Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny's article in the Irish Times

Options
  • 27-02-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading his article today, and to be honest, I felt it was pretty much common sense in calling for an emergency budget, a serious reduction in juniour ministers/political paybills, dropping vanity projects, and frontloading the cuts that everyone knows are coming.

I know its easy to determine what should be done when your in opposition, but the frightening thing is effectively all Irish citizens, the opposition and even the unions [ despite their public rejection of even the concept of paycuts I believe the unions secretly accept there will have to be serious cuts] have accepted there will need to be severe cut backs. We are waiting for Fianna Fail to catch up with the wider public, instead of leading the country. Brian Cowen and Lenihan are busy referring the hard decisions to Ko - Mi - Tays so they can wash their hands of responsibility, which is typical Fianna Fail behaviour. They need to act now. The cuts need to be made this year, not next year or the year after that.

Fianna Fail has lost credibility, not only with the Irish people, but also with the market from where Ireland must borrow, and also with our EU partners whom Ireland must convince that if they support us it wont be good money after bad. If Fianna Fail are scared of actually being the government of this country and would prefer to hide on the opposition benches, then they need to step aside and let someone else lead. Effectively this means Kenny.
    OPINION: We need a new top tax rate, the metro must wait and Dáil costs have to be cut – right now, writes ENDA KENNY .

THE ACCELERATING pace of job destruction, the loss of confidence in our banks and the spiralling Government deficit are inextricably linked.

The Government has failed to stop the haemorrhage of jobs in large part because it has failed to restore access to credit for businesses by fixing the banking crisis. And it failed to fix the banking crisis because the markets are losing faith in the Government’s guarantee to our banks.

The international markets are losing faith in the guarantee because the Government has failed to stop the public finances from spiralling out of control at a pace that has not been seen in any other country in the world. And it has failed to stop the public finances from spiralling out of control because the measures it has taken so far have been limited, partial, selective and unfair.

There are many things that need to be done to improve the situation of our struggling small businesses, exporters and job seekers. But nothing will have much impact unless we take the hard decisions now to mend our broken public finances.

That is why I believe it is long past time for the Government to end the current state of denial and prevarication.

Its strategy for the public finances and wider economy is clearly failing, and both the Irish public and international markets funding the banking system and our Government are losing patience.

We no longer have the luxury of the time needed for long consultation processes by Government advisory groups before taking further decisions on public spending, reform and taxation in 2010. It is better that we take decisions for ourselves now, than force outsiders to do it for us later this year.

Ultimately, this is about our financial independence.

That is why I am now calling on Government to announce that it will, within the next month, deliver a new budget that substantially cuts the €40 billion Government borrowing requirement for 2009 and 2010 combined that is being forecast by most independent economists.

If Fine Gael were in government in the morning and I were taoiseach, that is what I would be doing.

To achieve this, the new budget must be ambitious, wide-ranging and comprehensive in its scope. It has to be fair and proportionate in its execution by showing what role is being played by all groups in society, particularly those who are in the best position to contribute more.

It has to look not just at spending cuts but at additional tax and other revenue-raising measures that can drag our public finances back under control. Fine Gael will enter this debate constructively. I have asked Richard Bruton to prepare our own strategy in this regard. Nothing is off the table on our part.

We will look at ways of increasing taxes and broadening the tax base into new areas that do not fundamentally damage our competitiveness and economic model. We must also look to ensure that the valuable role played by so many of our voluntary groups is protected and recognised.

Our approach will be driven by the principle of those that have most should contribute most.

Fine Gael will look at options, such as increasing the top rate of income tax, look at the scope for a new top rate of tax for those on very high incomes and finally, we will look at the introduction of a carbon levy at, say, €25 per tonne of carbon.

These are the types of measures on the tax side that we believe now need to be considered.

Also on the tax side, we should be looking at abolishing stamp duty and replacing it with capital gains tax on sales of houses of the super-rich .

We will look at which infrastructure projects can be safely deferred or abandoned. That means that some projects, like the metro projects in Dublin, would be put on the back-burner. We would scrap the old National Development Plan and reprioritise smaller, labour-intensive projects that can keep as many tradesmen and builders employed as possible.

Fine Gael would push ahead with its proposals to control public sector pay, such as the pay, increments and bonuses freeze for two years, a targeted programme of back-office staff redundancies and pay cuts for those on higher incomes. We originally said that the pay cuts should only affect those earning more than €100,000 but, given the current state of the public finances, that threshold should now be lowered.

Most of all, we will look at radical reforms to our budgetary system that squeezes out waste and poor value for money. That means tackling the big bureaucracies like the Health Service Executive and Fás and driving substantial savings in their bloated back-office structures.

It also means at a Governmental level cutting the number of junior Ministers, cutting the Dáil committees by 10 and reducing the numbers of staff that prop up Ministers’ press and constituency operations.

Not everything can be delivered in one go. But we will leave no doubt as to what we intend to achieve in Government and how. I encourage other parties to do the same.

Some will say that further spending cuts and tax increases will only further damage the economy at this delicate time.

I was also once of this view, but now believe that the opposite is the case. Families and businesses already know there is serious pain ahead. But what is holding them back from getting on with their lives and business decisions is the uncertainty about what form this pain will take, and how long it will last.

This has to be faced up to with a sense of realism.

Many of the fundamental strengths of the Irish economy remain in place – high levels of education, a flexible and skilled workforce and a pro-enterprise tax and regulatory environment. But what is killing the economy, and by extension our society, is the fear and uncertainty stemming from the obvious lack of a credible and widely supported plan to deal with our broken public finances and banking system.

If we don’t tackle this problem, we won’t get our people back to work.

I believe that if the Irish public and the international markets see a Government with a plan, one that is ambitious, specific, fair, all-inclusive and widely supported and one that does not defer difficult decisions on tax and public sector reforms to future years, then confidence can be restored.

Funds could once again flow through our banks to small businesses, homeowners would finally get some respite and the draining of jobs and hope from our economy would start to be reversed.

Enda Kenny is leader of Fine Gael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Sand wrote: »
    Fianna Fail has lost credibility, not only with the Irish people, but also with the market from where Ireland must borrow, and also with our EU partners whom Ireland must convince that if they support us it wont be good money after bad. If Fianna Fail are scared of actually being the government of this country and would prefer to hide on the opposition benches, then they need to step aside and let someone else lead.

Totally agree with you. Brian Cowen is simply unable to lead the country out of this mess. Every day he stays in power is adding another day, or more, to the length of the recession we are facing. Its time he resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't disagree with what he said but I would stress that it's a lot easier to call for this from opposition than it is to actually implement it as the Government. We might get a reaction from Cowen in his speech tomorrow.

nesf wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what he said but I would stress that it's a lot easier to call for this from opposition than it is to actually implement it as the Government.

Agreed. The problem is that it appears that the country is on auto drive. We need someone to lead from the front and be visible to everyone. I'm not convinced that Enda has the personality for this, either. But, we need change. The country is simply going down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Fixing the country is going to be very difficult no matter who takes it on. FF in the form of the current Government do not appear to have any solutions. It is not surprising when there is absolutely no talent in the cabinet. Things were fine when the money was rolling in but in the last few months the FF Government has been exposed as incompetent but it blunders on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'm not convinced that Enda has the personality for this, either.

Personality is irrelevant. If personality was useful for the situation we find ourselves in then the "Bring Back Bertie!!!" campaign would already be in full swing. It isnt.

• Advertisement

Personality is irrelevant. If personality was useful for the situation we find ourselves in then the "Bring Back Bertie!!!" campaign would already be in full swing. It isnt.

Personality is relevant, implementing the level of cutbacks required will be next to impossible if the Taoiseach of the day doesn't get buy in. And he has to start within his own party. Its clear that Brian cannot even get buy in for cuts there. That's part of his problem, he's trying to dole out the pain elsewhere, while making no serious progress with government reform.

Bertie is a busted flush, people won't easily forget who led the country when the foundation for the current debacle. Mind you, Brian also has a credibility gap in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Also on the tax side, we should be looking at abolishing stamp duty and replacing it with capital gains tax on sales of houses of the super-rich

Now, there's a good idea! There will be just about no significant capital gains on houses in the foreseeable future. So why confine it to the super-rich? If you're going to introduce a tax that hits almost nobody, you should spread it over the entire population.

You're not going to get a tax yield equivalent to what had been coming from stamp duty with such silly ideas. You need a serious tax with a wide base. Property tax is the obvious first thought.

But Enda is running for election, not setting out a programme to address our economic and budgetary problems: whatever you do, don't risk upsetting any voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Effectively this means Kenny.

It might, but he wouldn't be very effective. It's bizarre that FG have continued on with this ill-suited grey man as their leader. His latest approval rating is 29% which is about where Michael Noonan was at before the '02 election.

Nothing in his article was new or innovative. i have little political respect for a man like Kenny who over the last 6 months, has be more interested in engaging in vicious partisanship and talking down this country on the international stage, than actually trying to help fix the problems we have.

Gilmore looks far more like the Taoiseach-in-waiting to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hillel wrote: »
    Personality is relevant, implementing the level of cutbacks required will be next to impossible if the Taoiseach of the day doesn't get buy in. And he has to start within his own party. Its clear that Brian cannot even get buy in for cuts there. That's part of his problem, he's trying to dole out the pain elsewhere, while making no serious progress with government reform.

I think personality is entirely irrelevant and a distraction from real issues, but even by your measure Kenny is in a better position than Cowan, since he has the backing of his party and would be able to propose the cuts needed and keep the support of the party.

I think personality is entirely irrelevant and a distraction from real issues, but even by your measure Kenny is in a better position than Cowan, since he has the backing of his party and would be able to propose the cuts needed and keep the support of the party.

How do you know that? FG aren't in power yet. We'll only get to see how truly tight a ship it is when they get there and actually have to implement unpopular policy. Until then FF's unpopularity is making life easy for every FG and Lab backbencher so it's unsurprising that both leaders are enjoying widespread support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I feel so strongly now that a general election is the only way for the people of Ireland to be able to set up the government that they have some sort of positive feeling towards. Only then will everyone put their shoulders to the wheel so to speak.

It will take a full government term to get us out of this mess so its better to start now with an election and get going from there. FF know that they now have no mandate, no support, and no right to be there. They themselves are holding onto the perks of office now to the detriment of the country.

I absolutely want a general election. I dont believe that Kenny is the man for the job either because I get the sense that he listens to what the people are saying, and then repeats it to keep them happy. We need someone to make decisions not based on the popularity of those decisions, and with a sense of social and moral responsibility behind the decisions. FF have no morals anyway, we've seen that.

Special needs children hit, primary classes raised, library grants that helped little children learn to read abolished, and only then, talk of taxing those that frequented the Galway tent.

This has to stop. Ive never been overly party political but right now Im seething that FF have not been pushed out or have not gone of their own accord.

I think Eamonn Gilmore will be the man to lead us through the next 5 years. We need someone to take responsible, fiscal and moral decisions and we need that now.

I want this levy on public servants removed and replaced by a fair increase in tax. If that means me as a teacher paying more than I will due to the levy, thats ok, once I can afford the basics. We're all in the mess, but I want a sense that we're all paying to get us out.

I was told that a certain banker who should be in a cell was seen this week being asked to leave a very very expensive restaurant because people didnt want to eat while he was in there. If you owe a 10 figure sum of money and can't pay it back, and you have the cash to eat in one of the most expensive restaurants in Europe, then this is the sign that the country in general has a massive social and ethical problem.

We need a new leader but I don't think Kenny is the man for the job. Give me Richard Bruton and Eamonn Gilmore in whatever combination is going.

How do you know that? FG aren't in power yet. We'll only get to see how truly tight a ship it is when they get there and actually have to implement unpopular policy. Until then FF's unpopularity is making life easy for every FG and Lab backbencher so it's unsurprising that both leaders are enjoying widespread support.

Well how do you know he doesn't have the party's support? FG won 20 more seats in the last election under his leadership and he's the only party leader who's still there since before the GE. They seem happy to have him lead them into local and EU elections. Yes its true that being in opposition means you don't have to implement any policies, but if you start spouting any old drivel from the safety of opposition you are likely to stay there, and lose any credibility you may have. Kenny has credibility as FG leader, at the present moment at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think we'll get a FG/Labour coalition if we get elections.

I think that will be good because you'll have a better balance of power than the current government as Labour will have more power than the Greens have in the current government.

I don't think the Greens have any power in the current government and would do the country and themselves a good favour by pulling out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Personally, I definitely think its time for a change. Now more then ever we need a general election to elect a party who isn't afraid to act, wont run from difficult decisions and will make decisions that are fair for everyone. This is what we need and we need it sooner rather then later. At the moment we have a government with no clear plan. Clutching at straws, hoping for the best and ignoring the calls from people who are extremely annoyed (any of the polls over the last several months are clearly indicating that the people are not happy. Remember it was these people who voted in FF, and now they have finally seen its time for a change and they want it now).

I don't for one second agree that the leader of a new government needs a brilliant "personality". Christ, what type of personality does Biffo and Co have? From my own experience, being at various speeches by Enda and speaking to him personally on a few occasions he is the complete opposite to what we often see on the TV. A very good speaker, humours, and easy going. A recent News Talk interview springs to mind where he was straight talking, honest and to the point. Wasn't afraid to answer difficult questions and wasn't avoiding anything. Judging by the comments sent in after the interview, an overwhelming majority seemed to agree.

I think that FG have some excellent candidates both locally (where they are expected to do even better in June) and nationally (all the polls seemed to put FG on top) which can pull us out of this mess using decisions which of course we wont all like but they will be done across the board and will be fair for everyone. We cant shy away from difficult decisions, but we have to make decisions that are fair to everyone and that will work. I believe that FG will bring us out of this mess and have the ability to do so. I also believe that they wont make the same mistakes which brought us into this mess and will work on improving our country.

I don't for one second believe Labour could get us out of this on their own. They are getting a lot more publicity then most of the other party's (FG included) mainly on RTE. A lot of what they suggest have already been suggested by FG anyway. Labour seem to piggy back on FG and have some good candidates but I really cant see them as an alternative on their own. They shout very loudly and are probably the most vocal in opposition but on their own I just would not like to see. Perhaps a good combination with FG they could but their heads together and sort us out.

I think the Greens will walk away pretty damaged from this and I am not so sure if others would take them in. Though, I do like some of their work but they have been far to much of a walk over and have been under FFs thumb since joining with them.

Overall though, I think FG have a real good chance of getting the next election on their own but its probably more time to speak up, offer solutions and be a better vocal alternative. Do what Labour are doing now and they will have no competition at all and I think people will feel more comfortable voting them in knowing what they can offer and what they can do.

Well how do you know he doesn't have the party's support?

I wasn't saying he doesn't have it now, I'm saying that while he's still riding on the success of the last election (which very much secured his position), this doesn't mean that once he gets into Government and starts pushing through unpopular legislation that his backbenchers will continue to be so supportive. We won't know until they're 6-12 months into office.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I wasn't saying he doesn't have it now, I'm saying that while he's still riding on the success of the last election (which very much secured his position), this doesn't mean that once he gets into Government and starts pushing through unpopular legislation that his backbenchers will continue to be so supportive. We won't know until they're 6-12 months into office.

That can happen with anyone though. Besides, look at Brian Cowen - he is getting along just fine so far!

Anybody I spoke with in the party or with connections seem very happy with him. Senator Paudie Coffey being one who spoke on a local radio a few days ago (WLR FM) after being quizzed on it. Iv heard numerous other speeches from party members praise him also.

Anything can happen of course, its a situation that could happen to any party.

Well, what reasons do you see backbenchers rejecting Kenny over?

Well, what reasons do you see backbenchers rejecting Kenny over?

I'm looking at an 18-20 billion euro deficit and seeing a lot of extremely angry voters from the necessary cuts that will be needed to close it. I hope there's the public will for the necessary change but I do not know if it's really there yet. If it isn't there his backbenchers will be getting a lot of flak from local interest groups. The other problem, which Gilmore and to a lesser extent Cowen don't have*, is that for many people (including myself) would see his deputy leader as who should be leading the party. Combining the two of these and you might see rumblings within the party for a fresh face, especially given the previous electoral defeat etc.

*In Cowen's case it's more that the rest of the big names in the party are keeping a low profile and looking to minimise the amount of **** that sticks to their name for future leadership bids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

For all those that vouch for an election, you do know that whatever party takes power that they will have to seriously cutback on the finances too?

Garret Fitzgerald summed it up midweek perfectly, the govt won't seriously act on the public finances before the local elections and after that it needs all party support on the issue to force FF to make a change like hiking taxes/cutbacks, a bit like a Tallaght strategy.

gurramok wrote: »
    For all those that vouch for an election, you do know that whatever party takes power that they will have to seriously cutback on the finances too?

I can recall FG stating that anyway. The point being made is that it will be done in a better way then the current government are doing it.
    Garret Fitzgerald summed it up midweek perfectly, the govt won't seriously act on the public finances before the local elections and after that it needs all party support on the issue to force FF to make a change like hiking taxes/cutbacks, a bit like a Tallaght strategy.

Its widely expected FF will do very very badly in the locals. Though I suppose the attitude of trying not to make a bad situation anyworse during a time which can be very damaging for them is a strategy for survial for them but not so for the rest of us waiting on action to fix the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

CtrlSource wrote: »
    It might, but he wouldn't be very effective. It's bizarre that FG have continued on with this ill-suited grey man as their leader. His latest approval rating is 29% which is about where Michael Noonan was at before the '02 election.

Nothing in his article was new or innovative. i have little political respect for a man like Kenny who over the last 6 months, has be more interested in engaging in vicious partisanship and talking down this country on the international stage, than actually trying to help fix the problems we have.

Gilmore looks far more like the Taoiseach-in-waiting to me

Ah yes your words have the famaliar ring of a soldier of destiny.
    Would you say Clowen is effective or do you consider his presiding over the destruction of our economy to be effective?

The problem with Labour would be that they would be seen as pro union and would not want to take them on.
    The unions and public sector will have to be taken on and faced down.

The most important position I think going forward is Finance and at the moment the person best suited looks like Bruton so why take him from that portfolio.

I am afraid we can't wait for Biffo to get the locals over with and then decide to bring in a budget with cuts and tax hikes.
    It needs to be done now, the exchequear returns are sh*** and that is the word from someone in revenue.

FF are prolonging the situation and they just don't appear to have grasped it.
    If they had grapsed the fact ordinary people are peed off with the top bankers and their cosy arrangments with developers, and the need to show the international investment community that things were changing in financial circles, then they would not have allowed the elevation of Richie Boucher, Sean Dunne's banking advisor, to the post of CEO of BOI.

That decision alone goes to show we are f***ed as a destination for international funds.

If Kenny was elected Taoiseach he might be looking towards retirement and thus would not give too sh**s about making the hard decisions. Anyone ever thought of that ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    If Kenny was elected Taoiseach he might be looking towards retirement and thus would not give too sh**s about making the hard decisions. Anyone ever thought of that ?

and destroy his political reputation?!? I highly doubt ANY leader would do that. Plus I doubt hes looking towards retirement.

Sully wrote: »
    and destroy his political reputation?!? I highly doubt ANY leader would do that. Plus I doubt hes looking towards retirement.

But in the long run the hard decisions could save the country.
    One of the few positive things today related about Haughey is that he helped lay (albeit he was aided by Dukes' Tallaght Strategy, McSharry in Finance and the IMF giving him a boot) the foundations for the Celtic Tiger.

Your reputation ain't going to be worth diddly squat anyway, if the IMF appears 6 months after you take power.

I think it could mean the end of your career if someone does take all the necessary hard decisions, but in the long term history might view the person very kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

I may be a bit too young to remember it but I'm told that for years, people spoke negatively about John Bruton also - 'He'll never be Taoiseach', 'He doesn't have the charisma/personality' etc etc.
    Following much bad fortune and media bashing, John Bruton went on, in 1994, to become Taoiseach, following a stroke of luck. He went on to become a very good Taoiseach who oversaw the beginning of The Celtic Tiger. His record has stood the test of time and he now holds a very responsible and respected position representing the EU in the U.S.. There are no political or financial scandals coming back to haunt him.
    If those who doubted John Bruton but preferred C. J. Haughey and Bertie Ahern, were to be listened to, John Bruton would never have been given the opportunity.
    Now, why not stop this negative talk about Enda? Surely he would, with Eamonn Gilmore and Richard Bruton at his side, do a hell of alot better than what we've been putting up with for the past number of years? They would bring a new enthusiasm and energy to the political scene in this country.
    I bet they are glad they didn't get in at the last election, however, because if they did, everybody would have blamed THEM for the mess we are now in!

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    I may be a bit too young to remember it but I'm told that for years, people spoke negatively about John Bruton also - 'He'll never be Taoiseach', 'He doesn't have the charisma/personality' etc etc.
    Following much bad fortune and media bashing, John Bruton went on, in 1994, to become Taoiseach, following a stroke of luck. He went on to become a very good Taoiseach who oversaw the beginning of The Celtic Tiger. His record has stood the test of time and he now holds a very responsible and respected position representing the EU in the U.S.. There are no political or financial scandals coming back to haunt him.
    If those who doubted John Bruton but preferred C. J. Haughey and Bertie Ahern, were to be listened to, John Bruton would never have been given the opportunity.
    Now, why not stop this negative talk about Enda? Surely he would, with Eamonn Gilmore and Richard Bruton at his side, do a hell of alot better than what we've been putting up with for the past number of years? They would bring a new enthusiasm and energy to the political scene in this country.
    I bet they are glad they didn't get in at the last election, however, because if they did, everybody would have blamed THEM for the mess we are now in!

Very well put.
    Bruton was laughed at, partially due to his habit of laughing a bit like a donkey and he was seen as gruff and grumpy.
    A lot of the time these impressions are floated and given wings by good old ff and their media lackies.
    They have convinced people that they should have as leader either a loveable rogue, that they can chat to about football and go to the pub with them or someone who shouts everyone else down, can sink 15 pints, sing a few songs and go to the pub with them.

My criteria for country's leader involves someone that is first and foremost honest, that wants to do the best for his/her country and the people and not look after their mates first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Some will say that further spending cuts and tax increases will only further damage the economy at this delicate time.

I was also once of this view, but now believe that the opposite is the case. Families and businesses already know there is serious pain ahead. But what is holding them back from getting on with their lives and business decisions is the uncertainty about what form this pain will take, and how long it will last.

This is the most important thing for me. We all know that new taxes and cuts are on the way, but FF seem to be spreading them out over a long period, which makes me nervous. I'd rather know now and get used to the changes quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

FF are holding off until after the local elections if they can.

They are gambling the economy and the country staying afloat to try to retain power, it is a despicable act.

They should be removed from power at once for their actions if this country was serious about its politics.

Instead we are doomed to an opposition that won't stand with them and say what needs to be done to attract power which is again a despicable act.

We have no parties that want to act in the national interest. They'd bother rather gamble the country in an attempt to win power. If the opposition stood with the government and said what needed to be done then FF would get on with it IMO but they should do it anyway but are refusing to to try to hold on to power which is why they are slightly worse than the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

jmayo wrote: »
    Very well put.
    Bruton was laughed at, partially due to his habit of laughing a bit like a donkey and he was seen as gruff and grumpy.
    A lot of the time these impressions are floated and given wings by good old ff and their media lackies.
    They have convinced people that they should have as leader either a loveable rogue, that they can chat to about football and go to the pub with them or someone who shouts everyone else down, can sink 15 pints, sing a few songs and go to the pub with them.

My criteria for country's leader involves someone that is first and foremost honest, that wants to do the best for his/her country and the people and not look after their mates first and foremost.

Good post. My criteria are pretty similar, people who are honest and competent. No more jobs for the boys, people getting positions on boards of state companies. And if you are on one, you can't be on any others.

I just hope that regardless of who gets in (although I sincerely hope it isn't FF), that there is enough public anger there to make sure that this sort of cronyism can't continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

On viewing some of these posts, I couldn't help, when reading about cronyism in a certain political party, seeing some similarities with SOME (but not all) of the head honchos at G.A.A. H.Q.. Do what they want and become part of the system and that's fine. Question anything or attempt to rock the boat and there is a muzzle put on you or you are ridiculed, in an effort to discredit you.
    I suppose like everythingelse, the longer a certain group is in power, the more likely it is that things become less democratic, people in control become less willing or capable of being objective and seeing the wider picture. Protecting the institution or the party is more important than facing the truth. Burying ones heads in the sand and refusing to face reality seems to be a classic difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Don't get me wrong - there are also some very good people in the G.A.A., just like there are in the political party mentioned. People who are out on a cold Saturday morning, training teams on a voluntary basis. Those who drive young lads and girls (like myself) here, there and everywhere to match on cold winter evenings and warm summer evenings. It's the people in the ivory towers I'm talking about.

Advertisement