Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oddly Scared (C'mon In throw some opinion my way)

Options
  • 27-02-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I'm new, but I can imagine that people are already assuming this is another, "Im so scared of the big bad leaving cert" thread. But genuinely it isn't. I love Music.. Its my Niche in life.. I adore it, every bit of it and in truth want it to be the one thing that I can concentrate on throughout my life. I'm going to college next year, Mary Immaculate hopefully. To do an Arts course. With one of my subject choices being Music and I did have a few other ideas i.e English, so one day, A friend in the college doing the B.Ed, invited me in to sit an English lecture to get a feel for the place, and genuinely I had an image of a place where people want to learn about their favorate topics - I was probably taking myself too serious in that measure - and dedicate themselves towards bettering themselves in those topics, But like most things, it was a let down in my head.
    I went in to the large lecture hall and the english lecturer appeared, and from behind me, I heard "****ing Dyke" and other things, Which really got me worried they didn't seem to want to study the topic for the fun of studing that topic, they just seen it as a a way to get a job as a teacher or some cushie job, then the lecture started and basicly, It was like Secondary School except with a bigger room. I'm now really quite scared that Music won't teach me about music itself, just how to get a job as a teacher in some secondary school, and everyone really won't be that into it,

The degree is a joint honours, of Music and whatever else I may choose, would that actually stand up to a Bachelour of Music in the sense of topic's learnt?

I don't play a classical instrument, I play guitar, But I would learn any instrument taught to me, I really love this topic and want to do Music, not be a fecking teacher of it or something, I want to compose and I want to just be free in my measures and not have some 9 to 5, call me ignorant, but I really couldn't go through life, Not concentrating solely on Music, Art and things you can express yourself creatively.

I know I sound like a bit of an Eejit, but I don't mean harm, I just really want that.

Much Love,
    Caoimhin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ownknee

So what's stopping you from being creative about music & other things outside college?
    I know thats where you are meant to be taught all those things but you have to realise that if you spend four years in college then its a reasonable assumption that you will get a teaching job once you have qualified.
    You need to think long term here & thats basically paying bills, being independent being able to travel etc. So what if not everyone is as passionate as you are about music or english? It just means you have an edge over them because once you love something it's not really a chore to learn it, it comes naturally.
    Which also means that when you qualify you will make a much better teacher than most of the idiots in the back making silly comments.
    Stick with it but from reading your post I think you will also need something more than what you will get in lectures to keep you sane. I'm sure there will be at least one other person on that course that feels the same as you do about it. And if theres not there will be loads of pubs & clubs where you can meet other like minded people.
    Don't worry about it, let it happen naturally. Whether everyone else on the course has the same opinion as you or not shouldn't worry you. You will always come up against people that will be quick to sneer & make fun of others appeareances & thoughts. That doesn't mean they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you're that passionatr about music why not do a pure music degree? That way you'll almost definitely be in a year with people who are really passionate about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Not a classical Musican. Most require practicals for entrance, and I want to stay close to home, (tipperary) and I was born and bred in Limerick, and in truth it is the place I feel home in, so I really want to head back. other then this Arts degree there is no "Pure Music" course :(.

Maynooth is my second choice for Arts
    then
    Maynooth my third for Pure music. which im really just chancing my arm with.
    so..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as your experience in the lecture goes... well, in my course (Theoretical Physics), yes there are some lecturers we don't like, (though I don't think anyone's actually been abusive like how you've described), and some lectures are SO boring, but otherwise it's not at all like school. People are there because they really love maths/physics and that's what they want to study... I imagine it depends on your course - ie you may get people studying Law simply to get a good job, as opposed to a love of Law or whatever, I don't think too many people study music to get a good job though. ;p

Anyway. OP. The issue at hand is as follows, am I correct?
    You really want to study music and composition and become a musician, etc., but you're not a classical musician so you can't do a pure music course.
    You want to stay in Limerick.

You seem to be in a bit of a pickle, therefore. Of course, you don't necessarily have to study music at college to become a musician (a guy I know dropped out of college to pursue music, for example), but should you go with the college option, your options seem to reduce to - study something which isn't entirely music-based in college as possibly an alternate option (jobs wise and following your other interests wise), or get into a pure music course somehow and study composition etc. from a classical viewpoint.

As far as staying in Limerick goes... well, you're limiting your options by doing that, but if you think you may not be happy in college with whatever you pick, then I suppose it makes sense to at least be in a location you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Why not Cork, is that too far away? UCC has a very good music department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

If you're not a classical musician and worried about doing a pure music degree then take theory classes, get your standard up there and give yourself a little headstart! Imo Cork is best for music, with 2 excellent degree courses in UCC and CIT, both very different with their own positives and negatives, WELL worth browsing the websites about. I'm also planning to do Music with Arts(UCC), and tbh I couldn't give a toss what the other people in the lecture will be doing or whether or not they're passionate about music, I am so I'll be concentrating and learning and making the most of the experience! Try thinking about it that way :) As a previous poster already said, there'll definitely be at least one or two people who feel the way you do on the course, so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Thanks very much for all the above possitive comments,

There are a few reasons for going to Limerick just to make that kinda clear,
    - Not as expensive as sending me to a further a field college, Like Cork, Dublin or Maynooth.
    - Folks want me near to home in case of Illness or something less important that needs to be dropped in, as in like, a textbook or such.
    - Most of my friends - few enough already - are heading to Limerick
    - Just Like the look of Mary Immaculate

See, I am actually able to understand most sheet music, i.e keys Metres and such. Just don't pllay a classical Instrument.

Thanks Very Much for all Help, I'd just like to add, If anyone going to Mary Immaculate is reading this and doing Music, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Edit: Oh yeah, anyone doing any Music course what so ever or has a strong knowledge of Music, Don't be a stranger and Add me
    Kingofyourmum@hotmail.com - im always up for a chat! and Learning a bit more about music in the process can't harm me :)

Advertisement