Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dzogchen Beara

• 27-02-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi

I am fairly new to buddhism and it's something that I would really like to explore...i have found all the posts on here very interesting.

I have just discovered that this place dzogchen beara exists and I would be really interested in attending a weekend course here.

I'm just wondering has anyone ever been to stay there and what was it like...the courses cost a bit but I wouldn't mind paying if it offered a genuine opportunity to explore buddhism in more depth.

Thank You

Ms_Nightengale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MT2

Hi there Ms Nightingale,

I'm really not advanced enough to answer your question, I don't know Dzogchen Beara itself, have never been there, but seeing as you have had no replies yet I just thought I'd throw something out there.

Sogyal Rinpoche is giving a seminar in Killarney, at the end of April. He's the author of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.

If you could attend that I'm sur eyou'll find like-minded people and hopefully get some more precise answers to your questions!

http://www.dzogchenbeara.org/index.php?pid=94&aid=335

Good luck!

MT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Hi Ms Nightengale,
    I have been going there once or twice a year for a good number of years and like it a lot. The setting is spectacular with a wide open view of the ocean. The people holding the retreats are very down-to-earth and easy to talk to. There are a variety of retreats/events that go on there. A weekend retreat often includes some teachings, guided and unguided practice sessions, discussions and a fair amount of time to do your own thing. There isn't a lot of accommodation there so you might need to stay in a B&B. There is a hostel on site - be sure to book early for it.

Sogyal Rinpoche, under who's guidance the centre runs, comes there for a week-long teaching retreat at the end of June so that would give you the best in-depth experience of the teachings he gives and a good idea of Tibetan Buddhism. Many of the weekend events use videos of teachings given by Sogyal Rinpoche as part of them. You can see a couple of videos on YouTube, e.g. "What meditation really is", "The ultimate goal of meditation", "The essence of buddhism" so these might give you an idea of his teachings.

As you are keen to explore Buddhism, another good starting point might be to go to a weekend on meditation. I see there is a retreat over the Easter weekend, "The Treasure of Contentment", and later one called "Finding Peace" which focus on meditation.

Some other teachers also come to Dzogchen Beara. There are Ato Rinpoche on St Patricks Day, Ringu Tulku at the June long weekend and Dzigar Kontrul Rinpoche in August. These teachers will be teaching on some topic of Buddhism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ms_Nightengale

Hi
    Thanks for the replies

Think might try to make it to the talk in killarney. Seems like it might be a good introduction.

Am so glad to hear that dzoghan beara is as peaceful as it looks and that its down to earth which is really what I wanted to know...a genuine place where I can explore buddhism, talk to like minded people and hear others experiences..there's only so much you can learn from reading.

Have just filled out the application for Dzigar Kontrul Rinpoche in August..would like to go to the others but this is only weekend I know that I definitely will be able to attend.

Thanks again

Peace
    Ms_Nightengale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I just remembered, Ringu Tulku will be teaching in Dublin between 20th-25th May. See www.buddhism.ie/KSD/KSDevents.htm.

Advertisement