Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

register to vote

Options
  • 27-02-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where we can register to vote for the EU election? I'm I as a non national aloud to vot in the local one aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There's some info here:
    http://www.registertovote.ie/index.php?view=where-to-register-to-vote

Who can Vote / Citizenship
    • In order to vote you must be at least 18 years of age on the day the register comes into force (15 February).
    • Irish citizens can vote in every election and referenda.
    • British citizens may vote at General, European and Local Elections.
    • Other EU citizens may vote at European and Local Elections.
    • Non – EU citizens can vote at Local Elections only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

thank you!! we got the form and it's on the way. Cant believe Mrs.T is aloud to vote for the generaland I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It used to get me too...someone put me on the register without asking me:eek:...got my date of birth and nationality wrong.
    I was very put out that I couldn't vote....got it sorted now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

would be well miffed if i lost my vote, glad you got it sorted magnumlady, on the subject of who can vote for what, i assume only irish citizens can vote for the irish president

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

From Wikipedia...

Only Irish citizens, who must be at least eighteen years of age, may vote in the election of the President.

• Advertisement

ha at least mrs T is not alloud to vote for that!! I'm still allowed to vote for the dutch goverment even though I dont live there anymore, strange. Could vote for something nobody likes just to f*ck them up!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

irish-stew wrote: »
    would be well miffed if i lost my vote, glad you got it sorted magnumlady, on the subject of who can vote for what, i assume only irish citizens can vote for the irish president

As Magnum Lady already pointed out...

Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum.
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections.
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections.
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only.

To be eligible to be included on the Register of Electors, you must:

- be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February).
    - have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.

As Magnum Lady already pointed out...

Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum.
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections.
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections.
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only.

To be eligible to be included on the Register of Electors, you must:

- be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February).
    - have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.

thanks, we are in ireland over 3 years now and we are well over 18!;)

I really find the EU very important myself since they gain more and more power. The Dail is like house of commons in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

thanks, we are in ireland over 3 years now and we are well over 18!;)

I really find the EU very important myself since they gain more and more power. The Dail is like house of commons in the UK?

Dáil Éireann is the lower house of the parliament (Oireachtas). Its powers are very similar to those of the House of Commons.

Dáil Éireann is the lower house of the parliament (Oireachtas). Its powers are very similar to those of the House of Commons.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement