Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.ratemyteachers.com website

Options
  • 27-02-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this website? You have to register and have the choice of two accounts: a free one where you can read the first three reviews or a subscription one where you have open access to all reviews.

I registered for the free one but the reviews have mysteriously disappeared for all teachers in a particular school!

Anyone had similar problems?

Are there any other websites which provide similar details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The website is full of lies that disgruntled students post about their teachers.

It very rarely features the truth.

Dont discount it completely, but take everything you read with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm sure there are posts from disgruntled students but from reading the reviews of teachers that I had when I was a pupil plus my own children's teachers the reviews for the most part are as I and my children experienced and that applies to both the good and negative reviews, most of which were good.

It's 27 years since I did my Leaving Cert and I still have fond memories of most of my teachers who had a very positive effect on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm sure there are posts from disgruntled students but from reading the reviews of teachers that I had when I was a pupil plus my own children's teachers the reviews for the most part are as I and my children experienced and that applies to both the good and negative reviews, most of which were good.

It's 27 years since I did my Leaving Cert and I still have fond memories of most of my teachers who had a very positive effect on my life.

Sorry I should have phrased that better, disgruntled is alright if the teacher is shíte, but if its just because the students acts up and gets thrown out of class, and then decides to post on that site saying the person cant teacher. (That's what Ive seen with my school anyway, and Id say it happens with others).

Also I really don't get why there's a rating for "Easiness", does that really matter? And why does it affect the teachers average score?

Looking at the Junior School section of my school, there's comments "She's a mean woman".....I wonder what age the person who posted that is. A teacher I had "soundish !!!!dosent care if u hav ur fone" I mean seriously, there should be some sort of idiot filter for the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As well as disgruntled students posting reviews, there are teachers who do reviews of themselves and their colleagues and give themselves "glowing" reviews. A family member is a teacher and said that this happens a lot.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used to be a moderator on that site, and TBH, I'd take the comments with a pinch of salt. The amount of them that were obviously from the same student about one particular teacher was unreal. One teacher in my old school particularly used to get quite a bashing. She was very strict but was a very good teacher. I stepped down because there was too much crap getting through and people were being allowed to post up very personal inappropriate comments about teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Toots85 wrote: »
    I used to be a moderator on that site, and TBH, I'd take the comments with a pinch of salt. The amount of them that were obviously from the same student about one particular teacher was unreal. One teacher in my old school particularly used to get quite a bashing. She was very strict but was a very good teacher. I stepped down because there was too much crap getting through and people were being allowed to post up very personal inappropriate comments about teachers.

As was I....

It was that sort of comment and rating you were supposed to delete :p

Seriously though, you're dealing with a huge range of people from children to adults in terms of maturity. If the ratings are quite unanimous about a teacher who has students from 12-19 well... Maybe pay attention to the ratings, but if they vary wildly, it probably means they're either a very bad teacher that panders to the wishes of the lazy or a good teacher that doesn't allow slacking and the mixed reviews stem from the mixed perspectives of students.

What I always noticed was, the ratings that had a well thought out comment with them tended to reflect very accurately my own opinion of the teacher - opinions that had been formed after 6 years in the school and at a point where I was very interested in the actual teaching ability of the teacher.
    So tbh, I'd select which numbers you chose to pay attention to on the basis of the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i told the truth on it when i rated me teachers. Some where strict but great teachers other where strict just cos they could be and where crap teachers. There is good and bad in every job

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

shockingly disgraceful website

imagine if the teachers got together and set up a website called "rate my pupil"

i have a female female who used to teach in an all boys school. they things they said about her were so crude and horrible she left, she felt unsafe there

Advertisement