Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5800 on Vodafone and using WiFi

• 27-02-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Luckily I got this phone today. It appears that Vodafone have handicapped WiFi on this phone. To browse the web using the Nokia browser or check your email using the Nokia app you must allow the phone to use the vodafone live! apn and not use a WiFi access point, such as your own wireless modem. This was confirmed by their customer care. Luckily downloading and using opera mini gets around this. Seems like madness to me but is a point to consider when weighing up SIM free or network locked phones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some companies do some awfully stupid things sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Funnily enough they don't announce this on the 'features' part of their new phones section on their site.

not sure what i did but i can now use wifi. Maybe opera mini interfered with vodafone's settings

Hmm that doesn't make sense. Any previous Vodafone branded Series 60 handsets have all been able to use wifi to access the Internet. That is why I was so surprised that they prevented it with this handset.

I am going to assume that you missed something unless someone else posts that they have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

I got the phone as well today, this problem is easy enough to sort, just go into general settings in the internet browser and click on access point change it to Always Ask, by default it is set to Vodafone Live, and then when you try to use the internet in future it will prompt you for what connection you would like to use.

• Advertisement

but it wouldn't connect to the internet until I contacted them to activate it firstly. Then it worked via vodafone live but just waited on 0kb using my home wireless network. Then I downloaded Opera mini, and changed settings to allow network access always. Now the browser runs over a wifi connection without problem. Their customer care team said 'we don't offer wifi' but I am guessing that they were confused and it's quite likely a switch on and off removed any stupidity that I added to the equation

Well activating the access is one thing so you can browse via the 3G network, but I had to change the setting so it would prompt me for whatever connection I wanted to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Thats retarded, so its perfectly fine now? wifi is one of the main reasons why im getting the phone

Can you sync your emails(gmail) to the phone and view for free like the iphone?

The out of the box default is to use Vodafone Live instead of anything else, but its a quick settings change and you are all good

Havent tried Gmail yet but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I have the WiFi connection working and connecting to the internet and yahoo etc....

Facebook and myspace both working perfectly as well.

Vodafone hasnt done anything to disable WiFi on this phone it just a quick configuration needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ok thanks

• Advertisement

I thought I would save some keystrokes and change Network Connection settings to 'internet' in the browser settings which I had set as default in the Connectivity Network Destinations settings area. I did this on my N78 and I have now have it working fine on the 5800. Can I say I am slightly disappointed with the 5800? The screen is a brighter on the N78 (though the keypad is rubbish) and I haven't got used to the touch screen yet (a few double taps required)?

There is some quirks that threw me off initially but once I got used to them after a few days, I grew alot more fond of it. Tis very hard to go back to the N95 8GB now.

Advertisement