Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APT analogue immersion timers - WTF?

• 27-02-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

I have 3 of these babies for my central heating - main, living and sleeping zones. Two years after installation, two of them have stopped working (clock doesn't operate any more). I bought replacements - like for like - for 37 Euro each :eek: and asked the guy how long should I get out of them. He said two years. I thought he was joking, then an electrician told me the same, and added that the digital ones are worse!

THEN, having fitted the two new ones, one of them doesn't work (clock doesn't operate).

THEN when I took out the new broken one to bring it back, I slipped back on one of the original duds (just to blank off the bare live wires), and now the clock is working on that one!!!

:confused:

So one of the ones I should have thrown out is now working perfectly again, though for how long, who knows. This just seems like potentially a ridiculous ongoing expense ....

Before someone suggests it, I have considered keeping the two zone timers constantly ON and just using the timer for the main one, and if they continue to fail on me then I will fall back on this resolution ....

Just wanted to get this off my chest, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Manuel wrote: »
    I have 3 of these babies for my central heating - main, living and sleeping zones. Two years after installation, two of them have stopped working (clock doesn't operate any more). I bought replacements - like for like - for 37 Euro each :eek: and asked the guy how long should I get out of them. He said two years. I thought he was joking, then an electrician told me the same, and added that the digital ones are worse!

THEN, having fitted the two new ones, one of them doesn't work (clock doesn't operate).

THEN when I took out the new broken one to bring it back, I slipped back on one of the original duds (just to blank off the bare live wires), and now the clock is working on that one!!!

:confused:

So one of the ones I should have thrown out is now working perfectly again, though for how long, who knows. This just seems like potentially a ridiculous ongoing expense ....

Before someone suggests it, I have considered keeping the two zone timers constantly ON and just using the timer for the main one, and if they continue to fail on me then I will fall back on this resolution ....

Just wanted to get this off my chest, thanks!
    they're supposed to be decent quality but i've replaced loads(foc for customers) the last few years where the timing stops.gonna stop using them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

apt give a 2 year warrenty, the clock should last longer then that though.
    we get a few back now and then but we sell hundreds of them a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Manuel, change the 3 individual clocks for one digital 3 channel clock.
    Any analogue clock is a mechanical device so subject to wear and tear.
    The 3 channel clock will look smarter and allow to program a 5/2 day split.
    I agree with you about the apt immersion timer, unfortunately I don't know of any other device for timeswitching an immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I just replaced my failed APT with a Flash Immermat. difference of around €8 in price.
    I will let you know how it lasts in a few years.

Advertisement