Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel Size Advice (2 dogs)

Options
  • 27-02-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Can anyone advise what size kennel would be suitable for two large dogs (Shar Pei and Rottweiler)?
    Its only the actual sleeping quarters size I am interested in. I will be putting it inside the garage (with some sort of flap in the door to outside) so it will be protected from the elements; I am just trying to decide what size to actually make the kennel.
    I was thinking 3 times the size of their beds? i.e. enough room for each bed plus the same space between them.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I've seen up to three Mastiffs sleeping comfortably in a box 4 feet by 3 feet with empty houses all around them.

The are happier sleeping close to each other and need less room than you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I wouldn't get a kennel that's too big, one where the dog can stand up and turn around and lie down in comfortably is fine. If it's too big it won't retain any of the body heat. Being in a garage will make it more cosy and some nice bedding and they will be fine. I find vet bed and fleece blankets great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I have two 4x3 kennels for my Rotti & German Pointer but they insist on sleeping together in the kennel for the Mini Jack Russell. She's not too impressed when they squash in and steal her bed! They love to be cureled up tight to each other and the smaller the space the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Thank you all for your replies.
    I find vet bed and fleece blankets great.

Yes, I was going to use get that vet bed for them.
    They love to be cureled up tight to each other and the smaller the space the better!

I had intended to get two of those big plastic beds and put in the vet bed into them. Would I be better off just, maybe carpeting it, and put the vetbed straight onto the floor rather than using the plastic beds which may prevent them snuggling up!?

Again, many thanks for your replies;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

kildara wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I was going to use get that vet bed for them.

I had intended to get two of those big plastic beds and put in the vet bed into them. Would I be better off just, maybe carpeting it, and put the vetbed straight onto the floor rather than using the plastic beds which may prevent them snuggling up!?

Again, many thanks for your replies;)

I have always found dogs will curl up together it seems a natural pack instinct and with my own dogs if there is bedding that stops them from being comfortable then they will just try and tear it out of their way and lie on the ground curled up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

a kennel large enough for them both to stand up in a stretch out in will be fine!you dont want it too big or it wont keep the heat!they'll just keep close to each other anyway for warmt and comfort!

Advertisement