Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Peace

Options
  • 27-02-2009 5:34pm

I loved his book The Damned Utd and have seen good reviews of his other books,1974,1977,1980 and 1983.So I have ordered 1974 and will give it a go.Channel 4 are showing an adaptation of 74,77 and 80 soon called Red Riding.
    Anybody else here read any of his books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I'm currently half way through 1977, having read 1974 last week. 1974 was raw: a typical first novel, some things worked, some didn't, but overall, Peace is an excellent novelist. Take it slow though, his books are not pot-boilers. Looking forward to the C4 adaptation. Re. the Damned Utd: as a friend said to me: "it's a novel and it's about football, what more could a man want?"

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I read Tokyo Year Zero recently which I really hated. It was incredibly bleak.
    don't think I'll be going back to any of his detective novels, damned united sounds great though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Read The Damned United. An excellent book but is it the real Brian Clough? Giles isn't painted in a good light and in fact sounds like a terrible character. Also read 1974 and 1977. Of the two I thought 1977 the better. Not for the faint of heart.

Cant wait for the film of The Damned United. Roll on Clough!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I seem to recall Giles being very unhappy about his depiction in the book; the link I've added said he sued and will not be depicted in the movie, but reading the cast list , it appears he is, Irish actor Peter McDonald was cast in the role.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-512964/Vote-Gerrard-Nationwide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I see the film The Damned United is out next week. As a Leeds fan since 1970 I remember this episode well. I'm in two minds as to whether I should go to see it. I've read the book but I also know that John Giles has no time for it. What do other Leeds fans think ? Will you go to see the film or not ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i read the book, the damned united, i cant say i particularly enjoyed it.
    the first say 40/50 pages i loved it, its intensitity was great but found it tough going when it turned out the whole book was so intense.
    I think i will go see the film though.
    the thing to remember about both the book and the film is that they are works of fiction based on fact, so they are not exactly true.

Advertisement