Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GERMAN RED WINES?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Does anyone know of any off-licences in dublin selling German red wine.I was on hols last year in germany and went to the kaiserstuhl wine region.While there i tasted lots of different wines.I specifically aquired a taste for spatburgunder wines.Brought back about 8 bottles,all gone now but would like to buy another few bottles or a case.If i could afford it i would buy a ship load.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Look up Karwig Wines in Carragaline, Cork.
    Joe Karwig is German and they probably have the biggest selection of German and Austrian wine in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

Look up Karwig Wines in Carragaline, Cork.
    Joe Karwig is German and they probably have the biggest selection of German and Austrian wine in Ireland.

Thanks for the reply,i appreciate it.I had a look they seem to have a spatburgunder wine at around 16.20euro plus p&p.I was paying 5.50euro for the bottles in germany(really good wine).(I know transport costs and markup)It would kill me to pay these prices but i might have no choice.Does anyone know any wines shops in DUBLIN selling german red wines.A guy i was talking to said the Germans don't export their good wines.They keep them for home comsumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

Thanks for the reply,i appreciate it.I had a look they seem to have a spatburgunder wine at around 16.20euro plus p&p.I was paying 5.50euro for the bottles in germany(really good wine).(I know transport costs and markup)It would kill me to pay these prices but i might have no choice.Does anyone know any wines shops in DUBLIN selling german red wines.A guy i was talking to said the Germans don't export their good wines.They keep them for home comsumption.

an alternative would be to try a pinot noir ( same grape as the spatburgunder, but French call this Pinot Noir), one of these from Alsace would be similar to the German spatburgunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 1carrot2

Mc Hughs Off-Licenses stock a Meyer Nakel Spatburgunder.
    Wicklow Wine Co. import a few but they are pricey ones. Check their website:
    http://www.wicklowwineco.ie/germanWines.html

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Have you ever tried a Dornfelder? Have to say I was really surprised with this one. Germany's so well known for its whites, but some of the reds are really impressive and it takes people to actually go out there before they realise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

Thanks for the replies lads.i will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you give Joe Karwig a call he'd tell you if he supplies anyone near Dublin.
    He love talking to anyone who shows an interest in wine!

Advertisement