Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Mitchell gives Mary Wilson a roasting.

• 27-02-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to DriveTime there. Mary Wilson threw a weighted question to Gay Mitchell, he lost the head with her and started asking her how much she earned. She wasnt expecting that.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heh! Heard that and no she wasn't ready for it was she?

I could understand Mitchells annoyance to a degree, the Montrose Marquee names are very well paid and some have shown themselves distinctly selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Just listening to DriveTime there. Mary Wilson threw a weighted question to Gay Mitchell, he lost the head with her and started asking her how much she earned. She wasnt expecting that.....

Fair play Gaybo! Unlike some of the RTE biggies, politicians pay is in the public domain and is there to be seen so it's just desserts she got stung.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Yeah ..Mitchell was distinctly annoyed...went front in to Wilson..who attempted to diffuse the situation...The Mitch was having none of it an got i n a few heavy hits to the schoolmarms gusset.

Go the Mitch.!!!.pity a few of the Rulers would not display similar spunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I just saw the title and hoped for more:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I just saw the title and hoped for more:(

Lucky for Mary Wilson Gay Mitchell isn't a Premiership footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I heard this on Friday evening, and by golly he gave her a lashing. I'm not usually one to stand up for politicians, but I'm tired of RTE presenters who always have to get the cynical dig in at every question, and Mary Wilson is high up there among them.

Funny that it didn't find its way onto Playback on Saturday morning. It was certainly my standout radio highlight of the week... or could RTE - shock! horror! - be protecting its own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Fair play to Mitchell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

She asked him how much he would be giving up. Seemed like a simple and fair question to ask. She was just doing her job.

He seems to be a very irritable man whenever he's interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ateam wrote: »
    She asked him how much he would be giving up. Seemed like a simple and fair question to ask. She was just doing her job.

Indeed she was,but in these times, discerning people are getting more and more irritated by grossly overpaid presenters in RTE,asking questions like that,especially when their taxes are keeping them there.

I would be quite irritable myself if in the same position as Mr Mitchell,and that is not my nature:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ateam wrote: »

He seemed to feel that she was portraying it as a cynical gesture, or as opportunist, and I got that impression from her intro to the subject as well. She should have said what she was being paid, it's in the public domain for anybody who wishes to find out about it anyway. Takes from her credibility that she wouldnt answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

He seemed to feel that she was portraying it as a cynical gesture, or as opportunist, and I got that impression from her intro to the subject as well. She should have said what she was being paid, it's in the public domain for anybody who wishes to find out about it anyway. Takes from her credibility that she wouldnt answer it.

He's frequently annoyed with radio presenters whenever he's interviewed. This wasn't an isolated incident. He needs to calm down a bit and realise that journalists do need to ask questions despite their earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Missed this one however I reckon Mary Wilson is a reporter trying to be a presenter, a bit like the long-winded Richard Downes on Morning Ireland. I find her irksome at best and really miss the real talent that is Rachael English, on Drivetime. Wilson hasn't learnt to hold her tongue and regularly cuts across even mild-mannered interviewees. Very few can skewer interviewees effectively in the way Olivia O'Leary used to do or Paxman, Sean O'Rourke or Miriam O'Callaghan can and she ain't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Rachel English, Aine Lawlor, Olivia O Leary are serious, intelligent and interesting broadcasters.Mary Wilson is dull as ditchwater in comparison.I find her interviewing technique tedious predictable and whats more ,she has no charm whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

p2249512u80.jpg

Why whenever i see the name Mary Wilson in a thread do I think of a former Supreme ?

Oooooooooo .....oooooh ooooh .....baby love .....my baby love .....;)

no offence otherwise to a political topic

• Registered Users Posts: 13 neantog

Echelle wrote: »
    Aine Lawlor, Olivia O Leary are serious, intelligent and interesting broadcasters.Mary Wilson is dull as ditchwater in comparison.I find her interviewing technique tedious predictable and whats more ,she has no charm whatsoever.
    I listened to Mary Wilson on Drivetime for a few minutes today Thursday 26th March 2009. The experience gave me indigestion. The quality of discussion on RTE about the recession is generally not good but I find Wilson more arrogant, right wing, and intolerant, than other news/current affairs presenters on RTE radio.

Advertisement