Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuffed Potato Skins

Options
  • 27-02-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any nice recipes for these.

We're having a "Mexican" themed evening tomorrow, doing Enchiladas for the Main course.

Wanted to do Potato Skins for the starter.

I have the basics down of baking them then scooping out the middle part, but was wondering if anyone had a nice filling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey Des - grated cheese and bacon bits - always yummy in potato skins and easy to eat. Or a little minced beef & chilli with a dollop of sour cream. (But if your enchillad's are stuffed in beef & chilli then a little chicken and chilli). I'm now feeling hungry thinking about your potato skins. (And don't forget the margherita's). J

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Just had a thought Des - for an easy starter. Just get a bag of cornchips or tortilla chips, put on plate - cover in chilli sauce, grated cheese - pop in oven or microwave, long enough for cheese to melt, then serve with big dollop of sour cream on top. You can either do small plate individual portions - or one big plate, where everyone helps themselves. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Enchiladas will have chicken pieces in them

The Starter must be vegetarian.

All I'm seeing on websites is "cheese" this and "cheese" that for the potato skins, but seeing as Enchilada is basically a cheese-based thing, I'd rather get away from basing the starter on cheese too.

Sour cream mixed with the potato maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

What about home made salsa, sour cream & jalapenos? Or maybe throw some refried beans in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Spinach mashed with teeeny bit of spring onion mashed back into the potato is gorgeous, not a big spinach fan but will eat them anyday like that! Chives mashed in with a dollop of sour cream on top to add for taste is yum too.
    Friend made garlic and cheese potato stuffing before, could try that, but flavour might clash with the rest of your dishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i did potato skins for a casual house party about two months ago - what I did was the original version (cheese and bacon). I also did a chicken fajita one in which I just stir fried some chicken (diced fairly small) with peppers and an onion, sprinkled on the fajita mix, put the portions into the potato skin with a little sprinkle of cheese, and served with a bowl of sour cream and salsa in the middle of the platter. They went down better than the traditional cheese and bacon.

I am going to try plain chicken and mushroom filling next time.

Any other ideas anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

just mash the scooped out centers mix with chive and sour cream add some shredded cheese and sprinkle with some cooked bacon crumbled. heat until crusty on top. leave off the bacon for vegetarian maybe a bit of garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thrice-baked potato skins, ftw. And personally, I don't think you can ever have too much cheese in one meal!

http://www.ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.ie/2011/09/post-twenty-sixth-in-which-our-heroine.html

You could add chorizo and diced onions & jalapenos to the mash, if you wanted.

Advertisement