Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Club in work...help!

• 27-02-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I decided I'd set a camera club in my work (6000 people work where I work so it made sense). 3 or 4 people in my immidiate office were interested and 2 or 3 others I knew of in my building. The level of interest has far outgrown anything I could have expected with over 30 people from all level of experience being interested, which is great!
    The thing is I have to contact everyone next week and organise some sort of meeting to try to get something set up.
    I've no idea what a club would entail. Mainly I wanted to set it up in work as something to get people taking pictures, sharing ideas, people learning from one another, outings, the possibility of an annual or bi-annual exhibition in the main building, maybe/hopefully some sort of facilities or funding??
    I want to keep it as informal as possible and like I said get people interested in taking pictures and photography.
    Anybody any idea where I should go from here. I feel I'm in over my head and I know people on here will be able to help/rescue me!!!!

Thanks!!!

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Pete

You've already said it all in paragraph 3.

Put it down on paper, tease it out a little, look at the pro's and con's of each point and see if it looks a little more comprehensive or if it's how you se eit progressing.

Remember, crawl before you walk.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

http://www.liskeardcameraclub.co.uk/LDCC-clubrules.htm

Tis a bit formal, but it might give you ideas.

The first thing I would do is set up a Yahoo Groups type thing and get them all subscribed.

Set up a Flickr account and create a group where members can post images.

Run competitions on FLickr group too.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

delegate ! put a mail out to find people that will help or ask for the ideas of what they want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

pete

i am involved in the runing of a club out in dalkey, we only set it up in september

if you want some help give me a shout, i will tell you what to look out for etc

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Pete
    Just as a matter of interest do you work in Dublin? Specifically in Leixlip ??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

isnt leixlip in Kildare ??? :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's actually in Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

well done for giving it a go.

- Put down some ground rules is always a good start
    - As already said, delegate - have treasurer, chairman etc etc
    - if its a proper club then you need AGM

Bets of luck with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I set one up at work as well recently and it's just getting off the ground.
    We set up a private group in Flickr for our pics and discussions.

to get the ball rolling we had a photo competition and in our first meeting we announced the winners and each person talked (if they wanted to) a little bit about their pic. It was a good way to get people talking a little bit....

the winner then picks the category for the next competition. We're planning on having a display in work at teh end of the year- everyone can display two of their pics....

In meetings for the moment it's going to be focused around the competitions, hopefully in some meetings some people will share some knowledge on topics as well.

cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. let me know how ye get on as we're still looking for some ideas to expand/add more content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

pete4130 wrote: »
    Ok, so I decided I'd set a camera club in my work (6000 people work where I work so it made sense).

Pete.

Aside:

That is as far as I got before I went of to show others... wow a place in Ireland where 6000 people work............ still stunned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Sounds like Intel eh?!

I think the main first step is to get everyone on some kind of Google group or mailing list. I personally faaaaar prefer google solutions to the above Yahoo suggestion. Any of you in the group got the know-how to setup or maintain a website? Maybe even a basic blog with information on upcoming events.

Collect a list of ideas from other photographic societies, sign up to their mailing lists and see what they're up to. Maybe even join up with another society for a few weeks then branch out on yer own.

In our university photo-soc we had a very interesting mini-competition there a while back... everyone was given then same disposible camera, which they returned a week or two later for processing and compared results. Maybe even an informal exhibition. You may need some kind of annual membership fee? At college we're funded but that means we can pay expenses for some good photographers to come in and talk and present their work (followed by few glasses of wine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

gary82 wrote: »
    Sounds like Intel eh?!

Or the Civil Service :)

Will you be registering with the IPF to take part in competitions etc?

Advertisement