Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Supermacs in Galway

Options
  • 27-02-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Just walked past the old Zhivagos in Eyre Square, they are fitting a new S'macs into it. Seems pretty nice, but very wierd being so close to the other Supermacs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

would it not be some sort of extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Nope, last time I checked there wasn't an work done to the S'macs next door to link onto it, that and the bit they don't open at night hasnt had any work done, looks like a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

Might that not hint that Pat McD is being as shrewd as ever, sensing the Burger King's arrival and downsizing his own Eyre Sq operation by letting out his adjacent premises (which by coincidence has a handsome amount of Sq footage) and opening a brand new looking, smaller supersmacs.. If he is, no doubt he has a tenant lined up.

S'Macs would be best expanding in Eyre Square than downsizing, its ridiculously busy.

Anyone remember being able to go upstairs from where the ice cream part used to be and cross over to the burger side in the old restaurant?

And was the Zhivago's shop the original supermacs?

Anyway planning file number 08648 on galwaycity.ie
    Permission for temporary change of use of existing ground floor retail unit (250sqm.) to fast food family restaurant, with associated site works and signage

looking at the plans they will be using their current toilets.

There is an application in for the current building but it is oldish - to add a penthouse level and a lift.

A bit of googling produced this:
    http://www.irishplans.com/architect-design/supermacs-eyre-square-re-development/

Edit: The pictures stopped working - go to the site above to view them.
    Edit2: The link isn't working either never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

Anyone remember being able to go upstairs from where the ice cream part used to be and cross over to the burger side in the old restaurant?

Anyway planning file number 08648 on galwaycity.ie

looking at the plans they will be using their current toilets.

There is an application in for the current building but it is oldish - to add a penthouse level and a lift.

A bit of googling produced this:
    http://www.irishplans.com/architect-design/supermacs-eyre-square-re-development/
    eyre-square-sketch-design-galway1-150x150.jpg
    supermacs-eyre-square-sketch-design-galway11.jpg
    supermacs-eyre-square-sketch-design-galway1-150x150.jpg

Looks pretty nice. I will miss the 80's decor just a bit though. Ah, memories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That actually is a good design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Is Funworld still upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I was wondering that myself... Or was the old Supermac's where Matt O'Flah's is now?

And the current Supermac's was a Penneys for a while. And before that it was a Woolworths (RIP)... Would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I used to work in the zhivagos there and if you went upstairs into the staff area it was the old supermacs with the old chairs and tiles etc still there albeit a bit old and grotty. Im sure its an extension as they are still connected somehow. Probably just need to knock a wall to extend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Could be a dedicated Papa John's Restaurant or Relish Café.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

The counters at the back are a lurid green - not their usual colours. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a smoothie bar or just for pizzas.

Still won't be going near the place...

Nope, seen supermacs branding on the counter.

The site with the images is suspended through overuse :o

It looks like to do the work to the current place they will have to close it for a while - Zhivago's will be the temporary replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

lovertits wrote: »
    The counters at the back are a lurid green - not their usual colours. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a smoothie bar or just for pizzas.

Everyone say that until a feed of pints....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

lovertits wrote: »

I Too Only Eat Healthy Foods And Wouldn't Be Caught Dead In A Supermacs Like Common Folk.

DRakE wrote: »
    I Too Only Eat Healthy Foods And Wouldn't Be Caught Dead In A Supermacs Like Common Folk.

Everyone say that until a feed of pints....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just like my sisters veggie friend chowing down on a feed after the 12 pubs of christmas a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 narwog7

Supermacs Eyre Sq is the best nightclub in galway by far!

nothing says i love you more than a garlic cheese chip....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

DRakE wrote: »

Is that the title of a song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I asked a manager what they're at and he told me that they're extending & the whole shop is going to be completely revamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Carlotta wrote: »
    Is that the title of a song?
    You people dont get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

id say it'l be a take away only spot where you cant sit down, take the strain from the current supermacs

The plans show seating for about 120 people - this is a temporary home while they close the current one for renovations.

It is good timing in my opinion -BK opens and draws the crowds for a while.

Then Supermacs re-open and they are the newest and fanciest again.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just walked past the old Zhivagos in Eyre Square, they are fitting a new S'macs into it. Seems pretty nice, but very wierd being so close to the other Supermacs.

Woo-hoo, more fast food sh!te with gammy plastic, same old sh!te marketing. Burker King coming to Galway aswell, depressing. They'll probably stick them right on shop street, city council @ssholes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Woo-hoo, more fast food sh!te with gammy plastic, same old sh!te marketing. Burker King coming to Galway aswell, depressing. They'll probably stick them right on shop street, city council @ssholes
    Burger King are moving into the Eyre Square Centre.

Fast food sales rise in a recession. Supermacs is Irish owned. It's your patriotic duty to restart the economy by purchasing curry chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Woo-hoo, more fast food sh!te ...

They're in cahoots with the drug and medical device companies: fast food makes you fat and unhealthy so you need the drugs and devices.

So really, it's all about job creation for Galway!

:D

Robbo wrote: »
    Curry chips.

Curry and Cheese Chips... now I'm hungry God damm it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote: »
    Fast food sales rise in a recession.

Heh!

I was just thinking about this! We have BK and KFC joining the ranks of the galway dirty burger peddlars and Supermacs are expanding. We have Subways all over the gaff and now a Quiznos.

It might be worth tailoring the oul CV... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Heh!

I was just thinking about this! We have BK and KFC joining the ranks of the galway dirty burger peddlars and Supermacs are expanding. We have Subways all over the gaff and now a Quiznos.

It might be worth tailoring the oul CV... :)
    Wait for the mass redundancies for those who "source" organically fed, ethically reared free-range kale. Those swine are due to be first against the wall.

Advertisement