Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change the default IE homepage for all users on a computer?

• 27-02-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm setting up terminal services on a Windows 2003 server.

Any user who logs in and launches IE, I want them to be brought to a certain homepage.

Does anyone know how I can change the default IE homepage for all users on a computer?

I know how to do this for one user, but not every user...

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can do it with active directory

google
    Internet Explorer Administration Kit and Group Policy in IE7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

Copy the file to the netlogon directory
    then edit your logon script and add the line
    rem call wallpaper.cmd

creat a wallpaper.cmd file with the below code edit the filename.jpg and the domain controllers name.

echo F|xcopy "\\domaincontroller\NETLOGON\filename.jpg" "c:\windows\filename.jpg" /y

Just remember this is case sensitive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jaoibh wrote:
    Copy the file to the netlogon directory
    then edit your logon script and add the line
    rem call wallpaper.cmd

creat a wallpaper.cmd file with the below code edit the filename.jpg and the domain controllers name.

echo F|xcopy "\\domaincontroller\NETLOGON\filename.jpg" "c:\windows\filename.jpg" /y

Just remember this is case sensitive
    :confused::confused:

that copies a file , which you could use as wallpaper , perhaps
    maybe use %logonserver%\ instead of \\domaincontroller\
    and command prompt in windows isn't case sensitive

reg key for homepage ,
    put it in the startup folder in all users profile

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Start Page"="http://www.boards.ie/"

you could use reg.exe to import it too

wmi script here too if you want to go down that path
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1108.mspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

Hey

your absolutely right I didnt type in the rest of it I was in the middle of building a DR project

If you open your default domain policy and go to User configuration - Administrative templates - Desktop - Active desktop and Active desktop wallpaper and enable that policy and set it to C:\windows\filename.jpg

Thats the rest of the fix sorry I didnt read it before posting earlier

I can give screen shots if you need them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did the following and it worked fine:
    In the run box type gpedit.msc
    then click
    user configuration then
    windows settings then
    Internet Explorer Maintenance then
    URLs then
    Important URLs

This box allows you to select a custom start page that will open when a user starts IE.

Advertisement