Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass seed - poisonous?

Options
  • 27-02-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

I need to lay some grass seed in our garden this Spring and as the weather is picking up I figured I'd do it over the next week or so. Does anyone know if grass seed is dangerous to cats? Our cat spends most of her day in the back garden and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't try to eat it but she's a bit of a twit so she might... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Normal grass seed is not poisonous however some of it is coated with a substance to stop birds from eating it. I haven't tried it but I would guess that it's a bitter taste agent so the cat wouldn't like it either.

Dogs can sometimes get grass seeds stuck between their pads & these can pierce the skin to cause infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No, it's not poisonous. It's grass seed! Which will eventually grow into grass which will be consumed by animals! So nothing to worry about.

Our neighbour put down grass seed in her garden and ours last weekend (after putting up a fence) and it's being eaten by birds and they're fine - bird population hasn't decreased! And chances are that your cat won't eat the seeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Thanks for the responses, guys. I figured that it wouldn't do her any harm but I said I'd be better off to check - I tried to google it but any search with the words "cat" and "grass" just seem to feed back loads of items about cat grass :-s Btw convert, birds eating a type of seed or berry doesn't ensure that it isn't poisonous to mammals.

Advertisement