Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bubs101 vs. Luckylloyd

• 27-02-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Team name=Bubsies Babes

MNG, why would you lie, this is the classiest team in the draft

First Pick: Crisitiano Ronaldo
    2312787586_d477404469.jpg
    One of only two world players of the year in the draft he also boasts a Champion's League to his name. Lethal with his feet and in the air is the most versatile attacking option in the draft

Second Pick: Gary Neville
    gary_neville.jpg
    The best and most consistent right back in the history of the Premiership as shown by his amount of honours and positions in various PFA teams of the year. Started for two generations of great Man Utd teams

Third Pick: Joe Cole
    joe_cole.jpg
    One of my favourite players he is the perfect man to compliment Ronaldo. Both have played and excelled in the system and both can play on each wing. Has a great pass and can beat men easily

Fourth Pick: Jay Jay Okocha

Bolton's best player for years, he is the luxury man that my two defensive midfielders allow.The former African player of the year is great with the ball and capable of winning games single handedly on his day

Fifth Pick: Ledley King

Tottenham's talisman when Sol left is a great athletic defender. Solid as a rock in the air and pacey for a big man. Also a consumate professional

Sixth Pick: Dennis Wise

The Eddie Guerrero of football, willing to do anything it takes to win the game. When he's not trying to fondle Ian Wright he is an energetic bulldog in midfield capable of winning midfield battles against the likes of Keane and Viera in his heyday. Also a great leader and the captain of my team

Seventh Pick: Richard Dunne
    dunne.jpg
    The poor man's John Terry must have been doing something right to win Man City's player of the year four times in a row, a remarkable achievement in itself. Phenomenal positioning coupled with great strength and a good ariel presence, his lack of pace should be covered by my eighth pick

Eighth Pick: Wayne Bridge

The man who was effectively screwed out of a Chelsea place because they had to justify the fee payed for the constantly dissapointing Cole had always impressed when given the chance. His quality passing, tactical sense and pace recently commanded a 12 million pound transfer fee

Ninth Pick: Magnus Hedman

A great keeper with a phenomenal wife he kept Coventry in the Premiership for years with outstanding performances behind a ramshackle defence. Perhaps the best evidence of his quality was that he got signed by Chelsea based on his past brilliance despite his career dipping dramatically once he left Coventry

Tenth Pick: Alan Boksic
    boksic200BBC.jpg
    The former runner up World Player of the year may have been in the twighlight of his career when he joined Borough but he was the highest paid player in the Premierhsip and scored 20 goals in 48 games in a simply pitiful team

Eleventh Pick: Edgar Davids
    davids_edgar_thfc_profile_2006.jpg
    One of the most iconic players in the game who's CV reads the greatest clubs of the 90s helped Spurs to their best Premiership finish ever. One of the best passes of a defensive midfielder as well

Tactics
    Hedman

Neville
    King----Dunne----Bridge

Davids
    Wise(c)

Okocha

Ronaldo
    J.Cole

Boksic

I'm very happy with my team, and would probably only change one pick if I could.

Starting from the back I have 3 guys who were/are the defensive talisman for their clubs in King, Dunne and Hedman who have numerous supporters player of the year between them (rarities for a defensive player). They are extremely solid at the back and that's where they'll stay (no goal keeping corners for Hedman). I have the best right back ever in Neville and in Bridge I have a quality left back with a great pass. Dunne plays beside Bridge to help cover his lack of pace. They will be a Mourinho-esque back four in that they are full backs and strictly full backs. None of this left backs running to the front. Both have shown that they can do this.

The midfield is the real crowning joy of my team. Wise and Davids will harry the opposition and get me the ball, I feel they complement each other well as Wise will break the rules as much as possible to get the ball whereas Davids has the continental experience to play well tactically, read the game and has a good pass to. Okocha in essence has a free role, he will be used to get the ball to Cole and Ronaldo but obviously will be encouraged to dribble up the field.

Ronaldo and Cole compliment each other fantastically. The worlds best player and Chelsea's best from last year can play on both sides and love running at defenders. In essence, they will be constantly swapping wings and if one has no luck against a fullback, they can swap so the other can take a crack at him. Needless to say Ronaldo will be my main attacking threat in the team.

Boksic will be working of scraps and crosses. He won't be expected to do much running, just use his technichal skill to make the most of chances when he gets them. His guile and experience should help him get free positionally while his time abroad (particularly in Italy) will have forced him to play in many different tactics so he should have no trouble adapting to this one. His goal ratio was very impressive while playing with Noel Whelan and co so it's not unrealistic to expect him to improve while playing with a higher quality team

vs.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To begin, I wish to recap how each pick fared in terms of relative value. This is an element of the process that I felt was misunderstood by some of the participants. Yes, we are drafting a team and need to keep an eye at all times on how things will fit together in the end. However, that is only half the battle as far as running a good draft is concerned. Part of the objective
    (and especially in the early rounds) is to make sure that you are taking close to the best player available with your picks; and if you are going to select at an individual position irrespective of BPA concerns, your aim should be to take the best player remaining for that position at that time.

With that in mind, let's recap how I drafted in order from one through to eleven...

Value Assessment:

Patrick_Vieira-newkit.jpg

I think Vieira was sick, sick value where he went. If we were to repeat this process or if there was a version of this process done elsewhere I contend that Vieira is a top five - ten pick most of the time.

Marcel_Desailly.jpg

Desailly is ok value at this spot imo. By taking him at this spot, he went as the seventh defender chosen overall. That sounds fair enough to me. He was a player I wanted, and if I didn't take him there he wasn't going to be around for my next pick.

ginola_david.jpg

When I originally participated in a Premiership draft on 2 + 2, Ginola was selected 22nd overall. I took him at 55 here. Now, a player like him is difficult to approximate in terms of overall value because of the inconsistent nature of his career. But the Premiership has seen very few players like him since it's inception - very few players have passed through with his type of upside and ability to make things happen out of thin air. Given the solid base I had established with my first two picks, I think I was able to go flair here - and if I am going for a flamboyant attacking option he was definitely the best option remaining on the board at that point.

Brad_Friedel_830293.jpg

Friedel was the 10th goalkeeper selected. Enough said in terms of good value!

harry_kewell_narrowweb__300x377,0.jpg

I selected Kewell at 114 overall, 21 picks after Ashley Young; 34 picks after Damien Duff; and 57 picks after Freddy Ljunberg had gone off the board. I can live with the relative value I'm getting here.

If people can remember (how could I forget after all!), the merits of this pick were attacked by some. I am confident that I proved beyond a reasonable doubt statistically that for the clear majority of his career Sutton was a prolific goal scorer. And we all know how good of a war horse up front he is outside of the stats. Again though, in terms of relative value I can only be happy - given that I took Sutton as the 32nd forward to go, after the likes of Yakubu and Saha.

Steve_Finnan868169.jpg

Delighted with this pick. 7th RB chosen and 151 overall, when he has to be somewhere in the top five in his position over the history of the premiership. Another way to look at it: Dan Petrescu was selected at 59 and Gary Kelly went at 118.

Des Walker in round 8 is obviously good value.

Hinchcliffe at 210 is kinda meh. He was always going to be drafted somewhere in the last three rounds. I would have liked to wait until round 10 as far as overall BPA value is concerned - but considering the left backs still around at that point (and the teams who still had to fill out that position) I think I needed to snag him here.

Getting Youri here isn't exceptional value. He was a player I wanted, and one I definitely think should have been drafted and given that I knew who my last pick was going to be and that he would definitely would be available in the last round this is fine.

t1_mcbride.jpg

At this point, there were possibly a few strikers still about with better stats - but none of those players could hold a candle to the overall contribution that Big Brian will lend a team. Plus, given the quality I have out wide and his ability in the air - I felt it reasonable to believe he would score more in this team as he would be receiving much, much better service than that provided to him during his time at Fulham.

So overall, I think my first eight picks were very good to excellent in terms of relative value. And the last three weren't bad value. As such, I was happy with how I drafted in a vacuum.

Formation:

Friedel

Finnan
    Walker
    Desailly
    Hinchcliffe

Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

Sutton
    McBride (C)

Balance. That's what I like about the above group.

In terms of the overall, the team is anchored solidly by the combination of a strong center back pairing working in tandem with a World - Class defensive midfielder and exceptional goalkeeper infront and behind. This solid base allows the luxury of three lightweight creative players in the form of Ginola, Djorkaeff and Kewell - as Djorkaeff is covered by Vieira, Ginola by Finnan, and Kewell by Hinchcliffe. On the flip side of that coin - each of Vieira, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are capable of taking good forward positions and aiding / taking advantage of the threat posed by the pure attackers. McBride and Sutton are clever players who move well off the ball and will make decent runs / take up good positions to help provide options for Djorkaeff / Vieira playing through the middle or the wide players getting to the byline to swing it in. The overall effect will test all aspects of an opposing defense:

- Ginola and Kewell will threaten with pace, ability to beat players and get to the byline and cross;
    - When Sutton and McBride pose a dynamic physical prescense in the box and will be able to make strong cuts to the ball in the air;
    - Or if Kewell or Ginola are shown inside they have the ability to shoot well from distance or link off the strikers (McBride in particular) or Djorkaeff;
    - And if a defense gets stretched wide or high Djorkaeff and Vieira are players who will be able to make good late runs and deliver a cutting edge in the opponents box;

I will concede that the one part of the lineup that isn't supremely balanced is the strike partnership. Neither of McBride or Sutton possess world class pace or the ability to get the ball down and beat one or two players in this league. However, given that Ginola and Kewell will be operating high up the pitch - the attack as a whole will be well balanced. Clever and strong through the center, dynamic and fast out wide.

Mentally, much will be made of the unreliability and flakiness of the likes of Kewell and Ginola. I think we will get the best out of them on this team though - because of the strength of character of those around them. Friedel, Desailly, Vieira, Djorkaeff and McBride provide a great leadership spine - model professionals who will inspire through word and deed on the pitch, and help to foster a good atmosphere in the dressing room. The likes of Finnan, Hinhcliffe, Walker and Sutton are good honest pros who will work very hard by default. Is Ginola going to sulk when he has three countrymen on the team who work their balls off and can point to numerous medals and awards earned throughout their career? Are we going to see the worst of Kewell when he isn't the biggest star on show on this team and he's got a great group working their asses off around them? Maybe - but I have to think that if we were ever to see them at their most dedicated, it would be while playing in this team.

Tactical Flexibility:

For me, writing about my default strategy or way of playing is fairly redundant. In a cup format against teams that also have exceptional players any idea that you can simply have the one gameplan and ignore the specific threats posed by the opposition is folly. Instead, I think the question is how many of the bases can your eleven cover?

With the Ball:

Sutton and McBride provide a great first outlet. They will tirelessley run the channels and are both adept at battling for the hopeful ball and holding it up before bringing oncoming support into play. On top of that Ginola and Kewell are the types to get high up the pitch quickly to feed off and support the strikers if they have to be hit early. As such, the combination of strength and guile in the middle and pace out wide means that we will be able to counter attack and break quickly and directly. We carry a quick strike threat.

If a team sits off us, Desailly is an above average user of the ball from the back; Vieira and Djorkaeff will make good use of possession; and Finnan and Hinchcliffe are decent crossers and long range passers. There is no reason to think that we will be unable to hold the ball for stretches and wait for things to develop up the pitch. Then, in terms of making things happen up top, we obviously will have the quality out wide to test a team that packs the center. And if a team is weak through the middle, Djorkaeff / McBride / Sutton should be good enough to make it happen. Furthermore, we can employ all passing styles - direct to the strikers or with raking balls down the flanks for Kewell and Ginola to run onto. Or a more ponderous approach working off Djorkaeff as a link in the middle.

Whatever the team, I think that we will be able to look at them and see ways in which chances can be created.

Without the Ball:

Starting with the goalkeeper, Friedel is an excellent shot stopper who is also good against high balls. He rarely makes errors and is a commanding presence at the back who will keep up a high level of chat to those defending infront of him. Having a solid guy behind a backline inspires confidence. And when that guy will additionally make great blocks that he has no right to make - the overall effect is essentially that of a 'get of jail free' card.

Desailly and Walker amount to a great all round pairing. First and foremost they read the game well and take up excellent defensive positions. They have top end pace and acceleration, and are well able to make well timed and effective tackles. Obviously they are very solid in the air. And finally, they have that extra 'X factor' for players in their position - they are brave and determined individuals who will strive to make the heroic block or last ditch interception.

On either side, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are good defenders. Finnan especially is a great cover fullback. He is constantly alert and switched on and has a good eye for when to come inside and help out the center backs / pick up a loose player in a broken passage of play, etc. Hinchcliffe is an old school English defender - he will not be one to negate defensive responsibilities or shirk from sticking his body on the line when required.

So we have a good goalkeeper and backline, but what sticks this team over the top defensively is having the physical beast that is Vieira mopping things up infront of them. A phenomenal athlete with a great understanding of the game and a spikey personality - Patch provides world class protection for this team.

Up the pitch, McBride and Sutton are the type of players to really harass and press opposing backlines. Teams are not going to find it easy to build slowly from the back, and errors in execution from deep lying players in possession will be forced and punished by my strikers.

The weakness of this team therefore is the lightweight trio of Djorkaeff, Ginola and Kewell. Djorkaeff tries very hard, and won't sell the team short because of effort. As noted earlier, I can only believe that Ginola and Kewell will be in an environment that spurs them to work their hardest. Even then, they are not going to be great tacklers or defenders in the air. The players around them more than make up for that though - once they don't entirely switch off and give up on marking assignments / not run back and harry players etc, etc. I'm banking that they won't.

Hanging on / Going all out

If I'm holding onto a lead, Sutton's ability to play center back and Desailly's previous time as a defensive center mid is useful:

Friedel

Finnan
    Sutton
    Walker
    Hinhcliffe

Desailly
    Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

McBride

And if we're really desperate, you can leave Kewell and Ginola all the way up there with the two fullbacks pushed up - as the pace and athleticism of Desailly and Walker is such that they won't completely crumble for a short period. Plus, if you are lumping it late on - McBride and Sutton are kinda ideal. Particularly with a clever player with good technique when striking the ball in Djorkaeff to be in and around the edge of the box to pounce.

Setpieces:

This is a definite strength of the team imo. Djorkaeff and Hinchcliffe are great strikers of a dead ball - with Kewell and Ginola not being too shabby. We have great height and ability in the air throughout the team, with the five of Walker, Desailly, Vieira, McBride and of course Sutton being an asset in defending or attacking corner kicks and set pieces.

As far as penalties are concerned, Djorkaeff or Vieira will be well able to take them.

Conclusion:

Whether this team is the best or not is for others to decide. I think we'll be able to compete against everyone, and I won't fear matching up with anyone. :)

Bubs101 vs. LuckyLloyd 13 votes

bubs101
    0%
    Lloyd
    100%
    RasTaPiEVokesJazzyMr.Nice GuyntlbellMitch ConnorFrisbeeBubs101[Deleted User]CHDRichTeatitan18 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lloyd
    Don't have time for a long write up but i feel it's important to point out that despite Viera's pedigree, I feel that I'd actually do very well in the midfield, mainly because Wise and Wise's teams always played much better against big clubs and I have the extra man. With the midfield battle won I'd be fairly confident of the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Don't have time for a long write up but i feel it's important to point out that despite Viera's pedigree, I feel that I'd actually do very well in the midfield, mainly because Wise and Wise's teams always played much better against big clubs and I have the extra man. With the midfield battle won I'd be fairly confident of the win

Problem is, the question is not who would win a once off cup game - rather who would perform better over the course of a league season. Davids was inconsistent by the time he got to England; Okocha, Boksic and King for a variety of reasons can not be depended upon to light it up from one end of the season to the other.

Lloyd
    King can be, his injury problems were all concentrated towards a period at the end of his currently ongoing career. Before then he played the majority of games in every season and his injury devestated ones have made up such a small part of his playing career that they can effectively be disregarded. You used a much flimsier excuse for excluding Sutton's bad periods. Okocha can be as well. By far Bolton's best player for 4 seasons so I don't see how you could claim he's inconsistent. As for Davids and Boksic, there is a reason they were my 10th and 11th pick but they have good records, experience and class. TBH, I think your wing backs would have a lot of trouble with Ronaldo and Cole

Finnan will do well against Cole - his record in games against Chelsea was very, very good and he was one of the best right backs available in this process and solid as a rock defensively. Ronaldo would have an edge against Hinchcliffe no doubt, but with Okocha and Boskic inside squaring off against Vieira, Desailly and Walker (all fine athletes) I would expect to be able to bring help across.

Again though, this is not a question of who wins a once off game!!

Between the 2000 / 2001 season and the 2007 / 2008 season, Ledley King averaged 24 appearances a season, and only twice made more than 29. That's an average of 14 games a season where he is unavailable. Okocha was great, but is the definition of a luxury attacking option. in 2005 / 2006 he had the most shots of any player in the league while scoring only a single goal; and he was stripped of the captaincy during his final season at Bolton because of doubts over his commitment to the cause. Boksic could only manage 48 games in two and a half seasons at Boro, struggling mightily with injuries as his career wound to an end. Davids made just 40 appearances in two seasons at Spurs.

I have two inconsistent players in Ginola and Kewell aswell, but the problem for you is that the undependable performers run throughout the spine of your side. Over the course of a league campaign, that is going to kill your team stone dead - particularly in a hypothetical league like this which is packed with quality at every turn.

Lloyd
    But your inconsistent players are the only ones capable of creating magic in your team. Sutton and McBride are going to need a consistent and a good supply over a season and Kewell, Djokaeff and Ginola cannot be counted on to provide it. Ronaldo, Okocha and Cola are some of the most consistent attacking midfielders in Premiership history while Boksic's goal record speaks for itself.

With Ronaldo my team is guaranteed goals consistently from the midfield throughout a season. With Cole and Okocha it guarantees the creativity with Boksic will need to feed off and with Boksic's record in the Premiership with an awful supporting cast I'd be surprised if it wasn't increased to at least 1 in every 2 games from 1 in every 2.5. BTW, in a one of match I'd obviously pair Ronaldo against Finnan and Cole against Andy

• Advertisement

gg, close one.

Advertisement