamst as he can easily stay with him and knock him off the ball with a friendly shoulder.

On his defense, well all I can say is I don't rate it, Riise is a good full back but I intend to use the left side more often and prey on the weakness at right back that is Gary Kelly. Kelly was a very average full back, the fact that he lost his place at Leeds to Danny Mills really shows just how average he was. Kelly's greatest strength was pace but it will not be much use against Wilcox who was the master of linkup play, using his accurate passing and positioning to create openings for others and making space from himself to deliver crosses when the opportunity arises.
    He is also not strong at CB with Hreidarsson and Yobo pairing up there. I don't think anybody can see these two stopping Peter Beadsley and Alan Shearer from scoring goals.

Over the course of a season I would fully expect to beat his team handily, neither side have injury prone players but I would be shocked if I conceded a goal against this team. I'd expect my partnership up front to notch at least two. Towsend being my playmaker along with Wilcox shoud cut them open on his weak side. Stone will not have much to do in this game except trot in towards the centre from time to time as I'd consider Riise as a solid left back and would rather use other options than take the ball down his side of the pitch.

I'm just editing this to put in my line up

Southall
    Nielsen
    Laursen
    Vidic
    Wright
    Makelele

Stone
    Townsend
    Wilcox
    Beardsley

Shearer

Trippie
    Trippie I hadn't even seen your post, I started writing before you posted. Its nice to have it done that way.

Trippie
    Also just to add, I see he mentions his full backs coming into play. I've got two men on the right and left side of midfield who were both well able to defend when needed there, both have actually played as full backs when needed during their careers so I've no worries about his full backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

eagle eye wrote: »
    Also just to add, I see he mentions his full backs coming into play. I've got two men on the right and left side of midfield who were both well able to defend when needed there, both have actually played as full backs when needed during their careers so I've no worries about his full backs.

I guess thats what I was getting at, if my full backs push up and attack and your wingers drop back in order to defend against the over lap etc. If you win the ball back the only attacking outlet you will have is through the middle and you cold become very narrow unless the wingers are able to get forward quick enough

• Advertisement

Trippie
    Trippie wrote: »
    I guess thats what I was getting at, if my full backs push up and attack and your wingers drop back in order to defend against the over lap etc. If you win the ball back the only attacking outlet you will have is through the middle and you cold become very narrow unless the wingers are able to get forward quick enough
    I doubt you will be attacking on two sides at once, so I'd imagine I'll go up the side that presents itself at the time. I've got pace in the middle with Townsend so I'm not particularly worried, I can attack from all angles really. I also have full backs that can charge forward, on the right side Nielsen was well capable of running the length of the byline with the ball at his feet and he was extremely hard to dispossess. On the left side Wright can fly up the side of the pitch and link with Wilcox, whose vision means that attack could change direction at any time.

Advertisement