Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistered landlord

Options
  • 27-02-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. I moved into a shared house in Maynooth in May 2008. We do not recieve receipts from our landlord. she refuses to give them to us. we have asked several times. she will not accept direct debits. we pay her in cash. she pays the esb for us so thats in her name. we have no proof that we live here! I want to fill out a rent1 for to get tax back but I dont know her adress or her pps number. she wont give it to me. so what do I do? I don't think she's registered with the PRTB asked them to help too but have heard nothing back from them since October 2008. She has at least 5 houses in the area and I really dont know what to do. can anyone shed any light on the situation? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's your duty to shop this landlord! :)
    Plus be sure to claim your rent relief.

You don't need the landlords address and PPS number but revenue prefer it as it helps them match their records.
    But if you don't have it then put their name and your gaff's address. Surely your landlord is paying a mortgage on it so Revenue should be able to match it.

So go ahead and do this. It'll take a few weeks for your claim.
    Hey once you do this, they may start an audit, imagine the tax bill on rent on five houses if it's not declared! :eek:
    That could be thousands and thousands

If you're stuck, call your local office's contact details on www.revenue.ie, they're pretty helpful.

Edit: I just know somebody will come along as say paying cash doesn't mean it's not legit. Hey, maybe this landlord is above board, I realy doubt it though.
    Just pre-empting this, usually somebody says it.

Go claim your rent relief and if your landlord has nothing to hide, well nothing to worry about so

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

thanks a million maikemac. I cant believe she's so stupid as to do this for years on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Believe it .Its going on all the time but im sure revenue will get to all of them sooner than later as their workload in other areas goes down because of the downturn of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

no point in 'reporting them', just apply for the rental tax credit (whether it would benefit you or not) and let the system sort itself out. the longer she leaves it the more penalties the revenue add too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Ste.phen wrote: »
    no point in 'reporting them', just apply for the rental tax credit (whether it would benefit you or not) and let the system sort itself out. the longer she leaves it the more penalties the revenue add too :)

+1 , if landlord is not willing to provide PPS number after repeated requests and she's not paying taxes then she has no to blame but herself for the massive (and quite frankly deserved) bill that will arrive from revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

starflake wrote: »
    we have no proof that we live here!
    Send yourself a registered letter if you really want to, but get some bank statement or phone bills sent to the address.

When she calls for the rent, have your video camera in a corner recording away. Ask for details, wait for her to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Threshold might be able to help as well
    http://www.threshold.ie/

Thanks a million for all the help and advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

shouldnt the op ask the landlord before she takes the room does she give receipts etc

im not registered and i rent 1 room out , nor would i register , slate me all you want , the government has wasted enough of our money why give them more , being screwed every way you look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    shouldnt the op ask the landlord before she takes the room does she give receipts etc

im not registered and i rent 1 room out , nor would i register , slate me all you want , the government has wasted enough of our money why give them more , being screwed every way you look

+1

so much wasted and yet were gonna have to pay for their mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you are letting out a room then you fall under the Rent a room scheme and you can get up to 10k per year before tax is due.
    So it's pretty unlikely you'd be paying anything anyway so what's the problem in declaring it?

What the OP is going through is different, they are a tenant and have some (but not many!) rights with that.

You almost make it seem like it's the OP's fault for not checking about receipts.
    Hey the landlord is most likely claiming mortgage interest relieft on their home and there are other times you can claim for on investment proporties.
    So who could possibly begrudge the OP their misreable rent relief, around 360 euro afaik

not saying its his fault at all , and if the landlord is claiming mortgage tax relief then fair pplay to him , were already paying extorsionate mortgage prices so why not

its other ends that the government is waiting alot on

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

thanks a million maikemac. I cant believe she's so stupid as to do this for years on end!

OP what kinda of rent are you paying and in what area of Dublin? Its possible that the woman gives you a better deal as she is not registered....

Why be so spiteful like some will always advise you on this site for some reason, Think of the new world we are living in, give the woman a break!

I know yrs ago I was in the same situation and told the landlord I was going to apply for some tax back on my rent, He gave me in cash what I would have been entitled to...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

delop wrote: »
    OP what kinda of rent are you paying and in what area of Dublin? Its possible that the woman gives you a better deal as she is not registered....

Why be so spiteful like some will always advise you on this site for some reason, Think of the new world we are living in, give the woman a break!

I know yrs ago I was in the same situation and told the landlord I was going to apply for some tax back on my rent, He gave me in cash what I would have been entitled to...
    This woman, if she is not paying tax, is stealing from the rest of us. All of us will have to pay higher taxes in the next year. Are you saying we should pay even higher taxes simply to give this woman a "break". This is precisely the type of person who derserves to be screwed by the tax system. And by the way she almost certainly will, as the revenue starts going after these landlords.

ZYX wrote: »
    This woman, if she is not paying tax, is stealing from the rest of us. All of us will have to pay higher taxes in the next year. Are you saying we should pay even higher taxes simply to give this woman a "break". This is precisely the type of person who derserves to be screwed by the tax system. And by the way she almost certainly will, as the revenue starts going after these landlords.

how is she stealing ???????

its her house she's entitled to do what she likes

its un-married mothers who get free housing and paying the dole for foreign nationals on it too long or their childrens allowance that has us the way it is not somebody renting a room out

say she loses her house , the government will lose alot more over that

PS not racist , just some countries if u go there and out of work 6 weeks u get cut off , were too lenient , plus regular spongers who have no interest of ever working and i know some who have never worked but still get dole , its them we should stop

ZYX wrote: »

Well I bow to you greater knowledge , I would have commended this woman for creating 5 housing opportunities for the rental market, causing competition and lowering prices in that area, And Id doubt very much if she makes a profit after paying 5 mortgages and dealing with Irish tenants, now lets not get off topic but Irish tenants in my experience often have a bad attitude towards rental property and can neglect its upkeep at times, esp. when moving out.

Basically I guess I mean that these houses that she paid a lot of stamp duty on might just be her 'public sector pension' and this may be a leap, but her 'civic duty' is providing rental accommodation and as I said she did pay that hefty stamp duty on each house...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i rented for a while from an unregistered landlord who wouldnt give us his PPS number, i still claimed my rent relief and nothing happened to him

so go ahead and just fill out the forms, you are entitlted to tax relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Report her to PTRB.

See

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/private_residential_tenancies_board

it is illegal now not to be registered.

We did this with a landlord a few years ago; they "pursued him with an enforcement order" pretty fast.

Heavy fines and/ or prison....

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Well I bow to you greater knowledge , I would have commended this woman for creating 5 housing opportunities for the rental market, causing competition and lowering prices in that area, And Id doubt very much if she makes a profit after paying 5 mortgages and dealing with Irish tenants,
    Basically I guess I mean that these houses that she paid a lot of stamp duty on might just be her 'public sector pension' and this may be a leap, but her 'civic duty' is providing rental accommodation and as I said she did pay that hefty stamp duty on each house...
    This applies to all landlords. They all pay stamp duty, they all provide "housing opportunities for the rental market", they want pensions etc. If you feel that no landlord should pay any tax then that is a different argument. The question here is, should this woman be allowed to make more profit than other landlords by not paying tax?
    To Fatloss08, she is stealing by not paying tax. You can argue about how our tax money is spent but that does not change the fact that everyone must pay their share of tax. People who do not pay tax are effectively stealing and can face court proceedings and eventually jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

Probably somebody has already mentioned this, or maybe I am missing something, but can you not ask her if you could just pay the cash into her bank account? Has she refused that too?

My own landlord doesn't give receipts but I just lodge money into his bank account, that way I have the lodgement stubbs for proof of payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

its her house she's entitled to do what she likes

Buzz! Wrong. Not in this country she's not.

She costs the tax system just about as much as your average welfare sponger (probably more with 5 rental properties) so your argument is fairly nonsensical.

Are you proposing that rental income in this economy be tax free? Or just for those who decide not to pay tax?

What if the person who owns these houses is also some sort of evil non national single mother type? Then should they pay tax on their rental income?

Newaglish wrote: »
    Buzz! Wrong. Not in this country she's not.

She costs the tax system just about as much as your average welfare sponger (probably more with 5 rental properties) so your argument is fairly nonsensical.maybe people would register and pay tax if they where screwed every way or paying for out banana republic government

Are you proposing that rental income in this economy be tax free? Or just for those who decide not to pay tax? why should you haveto pay tax on something thats yours ??? or your paying through the nose for , if the prices where lower then people wouldnt rent rooms out , its mostly last resort that people rent because the cant afford to keep it otherwise

What if the person who owns these houses is also some sort of evil non national single mother type? Then should they pay tax on their rental income?
    single mothers shouldnt get the houses end off regardless of nationality , its better for them to pop one out to get free house etc

the government has made it so its better for you not to work than to work , sure you get a free house , medical card etc while the joe soap like me has to pay full whack

i dont care if its considered stealing , not one bit and wont be registering or payingtax end off

the country is wasting the money they make , why give them more to waste ???

why is our money being used to help banks to screw us again , were paying to be screwed :)

off topic rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No, the landperson is legally obliged to give receipts and use a rent book.
    The OP should claim their rent relief. why would you pay more tax to allow someone else pay less? Why? because you are a mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

No, the landperson is legally obliged to give receipts and use a rent book.
    The OP should claim their rent relief. why would you pay more tax to allow someone else pay less? Why? because you are a mug.

only obliged if he/she is registered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Acoustic wrote: »
    only obliged if he/she is registered
    That's a filthy lie. I think you should check to see if your pants are on fire.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/landlords_rights_and_obligations

Only doesn't apply in the case where the 'landlord' is letting a room in a property they themselves are living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Fill in the forms and leave the landlord details blank. Add a note to say she refuses to give you her details. Simply fill in as much as you can and send it off. Do the same for your PRTB registration. Look after yourself and forget about her. None of this will affect her tax. The systems are not integrated. You can be unregistered and still pay your tax, they're not connected in any way. So assume she is paying her tax, and simply send your forms off. You'll get your rent relief and the PRTB will track her down for her details.

Edit: Not sure if you need the receipts to claim rent relief? She is breaking the law by not giving you the rent book on request. If you need it to claim rent relief then I'd go to the Guards and report it.

Hi guys,

Really angry this evening. My partner just met up with the land lord to hand over 1300euros for the months rent. He asked her one final time for a receipt or a pps number or the option of paying directly into her bank account. she refused all 3 point blank. she actually said that rent prices were going up everywhere!! When asked for her pps number she said she didnt know what he was talking about. She asked him why we needed to get tax back wasn't the rent cheap enough. I'm so angry and upset by this. we're just going to fill in the forms and send them off and get our asses out of there when the lease is up

single mothers shouldnt get the houses end off regardless of nationality , its better for them to pop one out to get free house etc

the government has made it so its better for you not to work than to work , sure you get a free house , medical card etc while the joe soap like me has to pay full whack

i dont care if its considered stealing , not one bit and wont be registering or payingtax end off

the country is wasting the money they make , why give them more to waste ???

why is our money being used to help banks to screw us again , were paying to be screwed :)

off topic rant over

I'm not a single mother and I'm from Kilkenny??!

As I said in my original post We are living in Maynooth, co. Kildare and we pay 1300 euro a month. I'm not being in the slightest bit spiteful. I work full time and pay taxes. I am entitled to rent relief. Simple as, no spite involved.

• Advertisement

we pay 1300 euro a month.

My Bad, Sorry, 1300 p/m YIKES it must have 100 bathrooms! She is winding you up if she says rent is going up, Tell her you will take your chances in the open market...

Advertisement