Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy duck livers in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Does anyone know where I can buy duck livers (for terrine de foie gras) in Dublin?

I think the butchers mostly sell chicken liver if any at all.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

you'd need fresh foie gras, and i've not seen anyone source it here. if you're just looking for ordinary duck livers to do an ordinary liver pate or terrine, then i'm sure a lot of butchers could source it for you (or most of the butchers who sell duck could anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 foodiefanatic

Hi shrapnel222
    Thanks for your reply.

Is there any difference in 'fresh foie gras de canard' and ordinary duck livers?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Hi shrapnel222
    Thanks for your reply.

Is there any difference in 'fresh foie gras de canard' and ordinary duck livers?

Thanks.

foie gras is basically the hyper atrophied liver of a duck which has been force fed vast amounts of food during the course of its life. it weights a pound or two compared to an ordinary duck liver which probably weights an ounce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You can get foie gras in Harvey Nicks, though other butchers might be able to order it in (I haven't tried mine for it, but I'd say they probably could).

Foie gras is very different from normal duck liver. Different flavour, texture, and appearance, and some people who are okay with eating meat consider foie gras ethically wrong (silly Irish laws mean it's illegal to make foie gras here, as it's considered animal cruelty, but luckily we can still import it from France where the law is very different; jail time for people selling "foie gras" that isn't made properly).

All that said, if you buy foie gras entier (whole foie gras) from Harvey Nicks, you're making a sow's ear out of a silk purse if you make a terrine out of it, because they'll have the better stuff. Foie gras entier tends to be chosen from the best and it's an utter waste to make a terrine out of such great liver. Just very lightly fry it and eat it. Make terrine's out of less good foie gras.

(Also, try the goose stuff; even better than the duck).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

where would you buy Foie Gras (whole) in south dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread is way too old to revive so I'm closing it.

Nowadays queries about a specific region are posted in the relevant regional forum, so I suggest that you start a thread in the South County Dublin forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement