Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose some books...

Options
  • 27-02-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm a huge fan of reading but am struggling to fnd books i can read. I find it hard to read book that are very (struggling for the right words) sensitive or deep, i guess, or true stories that twist at your heart. I've read a few jane austen, oscar wilde, emily bronte and i'm ok with them (...dorian gray was a bit too much) and every modern chick lit novel but i'm a bit fed up of the girl meets boy, hates boy, warms to boy, loves boy stories. If anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

This seems a bit off topic from what you like or are used to, but I've added "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly to my recent favorites. Really imaginative, kind of like a fairy tale for adults. Not too deep, and you'll fly through it in no time (so even if you hate it, it'll be over soon!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Well, you could try working your way through the Booker Prize list for some ideas. Or maybe a BBC top 100 books list for ideas.

The genres you're describing (classics and chick lit) mean that you could probably give any other style a bash too so be adventurous! Are you a member of your local library? I find that because it's free I don't feel so bad returning a book half read if I don't like it (rather than spending 12euro on it and feeling obliged to get through it all... :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

SeekUp wrote: »
    This seems a bit off topic from what you like or are used to, but I've added "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly to my recent favorites. Really imaginative, kind of like a fairy tale for adults. Not too deep, and you'll fly through it in no time (so even if you hate it, it'll be over soon!).

You should try some Angela Carter if you like fairy tales for adults (e.g.The Bloody Chamber).

Advertisement