Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to be Great Dane owner

Options
  • 27-02-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Myself and my fiancé are thinking of getting a great Dane as we would dearly love one of these fantastic animals. We are moving in the next few months to a regular size 3 bedroom house with a regular size back yard. Is it true that only owners of massive houses with back yards the size equivalent of a field can only own Great Danes? Or would the dog be happy with a regular house and yard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Myself and my fiancé are thinking of getting a great Dane as we would dearly love one of these fantastic animals. We are moving in the next few months to a regular size 3 bedroom house with a regular size back yard. Is it true that only owners of massive houses with back yards the size equivalent of a field can only own Great Danes? Or would the dog be happy with a regular house and yard?

If you are looking at getting a Dane, then you should really speak to some other Dane owners first. If anything they would need less space than smaller dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greatdane

a great dane should not be kept outside in the yard unless you have a really comfortable and warm kennel / shelter,

They need to be with their family in the house when you are there.

Once walked danes are very sleepy and you will be amazed at the little space they will fit on...
    ITs funny to see mine trying to fit on a full sofa of people :)
    Danes love comfort and people.

And daily walks are a must.

In a small house Danes are fine , ive never had a problem with them knocking stuff over even when they are playing...
    n1013350659_96345_5553.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Deadly by Design I have PM'd you.

Great Dane....love the photo!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

If you are interested in getting a dane have a look at this link
    www.irishdanerescue.com/homesneeded.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If you're a fan of big dogs, you could consider rescuing a greyhound? They don't need a whole lot of space, and will sleep all afternoon if you let them!

There are a huge number of these lovable dogs in shelters and rescues around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greatdane

yes please consider an adoption...it would be great to see them get a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Your dane will want to be in the same square foot of space as you so a smaller house and yard aren't a problem. As already said, they are an indoor dog and left outside alone, will get very lonely and frustrated and thats bad news for them and you.

An older adopted dog might suit you very well. Dane puppies aren't the easiest to raise so one that has already gone through that stage could be just the thing for you. Also, please bear in mind that EVERYTHING is more expensive for a giant breed dog and they do tend to have a shorter lifespan than smaller breeds.

If you're not put off by the downsides, the joys of living with a Dane are many. I'd never be without one. They are far and away my very favourite breed and have been since I got my first one more than 15 years ago.

Good Luck!

Advertisement