Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outlook express 2007 eircom account

Options
  • 27-02-2009 7:30pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭

can someone help me, im trying to configure my outlook express 2007 for my eircom.net account...

i can send mail no problem.. .but i canno trecieve mail... thus i think its a problem with the way i have configed OE rather than an eircom account problem...

heres what i have configured.

account type: pop3 is selected, and unabke to be changed
    incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    (i am using the advanced version on eircom.net)
    (i have tried both webmail and mail1, none works)

outgoing mail server (smpt):mail1.eircom.net

SPA login unchecked

nothing checked on 'outgoing server' selection box
    connect using LAN checked on 'connection' selection box
    all 'advanced' selections set as default

i have 3 other mail accounts going through OE and they all work fine.... one of them is even another eircom.net... the other two are gaelic.ie accounts....

im flumouxed, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Your logon name & password is filled in, yeah? Your login name needs to be your full eircom e-mail address - not just the username.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Big Wave wrote: »
    Your logon name & password is filled in, yeah? Your login name needs to be your full eircom e-mail address - not just the username.

nope, didnt work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

sydthebeat wrote: »
    nope, didnt work...
    My Mam uses Eircom mail in Outlook too, and she has trouble with it all the time - but they appear to be the right settings you're using!

When you hit Send/Receive - does it have trouble connecting to the Eircom webmail server, or does it connect and then not login?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Have you tried using mail1.eircom.net as incoming mail server ?

username includes @eircom.net ?

Try increasing server timeouts which is under the 'Advanced' tab

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Big Wave wrote: »
    My Mam uses Eircom mail in Outlook too, and she has trouble with it all the time - but they appear to be the right settings you're using!

When you hit Send/Receive - does it have trouble connecting to the Eircom webmail server, or does it connect and then not login?

the weird thing is it sends emails from this account, but doesnt recieve them...

i have another eircom.net account on 2007 as well, and theres no problem sending/recieving with that one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Just noticed afterwards that you had already tried mail1

I used use Outlook Express 6 (thunderbird now) so things might have changed in OE7:

Include this account when revieving mail or synchronising checked on the General tab ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Is it Outlook 2007 you have or Outlook Express 6? I don't think there is an OE7.
    Also, is your ISP Eircom? If not, the settings are different for outgoing mail.
    I have Outlook 2007 and the username is entered without the '@eircom.net' bit added on. Also, the 'Test Settings' option at the right hand side is useful to get things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Is this a new eircom.net account?

Is this the first time you've used a mail client to retrieve emails from the problem account?

It might be worth checking if the account is actually enabled for POP3. You can do this using Telnet in a command prompt.

For example:
    Type: telnet webmail.eircom.net 110  (press enter)
    Response : "+OK POP3 Ready webmailboxXXX.eircom.net 12345678" 

Type: USER youruser@eircom.net (press enter)
    Response :  "+OK USER youruser@eircom.net set, mate"

Type: PASS yourpassword (press enter)
    Response :  "+OK You are so in"

Type: LIST to see how many emails are in your POP3 mailbox (press enter)
    Response :  "+OK 4 messages
                        1 22066
                        2 3993
                        3 59975
                        4 90712"

Type: RETR 1 to view the first message (press enter)
    If you get an error or don't see any text then you might 
    need to contact Eircom.

Type QUIT to exit

Advertisement