Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2manystickies

Options
  • 27-02-2009 5:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Looking at the boards, there are lots of stickies. In some cases even on a large monitor you have to scroll down to see real posts.
    MCD could be put at the top level, and so could basic housekeeping ones.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I agree, but there alot of "you been told now enjoy ze banzor" moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not so much that people ever read them, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Something I've been thinking about recently. In some of my forums I'm thinking of a single sticky for "charter and other useful stuff". Post one would be the charter. Post two would contain links to threads on all the other stuff. So in laptops (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529) post two would link to the "General Info", "Places to get your laptop repaired" and "How to get help here" threads (although I'd probably update those threads or add some more). These threads wouldn't be stickied. I think it would help clean the place up a little and it would also free up the first page for actual threads.

It'll take a bit of effort so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Also I would prefer to discuss it with my co-mods there before I did anything like that.

When I get a b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That'd be a good idea :)
    Post one could contain a Contents post with links to each other post.

eg.
    Post 1 wrote:
    Forum Charter (link to forum charter)
    Post 2 wrote:
    Laptop Info (link to post with info about your laptop, where to get fixed etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Something I've been thinking about recently. In some of my forums I'm thinking of a single sticky for "charter and other useful stuff". Post one would be the charter. Post two would contain links to threads on all the other stuff. So in laptops (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529) post two would link to the "General Info", "Places to get your laptop repaired" and "How to get help here" threads (although I'd probably update those threads or add some more). These threads wouldn't be stickied. I think it would help clean the place up a little and it would also free up the first page for actual threads.

It'll take a bit of effort so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Also I would prefer to discuss it with my co-mods there before I did anything like that.

When I get a b
    Something like this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sherifu wrote: »
    Something like this?
    Kinda but the first post would have the charter in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It would be great for any busy forums to only have 2-3 stickies.

Sherifu wrote: »
    It would be great for any busy forums to only have 2-3 stickies.
    Preferably as many forums as possible should have as few stickies as possible. It means less scrolling (especially when you're on a netbook) and less threads going on to another page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I like these kinda threads.they tidy up the forum,and can keep good threads from being lost in time.
    More mega info threads i say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

I suggest they UNTIDY the threads.
    Imagine if Nerin had all his links in a list rather than across his signature.
    Then of course someone with 20 links in a sig might just be into overload????

Advertisement