Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overview of device management

• 27-02-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

*My question relates to more than the windows os but I will post here because there is no universal operating systems forum*

I am currently working on an assignment about device managment in operating systems. I must give an overview of the techniques used by different operating systems to manage system device, internal or external.

I'm thinking that things like device drivers, interrupts and such will be areas that I will examine. I have tried googling this but results are hit and miss..usually far too advanced for me understand.

Does anybody here have any advice on where to look or what kind of terms I should be throwing at google.

I would also like to say that I am aware of the "Homework Policies" that exist on this site and that my question does relate directly to a college assignment. However, by no means am I looking for a direct answer or solution to any of my questions. Just advice and and some pointers..thanks.

Thanks,
    techguy..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a book for this. Forget the name off hand, but it's a big thick one which doesn't use too much jargon. It's often recommended by lectures in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a book for this. Forget the name off hand, but it's a big thick one which doesn't use too much jargon. It's often recommended by lectures in college.

Cool, do you think you could remember the name of it by any chance??

Thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OS X, Linux, Solaris use UNIX type methods. Though it may be hidden behind a nice GUI. Every device is a file. Then different kinds of serivices and interafces layered on top according to distribution, Kernel revision and type of device.

Windows has different methods depending on the era and type of device. Very complex.

You are going to have to study
    I'm thinking that things like device drivers, interrupts and such will be areas that I will examine. I have tried googling this but results are hit and miss..usually far too advanced for me understand.
    You need to learn about HALs, Block & Character devices, Interupts, Exclusive and shared access, services and device drivers.

You won't find your answers here. If you dodn't understand the Jargon and the Google results you have missed some part of course or need to learn some basics 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

techguy wrote: »
    Hi There,

*My question relates to more than the windows os but I will post here because there is no universal operating systems forum*

I am currently working on an assignment about device managment in operating systems. I must give an overview of the techniques used by different operating systems to manage system device, internal or external.

Does anybody here have any advice on where to look or what kind of terms I should be throwing at google.

I would also like to say that I am aware of the "Homework Policies" that exist on this site and that my question does relate directly to a college assignment. However, by no means am I looking for a direct answer or solution to any of my questions. Just advice and and some pointers..thanks.

Thanks,
    techguy..
    Your lecturer will have recommended a book, or a few to go with the course. Go to the Library and look through it, in my experience you will find exactly what they are looking. Searching the net for stuff like this will take much longer and may not be exactly what they are looking for. I cant remember the name of the book i used, i remember it had all dinosaurs on the cover!

Advertisement