Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing games

• 27-02-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

i read somewhere you can install games to the xbox. is this true?

if so what benefit does it have and how the hell do u do it? bear in mind i havent downloaded any updates and am workin on the old menu system.

and how much space does this take up on ur hard drive, i only have a 20gb.

and just to keep u all updated my first foray in to the xbox 360 world aint too bad. halo 3 started off bad but after a few levels it went back to the spirit of halo 1 (which i loved) and i bought blue dragon for 4.99. i am enjoyin this game (even tho its prob ancient for u guys) and it seems to be the only genre of games the ps3 is really missing! also fable 2 is pretty good. any game where u can fart at will (who the hell is will) deserves a thumbs up from me!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i think u need to new menu to save games to the HD, and a game is somewhere between 3 and 5gig, you would get one or 2 games on to the hd, benifits, your not using the dvd drive to run the games which in turn keeps the console quieter and cooler and i think it helps prevent RROD

also u need Fallout 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Go to My Xbox in your menu. Have the game in the drive and go to the tab for playing the game. Press the info button. Choose install and the game will be copied. There are probably one or two other avenues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't install Halo 3 on the harddrive, it actually runs worse when you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

koneko wrote: »

Its running perfect for me and its installed on the hard drive.

I didn't say it doesn't run, just that it runs worse than when it isn't installed, the load times are actually longer. Bungie even gave a message in Halo 3 itself saying so (and explained in more detail here on Bungie.net).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Penis Eye wrote: »
    i read somewhere you can install games to the xbox. is this true?

if so what benefit does it have and how the hell do u do it? bear in mind i havent downloaded any updates and am workin on the old menu system.

and how much space does this take up on ur hard drive, i only have a 20gb.

and just to keep u all updated my first foray in to the xbox 360 world aint too bad. halo 3 started off bad but after a few levels it went back to the spirit of halo 1 (which i loved) and i bought blue dragon for 4.99. i am enjoyin this game (even tho its prob ancient for u guys) and it seems to be the only genre of games the ps3 is really missing! also fable 2 is pretty good. any game where u can fart at will (who the hell is will) deserves a thumbs up from me!!!
    Sandor wrote: »
    Go to My Xbox in your menu. Have the game in the drive and go to the tab for playing the game. Press the info(Y) button. Choose install and the game will be copied. There are probably one or two other avenues.
    That'll only work if you have the New Xbox Experience update. Plug your Xbox into your internet connection, set up a quick profile, and it'll auto download.
    Each game will take up about 4-6 Gb of HD space. And you cant install them to an Ext. HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nope thats just Halo 3 being terrible on its own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Penis Eye wrote: »
    and just to keep u all updated my first foray in to the xbox 360 world aint too bad. halo 3 started off bad but after a few levels it went back to the spirit of halo 1 (which i loved) and i bought blue dragon for 4.99. i am enjoyin this game (even tho its prob ancient for u guys) and it seems to be the only genre of games the ps3 is really missing!

Definitely give Lost Odyssey a go as well then, should be pretty cheap at this stage.
    When you've installed the new update, you need to go to the "Start xxxxx" screen for the game, then press Y and choose to install the game. It's well worth doing for the difference in noise, but as has been said Halo 3 will perform worse as it already uses the HD for caching...

Also, love the username!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

+1 for Lost Odyssey. If your into your RPG's then it's a must for the 360!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

tman wrote: »
    Definitely give Lost Odyssey a go as well then, should be pretty cheap at this stage.
    When you've installed the new update, you need to go to the "Start xxxxx" screen for the game, then press Y and choose to install the game. It's well worth doing for the difference in noise, but as has been said Halo 3 will perform worse as it already uses the HD for caching...

Also, love the username!!!:P

will do eventually.i have just bought gears of war for a fiver. 5 pounds... from a shop. thats crazy. ps3 games will be a long time before the real good ones are this cheap!

ill have finished halo 3 before i get round to updatin the menu anyways. username originally was used as a slag to a few people on boards but i liked it and decidedd to keep it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i tried to copy street fighter 4 to my harddrive..it copys fine..but then if i try to play it without having the disk in the cdrom it says ''please insert disk''...why doesnt it work?

also..if its that easy, whats to stop people renting games from xtravision and copying them to their hard drive. and basically getting new release games for a 5er?

thanks

You still have to have the game in the drive. Installing is done to speed up loading times and so the drive isn't spinning (noisy) so much. There are a few reports of some games working with a different disc in the drive, but very few. You need to have the game in the drive, renting copying and bringing it back means you have a game on your harddrive you can't play.

There are a few reports of some games working with a different disc in the drive, but very few.

It definitely worked for me with quite a few titles. I can play SF IV with Dead or Alive Xtreme in the tray!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    According to reports it will work with Resident Evil 5 as well due to Capcom using the same combumulating code on their discs.

Everybody who wants to have their cake and eat it too should rush out and buy Dead or Alive Xtreme now!

Everybody who wants to have their cake and eat it too should rush out and buy Dead or Alive Xtreme now!

or everybody who wants to have their cake and eat it for free should rush out and RENT Dead or alive Xtreme now! thats assuming they already have street fighter 4 or another capcom title...:D

It definitely worked for me with quite a few titles. I can play SF IV with Dead or Alive Xtreme in the tray!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    According to reports it will work with Resident Evil 5 as well due to Capcom using the same combumulating code on their discs.

so i have gears of war 1, do u think if i rented out gears of war 2, copied it to hard drive, it would play with the gears of war 1 disk in the xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cojomo2 wrote: »
    so i have gears of war 1, do u think if i rented out gears of war 2, copied it to hard drive, it would play with the gears of war 1 disk in the xbox?

Worth a shot, I dont have GOW1 anymore to check!

I was only having a laugh... There have been sweet FA confirmed cases of this actually working, just a bunch on insubstantial internet rumours. Do you really think MS would have went ahead with adding the install feature to the 360 if it was so easily exploited???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

I was only having a laugh... There have been sweet FA confirmed cases of this actually working, just a bunch on insubstantial internet rumours. Do you really think MS would have went ahead with adding the install feature to the 360 if it was so easily exploited???

at least you came clean. that'll count in your favour when ur at the pearly gates lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Not a hope tbh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

i tried to copy street fighter 4 to my harddrive..it copys fine..but then if i try to play it without having the disk in the cdrom it says ''please insert disk''...why doesnt it work?

also..if its that easy, whats to stop people renting games from xtravision and copying them to their hard drive. and basically getting new release games for a 5er?

thanks

you answered your own question thats exactly why it doesnt work to stop people doin that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement