Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices of eye glasses?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I just got approval from the dept. of social welfare for a free glasses eye test, so off I went merrily to my optician which I've used for contact lenses. They duly did the test, and then we started looking at frames.

Now the bottom line is for really nice Ray Ban frames, the price quoted came to a total of 260 euro, or even 330 euro if I go for a special protective coating.

Do these prices sound normal? I haven't bought glasses in about 10 years so I've no idea. Of course they're designer frames and I'm sure I could get cheaper ones, but I'm just wondering if the price makes sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Totally in line with current prices. Mine were over €500. If you go for designer frames you'll pay well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I got my glasses last month from www.goggles4u.com
    they cost me 34eur and were delivered in 10 days. They are rimmless and have precoat, UV coating on the lens etc and would normally cost about 500eur in an optianiance here. The quality of them is good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I bought 2 pairs (buy one get one free - frames - 189 range) , everyday + sunglasses fcuk and missoni (i think:p) frames, lenses, thinning of lenses, and polaroid (for the sunglasses) came to a total of 368 in specsavers. (without the test)

If I were you I'd shop around ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

flowerific wrote: »
    I got my glasses last month from www.goggles4u.com
    they cost me 34eur and were delivered in 10 days. They are rimmless and have precoat, UV coating on the lens etc and would normally cost about 500eur in an optianiance here. The quality of them is good aswell

How can you get them sized when purchasing on-line and how is the graduating for varifocals or even bi-focals done? Are they designer frames? I'll bet they wern't Raybans!

I bought some for rough wear for €80 euro which match tint, varifocal etc on my good pair so prices vary depending on frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Two issues here:

1) You're not shopping around. Independent opticians tend to be a bit more pricey for some items.

2) You're choosing to buy one of the more expensive major name designer brands.

If you're worried about your money go to a major chain optician and pick out a non designer frame. You'll get a equally good pair of glasses for far less money and will probably get a second pair free.

TBH, this isn't a consumer issue, it's laziness...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

I think the Social Welfare only covers the test and a portion of the cost of the glasses; you're free to pick whatever glasses you want....

Regarding the buy one get one free or specs from t'Internet. You really do get what you pay for. I did some time in an opticians, and while most of the designer/expensive ones were repairable or fixable, a lot of the cheaper stuff was just that - cheap (and sometimes nasty) and frequently broke when we'd try repairs.

TBH I think it's worthwhile spending money on decent frames, I have several pairs that have lasted a lot of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Well the op hasn't bought glasses for 10 years so it's unfair to expect anyone to be up to date and thoroughly knowledgeable.

Consider do you want to buy a decent pair which will last you a couple of years (afaik on the med card you can only get tested every 2 years)
    if so a good pair of quality, classic designer frames are ideal.

if you want to change frames often I'd go with chain stores, I find certain styles, particularly coloured metal can tarnish quick so watch out for that.

And depending on your prescription/coating etc the lenses can work out as dear or more expensive than the frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I got new glasses last November and I went to Spectacle Parade Opticians. I love my new glasses and the price was about €250. I got anti-glare something or other on the lenses.

I know they are doing a 25% sale at the moment - a girl at work just got glasses there. They also have vouchers for €50 if the sale is not still on, if anyone wants a voucher you can PM me. The optician in there is really good and explains what she's doing and tells you about the current health of your eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

walzer wrote: »
    I just got approval from the dept. of social welfare for a free glasses eye test, so off I went merrily to my optician which I've used for contact lenses. They duly did the test, and then we started looking at frames.

Now the bottom line is for really nice Ray Ban frames, the price quoted came to a total of 260 euro, or even 330 euro if I go for a special protective coating.

Do these prices sound normal? I haven't bought glasses in about 10 years so I've no idea. Of course they're designer frames and I'm sure I could get cheaper ones, but I'm just wondering if the price makes sense.

I get mine from here only US$8 per pair
    http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?gclid=CMDJ2qn6_JgCFRSRZgodvzy5ng

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

How can you get them sized when purchasing on-line and how is the graduating for varifocals or even bi-focals done? Are they designer frames? I'll bet they wern't Raybans!

I bought some for rough wear for €80 euro which match tint, varifocal etc on my good pair so prices vary depending on frames.

It shows you how to size them on the site. you would have the check out the site yourself re the other questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

Thanks guys, I didn't think I'd get this many replies!

I'm aware that just like everything else there will be a huge range of prices, and more expensive is not necessarily better.

However I do like the idea of designer frames and I personally think that the quality is better. What I wanted to know is whether this price was normal for designer frames plus lenses with full coating, and it looks like it is. By Irish standards at least.

I'll shop around town a bit this weekend, and then I'll try to bargain them down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Frames" is where the opticians' big profits come from, whether designer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

+1 on goggles4u.com very good quality and a great price, you can buy 3 - 4 pairs and have a bit of variety.

Specsavers is just a total ripoff and all they do is take your prescription and send off the same information to a lab in the UK that you can send to goggles4u yourself.

I.e. fax them your specsavers prescription.

Advertisement