Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hows the irish rep in oz?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

just wondering do people think there is too many bad irish heading over there?the amount of people i know from home gone over who are total apes with beer/not openminded makes me feel its not a nice place to go anymore.im considering maybe trying a 2/3month trip but im feeling i wont get away from irish over there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

What do you mean by
    bad irish

Oz is a big enough place that you never need meet people if you don't want to .

Its more the frame of mind you are going over with .

Getting into the frame of mind that you are going to have an adventure and a trip of a life time and you will have a great time.

If we afarid to go some where because there maybe some types of people there , we'd never go any where

Go and enjoy your self .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would not worry , with the job situation tightening they will arrive stay in Bondi/St Kilda get drunk for a while get no work and fly home.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

just wondering do people think there is too many bad irish heading over there?the amount of people i know from home gone over who are total apes with beer/not openminded makes me feel its not a nice place to go anymore.im considering maybe trying a 2/3month trip but im feeling i wont get away from irish over there

Just stay away from irish bars and Bondi in Sydney and St. Kilda in Melbourne. Actaully I live in St. Kilda, and I can avoid them. If you want to avoid them it's pretty easy.

But yes there are a large amount of Irish who just hang out together in Irish bars getting drunk 5 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Some of the are just rediculous. Adopts thick Cork accent and 'I after drinking for deh last 16 day in a row an I goin ta keep goin'

I heard of one lad who got scurvy becuase all he ate was noodles. Disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I disagree with the whole stay away from Irish bars thing
    stay away from sh*t hole Irish bars, yeah, but not all bars are like that.

some are pretty good, welcome inn in rozelle is a great place, really good food, monday night trivia, great beer garden

Trinity in surry hills - another one
    Kelly's in newtown is a alternative irish bar (it is newtown)

not all bars are the 24hr drink-a-ton attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

my favourite one was while watching the rugby at the weekend against england from a chap in a rugby shirt - "Get dem foreign b**tards outta that stadium(croke park)" - cringe. Just keep them locked up in the irish bars and they won't hurt anyone.

Haven't had any bad experiences or comments to my face about irish, but stuff like people leaving jobs without telling their boss is really starting to hit the non-resident ozzy here. So if you're on your hols then just enjoy yourself,its about how you get on with other people yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

One or two knackers from dublin in briddies the other night for the match getting aggressive and **** really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Unless you want to, you won't meet any Irish here. Actually, you're more likely to bump into more Sudanese and Iraqis than you are your own countrymen and women.

Ditto re the other comments about bars. They call it County Bondi for a very unflattering reason.

But if you're an adventurer, you'll be just fine. Alas, if you are a Mammy's girl, ringing home every two seconds, constantly on the internet, whinging about the weather and too afraid to eat a meat pie, then you're in trouble.

Had a girl stay with me for two weeks and that's all she did. I was ready to throw her out the window.

Tea Leaf wrote: »
    Unless you want to, you won't meet any Irish here. Actually, you're more likely to bump into more Sudanese and Iraqis than you are your own countrymen and women.

Ditto re the other comments about bars. They call it County Bondi for a very unflattering reason.

But if you're an adventurer, you'll be just fine. Alas, if you are a Mammy's girl, ringing home every two seconds, constantly on the internet, whinging about the weather and too afraid to eat a meat pie, then you're in trouble.

Had a girl stay with me for two weeks and that's all she did. I was ready to throw her out the window.

I bump into Irish all the time, but they are all nice and polite chances are they are one of you F**kers :p

Then again I dont spend time in bars

24 Carlton draught stubbies = $32
    24 Carlton Pots = 76.8 (approx)

I'm that cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

You pay $32 for a carton of Carlton draught?
    You're getting ripped off, my friend.
    I pay $28 here.
    Now that's cheap :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you live in or around a city it's (unfortunately) impossible to avoid the Irish backpacker. Personally I have no real interest in associating with them as if I wanted to hang around with Irish people I'd still be at home.

The whole Irish pub scene really pisses me off as it's just so narrow minded. Each to their own and all that but it's very sad imo.

You pay $32 for a carton of Carlton draught?
    You're getting ripped off, my friend.
    I pay $28 here.
    Now that's cheap :p

are you counting the deposit on each bottle ???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Bondi is a sh1t hole..... I can not understand why Irish people still go there.

over 100 years ago it was actually a slum and where only the very poor could only afford to live... most people who lived there were Irish or Jewish immigraints.

The Jews are still there beacuse they still own most of the properties there and rent them out to the Paddies who think its a cool place to live, bull****

Why would you want to pay $700 for a 3 bedroom condemed unit in Bondi when you can live in a 3BR town house with outdoor roof swimming pool and harbour view on Bennelong road Olympic park for the same money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Why would you want to pay $700 for a 3 bedroom condemed unit in Bondi when you can live in a 3BR town house with outdoor roof swimming pool and harbour view on Bennelong road Olympic park for the same money?

Not that I live in Bondi or anything....but maybe as it's on the beach, has some cool bars and restaurants, and isn't a soulless industrial wasteland like homebush

Derek B wrote: »
    Not that I live in Bondi or anything....but maybe as it's on the beach, has some cool bars and restaurants, and isn't a soulless industrial wasteland like homebush

Well at least I have somewhere to park my Boat without being pinched.......and Doyle's in Watson's Bay is still pretty cool bar and its only 20 mins cruise when I get my 90 Horses going. So its not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well at least I have somewhere to park my Boat without being pinched.......and Doyle's in Watson's Bay is still pretty cool bar and its only 20 mins cruise when I get my 90 Horses going. So its not all bad.

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

its remarkably easy...even in sydney...to get away from irish, the big clue is:

DONT.LIVE.IN.BONDI.

i live in surry hills, great place to live, my mates live in glebe, also cool, few irish around there though. im a city boy though, always have been. i love to surf but bondi is up with the worst places to surf in oz coz of crowds...most of the eastern beaches not much better.plus i get a nose bleed going that far east.

found myself in the kings cross hotel to watch rugby match the other day(well morning, 4.30 here)...two irish lads beside me...one spent most of the time shouting out "ENGLISH C u next TUESDAYS", the other guy glaring/trying to start on any english people nearby, and also some ozzies he mistook for english. nuff said. needed a number of showers when i got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Im out here 3 weeks now and havent meet many Irish apart from those over here for a year working in hostels and stuff. Mostly Canadians,Danes,Dutch and English going the backpacker journey on the East Coast. Going out wise Im finding drink very expensive so you would be a fool to waste your money on booze when its not much cheaper than at home. Happy hours from 5-6 are a joke!

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Im out here 3 weeks now and havent meet many Irish apart from those over here for a year working in hostels and stuff. Mostly Canadians,Danes,Dutch and English going the backpacker journey on the East Coast. Going out wise Im finding drink very expensive so you would be a fool to waste your money on booze when its not much cheaper than at home. Happy hours from 5-6 are a joke!

Depends on where you drink.....

In the city its a standard $5+ for a schooner but my usual it $3.90 and if you go to an RSL/Leagues club approx $2.90/$3.10.

If you go to all the touristy pubs it is going be more expensive than ordinary pubs back home I know Aussies visited Dublin last year and paid $12/$14 for a Pint stout in Temple bar and its only $7 in Sydney.

ps. If you go to hyde park in Sydney on Sunday 15th you will probably see exactly how many Irish there actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

TonyD79 wrote: »

Where are you going for this drink? at home it's what 4-5euro a pint, are you paying $8-10 a pint??

Last night my local was $6.50 a pint of bulmers, $6 for beer, which is 3euro.

as mentioned backpacker places can be pricey. Happy hours in city are after work - which would bring more business than any social times.
    what is the joke?

• Advertisement
Advertisement