Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whatawaster vs. Mayor Dennis

• 27-02-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Team Discovery Channel

Planning

I began by trawling through wikipedia pages, club websites and various other sources, compiling an excel database of around 500 players from virtually every club who have played in the premier league. I then went through every name quickly and rated them all out of ten (there were 27 tens) and sorted them by position. Two things became clear: 1. I was only going to get one or two world class players into my team, and i had to make them count, and 2. There was a real shortage of top-class attacking players beyond the elite few. So my strategy was a no-brainer. Build from the front. Apart from the fact that there are fewer quality attacking players, I believe that it would be possible to build a solid defence around 5 average players (as it turns out I wasn't left with 5 average defenders), but it would be far more difficult to score goals and create chances with a mediocre attack.

My picks (in order chosen)

1. Thierry Henry - Centre Forward - 254 premier league appearances
    My talisman and my captain. Phenomenal goal-scoring and goal creation record, and for me he's hands down the best attacking player the premier league has seen.

2. Steve McManaman - Right Wing / Free Role - 240 premier league appearances
    He has it all - pace, engine, workrate, ego, dribbling and most importantly - delivery. Only David Beckham has a better assists to games ratio in premier league history, and no other Liverpool player has created as many goals as Macca.

3. Damien Duff - Left Wing / Second Striker - 320 premier league appearances
    Damo will bring tremendous pace, the ability to beat players with ease, excellent workrate and tremendous versatility. Also a discount on Lucozade.

4. Dietmar Hamann - Defensive Midfielder - 268 premier league appearances
    Rock solid, reliable, hugely experienced in the PL. He'll protect my back four by breaking up play and set off attacks with his accurate passing. Also strikes an excellent dead ball.

5. Robbie Keane - Centre Forward - 292 premier league appearances
    I brought in Robbie because i think he'll complement Henry perfectly. Has wonderful movement, vision and works tirelessly for the team. Also has an excellent eye for goal.

6. Thomas Gravesen - Central Midfielder - 156 premier league appearances
    Again brought in as he'll complement Didi beautifully. Will bring much needed aggression, fight and determination to the engine room and he is much under-rated in an attacking sense. He'll create chances, support the attacks and chip in with the odd vital goal.

7. Rob Jones - Right Back - 155 premier league appearances
    Was my first choice right back from the start. Excellent all-round full-back. A very good defender and he loves to get forward and is good on the ball. He has also played a lot with McManaman so they should have plenty of chemistry on the right flank.

8. Stephane Henchoz – Centre Back – 233 premier league appearances
    One of the best tacklers I’ve seen in the premiership, Henchoz was a key member of Liverpool’s treble winning side in 2001. He boasts decent pace, he’s good in the air and has an invaluable knack of getting away with handballs in big matches.

9. John Beresford – Left Back – 179 premier league appearances
    Like Jones, Beresford is a fine all round player. Solid in defence and classy in attack he made his name as a pivotal member of Newcastle’s “entertainers.”

10. Alan Stubbs – Centre Back – 204 premier league appearances
    A tough battling centre-half, who showed his leadership skills in leading Bolton to a league cup final in the mid ninties. Can be relied on to organize the defense well and is excellent in the air.

11. Thomas Sorensen – Goalkeeper – 265 premier league appearances
    Hugely experienced premiership goalkeeper. Wonderful shot-stopper and good in all other areas. I couldn’t believe I got him in the 11th round.

The Formation(s)

Sorensen

Jones
    Stubbs
    Henchoz
    Beresford

McManaman
    Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry (c)

On paper it looks like your standard 442, but I see it slightly differently. The goalkeeper and back four are obvious, and Hamann will sit in front of them, only venturing forward on rare occasions. Gravesen will be the aggressor in midfield and will play box to box. These 7 will provide the team with excellent shape and solidity in defense.
    The front 4 will line up as they are in the formation above, but I will try and base our attacks fluency of movement, making good use of the versatility of all four players. So you could see us line up as above, or:

Duff
    McManaman
    Henry----

Keane

Or countless other variations. The opposition won’t know what to expect!

Defense

It is said that all great teams are built on a great defense. Built from the back. Not mine. But overall I’m absolutely delighted with how my back 5 panned out. I think I got great value from my last 5 picks. I honestly don’t see my team shipping too many goals.
    - My team is equipped to defend from the front. Keane, Duff, McManaman and Gravesen all have good engines and attitudes and will hassle and harass opponents on the ball high up the pitch. This, hopefully, will limit onslaughts against my defense.
    - All my attacking players are good on the ball. I’d expect to spend plenty of time in the opposition areas, again easing the pressure on my defense.
    - Didi Hamann. He has shown through his career, though particularly at Liverpool, that he is a super solid holding midfielder. He’ll sit, break up attacks, limit the space for the opposition’s creative players and play simple passes to start attacks.
    - Full backs. I think I have two of the most under-rated full-backs the premiership has seen. Both have good recovery pace to help the centre backs
    - Both centre-backs have lots of PL experience, both good readers of the game, good in the air and strong in the tackle. Neither is blessed with extraordinary pace, but make up for it with their strong positional sense.

Midfield

I’m very happy with my balance in this area. Hamann will have a calming influence on the whole team. Slowing the pace down when we are under pressure, laying it off to another player when we are starting attacks. Gravesen will be the opposite. Full of energy, making tackles and getting up and down the pitch. He will be vital both defensively and offensively to my team. Both midfielders are adept at winning back and maintaining possession and I feel confident that they won’t be over-run or dominated by even the stronger midfields they will come up against. Robbie will, of course, drop back to lend a helping hand when needed.

Attack

This is the area of the team I’m most pleased about.
    - Jones and Beresford both have the will and the ability to get forward whenever they see the opportunity. Both are strong crossing on their respective flanks when they get past their winger. Both have the legs to beat their opposite player. Both are classy enough on the ball to pick out a player further infield when there is nothing else on ahead of them.
    - McManaman I see as the main creative force in my team. He is an assist machine. His starting position will always be the right flank, but I envisage him often roaming infield with the ball, swapping flanks with Duff, or even playing through the middle behind Keane, with Henry drifting wide.
    - Duff. Another versatile attacking threat. Experience on both flanks and up front for his country. I won’t shackle him the way Mourinho did at Chelsea. He’ll be allowed to express himself, hopefully showing the kind of devastating form that saw him light up the 2002 world cup.
    - Keane. An important link man between defense and attack. His vision will hopefully see him set up Henry for countless chances, and his movement is excellent so he’ll make himself space for the wingers to find him in. He’ll play a pivotal role in my side. I expect him to lead the line on occasions (don’t worry, there’ll be no long balls up to him), but more often to drop deep, link up with the wingers, play one twos with Gravesen when he advances forward. And of course, chip in with some goals.
    - Henry. My brother. My captain. My king. Undoubtedly my most important player. As an attacker he has everything. He has the movement to wait up top for a through ball, the intelligence to find space out wide and terrify full-backs and most importantly, he loves scoring goals. I expect chances to be many in my side. I think he’ll relish the attacking system I’ll play. As attacking as Arsenal were, but hopefully more clinical and direct. Like my other attacking players he’ll have the freedom to use his versatility. Dropping deep, drifting wide etc . . .

Overall

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with the way the draft has gone. At the start of this process, I set out what my dream side would be. Once I had decided on Henry as a first pick I tweaked this side, omitting obviously unrealistic players like Keane, Viera etc. In the end I managed to get three of them (Henry, McManaman and Jones). All of the players I picked were fairly high on my shortlists, and many of them became first choices after a couple of rounds. I’ll finish by analyzing my teams main strengths and potential weaknesses (and more importantly how I’ll overcome them):

Strengths –
    - I believe I have the best attacking options out of all the teams in the draft. I love the balance of my attack. Two wingers, two overlapping attacking fullbacks. An intelligent linking striker and the best forward in premier league history.
    - Experience. When I saw other teams including players with 40 or so appearances I knew I’d have an edge in this department. All my players have more than 150 premier league appearances between them. On average each of them has played 233 times in the league. I believe this is very important and I doubt many teams are as experienced.

Weaknesses

- My central defenders could be said to lack pace. There were certainly quicker full backs out there for me to choose, but I’m happy with Henchoz and Stubbs. The fullbacks both have the pace to help them out, Hamann will work tirelessly to protect them and they are both intelligent enough to position themselves in the right areas to snuff out threats.
    - There have been doubts expressed over Henry’s captaincy in the past, but to defend him I think he is the right choice for my team. He will lead by terrific example and unlike at Arsenal he won’t be leading a team of kids, rather a side full of experienced premier league players.

Team Name:Team Discovery Channel
    Captain: Thierry Henry
    Free Kicks: Thierry Henry, Didi Hamann
    Corners: Duffer, Macca
    Penalties: Thierry Henry

Finally, I’d like to thank Lloyd for all his effort in putting all of this together. It really has been great fun.

vs.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Team Name - 11 winners and Denis
    shaka_hislop_disco_270.jpg

smithc7428112006.P02.jpgcampbell_sol_afc_profile_2005.jpgagger.jpgIanHarte_582997.jpg

image_3356.jpgnolan_kevin_bwfc_profile_2007.jpggareth-barry.jpgpires_robert_afc_profile_2005.jpg

El capitain : Sol Campbell
    Pens : Gareth Barry
    Free Kicks : A scrum between Harte, Barry, Pires, Agger and Nolan.

jurgen_klinsmann.jpgian+rush

write up after my lunch

Lunch OVER

On Goal Shaka Hislop was my last pick round 11 and for me the best value anyone got in round 11 because for 3/4 seasons he was really one of the best keepers anywhere, It took Shay Given to oust him at newky and he was dynamite for the Hammers too - Great Keeper. Probably my smartest pick going by round/value.

The back 4

I look at Markus Babbel at right back as the complete full back for me - He ceratinly will be questioned over his career more or less ending through sickness but he cannot be questioned for the quality delivery he provides and how strong a defender he is, Slotting in to my centre I have Sol Campbell and Daniel Agger - I know alot of questions will be asked of Agger - but I honestly believe he's one of the Greatest footballing Centre Halves I've ever seen - while's he's young and inexperienced he's also a good header of the ball a real attacking threat from set pieces and his own mazy dribbles and wonder strikes, Add to that Sol Campbell and Agger's "inexperience" becomes less of an Issue having the best centre back to ever grace the premiership beside him makes this an excellent partnership for me.
    On the left to complete my back 4 I have Ian Harte - who's still thought of much more highly in England than he is here, because he never provided his best work for Ireland he did however provide his best work for Leeds, Such a danger from set pieces and when young was quite the accomplished defender - as sweet a left leg as there has been in this draft.

The middle of the Park

2 Box to box midfielders - can it work? Yes of course.
    Midfields didn't always come in todays categories of defensive, attacking, boxtobox etc. They used to come in only 2 Good and Bad.
    My to are good, Gareth Barry and Kevin Nolan - They score Goals, They make Goals, The break up play, They both have an excellent range of passing, they both have a huge engine and can go for 90 minutes, both are relatively un-injury prone in a position you need your team to keep going. They have it all for me.
    On the wings I have 2 very different wingers 1 is the Craftiest of all the Crafty wingers there ever was and That's Robert Pires, if there is something in football that he can't do then it isn't worth doing, and he might just win me a few soft peno's :pac:
    On the right wing I have Shaun Wright-Phillips He's explosive lightning quick, great delivery and chips in with plenty of goals, too many goals some would say.

Up top

Klinnsmann and Rush

GOALS GOALS GOALS - if only Batistuta played in the prem so I could really of had my 90's dream team partnership

Whatawaster vs, Mayor Dennis 14 votes

Waster
    0%
    Dennis
    100%
    RasTaDont be at yourselfeirebhoyIagowardieMr.Nice GuywhatawasterNecronomiconMitch ConnorTrippieFrisbeemenoscemoBobalicious93titan18 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dennis
    Whilst Mayordenis has a good side, i believe my team has more than enough quality to come out on top:

1. Goalkeepers: fairly even i think, but i believe Sorensen to be the more consistent of the two

2. Defense: I think my defense wins hands down.
    - Rob Jones v Markus Babbel - Jones wins i think. Babbel has only 67 premier league appearances to his name, and while he was a great player, i think Jones' impact on the premier league is far greater

- Henchoz/Stubbs v Campbell/Agger - I would say Campbell is the best of the 4 players, but i think Agger lets the partnership down. He has less than 50 appearances, while my CB's have over 400 between them.

- Beresford v Ian Harte - I never rated Harte as a defender, while his set pieces are useful, Beresford has better pace and is a better defender.

3. Midfield:

- Hamann/Gravesen v Nolan/Barry - I think we'd see a great battle here, no side would probably dominate the other, but i like the balance of my midfield better. Hamman's discipline and Gravesen's aggression would see us win a lot of the ball, and both are excellent distributors. I think Nolan is the weakest of the 4 players on show and would let Barry down to some extent.

- McManaman v Wright-Phillips - No contest here, McManaman is one of the great wingers in prem history.

- Duff v Pires - Pires probably takes this one on quality alone, but Duff's longevity and undoubted ability makes this a close one

4. Strikers:
    - Keane/Henry v Klinsmann/Rush - Klinsmann and Rush are two legends of the game, but on overall impact on the premiership they don't come close to my two imo. Keane and Henry have between them 284 goals in 547 matches (0.51 per game). Klinsmann and Rush have just 78 goals in 242 matches(0.32 per game)

Overall, i think my team has had a superior impact on the premiership. None of my players have below 150 prem appearances; 3 of his have below 70.
    I also think my team has better balance in midfield and attack and i think i've demonstrated in my position by position analysis that, on the whole, my players are of a higher quality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

1. Goalkeepers: fairly even i think, but i believe Sorensen to be the more consistent of the two Agree with that

- Rob Jones v Markus Babbel - Jones wins i think. Babbel has only 67 premier league appearances to his name, and while he was a great player, i think Jones' impact on the premier league is far greater Not so sure here, Rob jones was a very solid defender but I think overall just simply wasn't as good as Babbel, going forward, defending, being an engine at right back

- Henchoz/Stubbs v Campbell/Agger - I would say Campbell is the best of the 4 players, but i think Agger lets the partnership down. He has less than 50 appearances, while my CB's have over 400 between them. Campbell will win everything in the air and will marshall one of the best young centre backs in the world, Agger will start attacks from the back and will overrun your midfield.

- Beresford v Ian Harte - I never rated Harte as a defender, while his set pieces are useful, Beresford has better pace and is a better defender. Very harshly judged by us here in Ireland, as he never did a whole lot for the country, but for leeds when they were pushing for the champions league he was a very big player, wasn't slow during his prem years with leeds, and was a very very good attacking threat, set pieces, corners general crosses from wide

3. Midfield:

- Hamann/Gravesen v Nolan/Barry - I think we'd see a great battle here, no side would probably dominate the other, but i like the balance of my midfield better. Hamman's discipline and Gravesen's aggression would see us win a lot of the ball, and both are excellent distributors. I think Nolan is the weakest of the 4 players on show and would let Barry down to some extent.I'd have to argue with this one alot, Kevin Nolan is the most under-rated player to have played in the League in my opinion, Gravesen had what 1 good season? went off to Real and showed his true colours, With Barry and Nolan you have 2 player's who can play good football, score goals, tackle, they read the game well, they can run all day long. I'll admit Hamann is the best in the business at breaking up play, but with these 2 he would have his hands very much full. Also my midfield centre partneship offer alot going forward, where as Grav and Hamann for all there qualities don't offer a whole lot.

- McManaman v Wright-Phillips - No contest here, McManaman is one of the great wingers in prem history.Macca is class I can't argue with that, SWP however will cause you defence huge problems with his pace.

- Duff v Pires - Pires probably takes this one on quality alone, but Duff's longevity and undoubted ability makes this a close oneSorry man this one isn't close, Duff had a few seasons where he showed the potential to be world class, was quite good and faded. Pires was just phenomenal winning player of the season and a couple of league titles along the way.

4. Strikers:
    - Keane/Henry v Klinsmann/Rush - Klinsmann and Rush are two legends of the game, but on overall impact on the premiership they don't come close to my two imo. Keane and Henry have between them 284 goals in 547 matches (0.51 per game). Klinsmann and Rush have just 78 goals in 242 matches(0.32 per game) Henry is the best striker to have played in the league, and if it wasn't for Campbell, he'd run my defence ragged I think, although when he drifts out left I don't think he'd get much change from babbel either. Keane is a fairweather player :pac: Klinsmann scored 20 in 41 and rush scored 45 in 130 - both good records and both players very capable of grabbing goals against uncultured swines like Stubbs
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dennis
    mayordenis wrote: »
    1. Goalkeepers: fairly even i think, but i believe Sorensen to be the more consistent of the two Agree with that

- Rob Jones v Markus Babbel - Jones wins i think. Babbel has only 67 premier league appearances to his name, and while he was a great player, i think Jones' impact on the premier league is far greater Not so sure here, Rob jones was a very solid defender but I think overall just simply wasn't as good as Babbel, going forward, defending, being an engine at right back

- Henchoz/Stubbs v Campbell/Agger - I would say Campbell is the best of the 4 players, but i think Agger lets the partnership down. He has less than 50 appearances, while my CB's have over 400 between them. Campbell will win everything in the air and will marshall one of the best young centre backs in the world, Agger will start attacks from the back and will overrun your midfield.

- Beresford v Ian Harte - I never rated Harte as a defender, while his set pieces are useful, Beresford has better pace and is a better defender. Very harshly judged by us here in Ireland, as he never did a whole lot for the country, but for leeds when they were pushing for the champions league he was a very big player, wasn't slow during his prem years with leeds, and was a very very good attacking threat, set pieces, corners general crosses from wide

3. Midfield:

- Hamann/Gravesen v Nolan/Barry - I think we'd see a great battle here, no side would probably dominate the other, but i like the balance of my midfield better. Hamman's discipline and Gravesen's aggression would see us win a lot of the ball, and both are excellent distributors. I think Nolan is the weakest of the 4 players on show and would let Barry down to some extent.I'd have to argue with this one alot, Kevin Nolan is the most under-rated player to have played in the League in my opinion, Gravesen had what 1 good season? went off to Real and showed his true colours, With Barry and Nolan you have 2 player's who can play good football, score goals, tackle, they read the game well, they can run all day long. I'll admit Hamann is the best in the business at breaking up play, but with these 2 he would have his hands very much full. Also my midfield centre partneship offer alot going forward, where as Grav and Hamann for all there qualities don't offer a whole lot.

- McManaman v Wright-Phillips - No contest here, McManaman is one of the great wingers in prem history.Macca is class I can't argue with that, SWP however will cause you defence huge problems with his pace.

- Duff v Pires - Pires probably takes this one on quality alone, but Duff's longevity and undoubted ability makes this a close oneSorry man this one isn't close, Duff had a few seasons where he showed the potential to be world class, was quite good and faded. Pires was just phenomenal winning player of the season and a couple of league titles along the way.

4. Strikers:
    - Keane/Henry v Klinsmann/Rush - Klinsmann and Rush are two legends of the game, but on overall impact on the premiership they don't come close to my two imo. Keane and Henry have between them 284 goals in 547 matches (0.51 per game). Klinsmann and Rush have just 78 goals in 242 matches(0.32 per game) Henry is the best striker to have played in the league, and if it wasn't for Campbell, he'd run my defence ragged I think, although when he drifts out left I don't think he'd get much change from babbel either. Keane is a fairweather player :pac: Klinsmann scored 20 in 41 and rush scored 45 in 130 - both good records and both players very capable of grabbing goals against uncultured swines like Stubbs
    [/QUOTE]

I want to go into their impact on the premiership a little more:

Take the stikeforce for example. There's no doubting the qualities of Rush and Klinsmann. But . . . while Klinsmann shone in his short time in the premiership, his sample size is very small. His impact on the premier league was fleeting.
    Rush was past his best when the premiership came along. Decent scoring record but not as good as my two strikers.
    Henry and Keane have impacted massively on the premiership in varying degrees, complement each other more than your striker duo do and have much bigger sample sizes to go with their superior goals records.

Let's compare the wingers . . . as we've both said Pires beats Duff and Macca beats Wright Phillips. Perhaps we should compare them the other way round.

McManaman v Pires
    McManaman 274 games, 46 goals (in goal ever 6 games), 138 assists (1 assist every 2 games). A goal or assist every 1.4 games

Pires 189 appearances, 62 goals (1 every 3 games), 43 assists (1 every 4.4 games). A goal or assist every 1.8 games.

So McManaman has a better record of scoring and creating goals.
    He also played around 50% more games.
    He also played in an inferior team.

I think it's close but i think McManaman has had a bigger impact than Pires, some may disagree, but the stats and my memories of him back this up

Duff v Wright Phillips

Duff: 250 appearances. 39 goals (1 goal ever 6.4 games), 29 assists (1 every 8.6 games. A goal or assist every 3.6 games

Wright - Philips: 203 appearances. 26 goals (1 every 7.8 games), 26 assists ( 1 every 7.8 games). A goal or assist every 3.9 games.

So Duff has played more games.
    He has a better ratio of goals/assists per game.
    I think he is overall a much classier player, and while they both have had similar career paths, Duff has had a much bigger impact on the premiership. He was able to really make an impact at Chelsea and contributed hugely to 2 prem titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dennis
    There doesn't seem to be any record of assists from 01/02 and earlier so that assist stat for Duff is post World cup and he has made 166 appearances in that time. In 03/04 he got 15 assists in all competitions in 23 starts.

Going off topic now but that season he dislocated his shoulder a couple of times and was given martial arts training to learn a safer fall. Since then when he falls he'll always roll over. This makes him look like he's exaggerating a foul. He's also more likely to go down when you have to think about the fall but it comes as instinct for him now.

Advertisement