Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 secret gig

• 27-02-2009 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭

Got a text about 2 hours ago from my cousin who lives beside the BBC in london. He said U2 have been playing a gig on the studio roof for the last few hours. Anyone else hear anything about it, and any chance of doin the same over here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They can stay there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its been known about since earlier, heard them talking about it on the radio this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Meh, seen em live twice, don't need to see em again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

They should have called their new album 'Shark Sandwich'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Bono got off on the Vatican vibe of waving to the Regent Street plebs from on high. Full of the usual insincere guff too: "Great city, great BBC, great Metropolitan Police, great Westminster City Council." Time to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did anyone see them on Jonathan Ross last night? Shocking stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Did anyone see them on Jonathan Ross last night? Shocking stuff altogether.

Christ those new songs were dump.

Did you see the soles on Bono's shoes, they must've been at least 3 inches thick. Little insecure about something Bono?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They can stay there.

well said, cant stand this band, their "we'll be irish when we want to be" attitude is terrible...and its something theyve already begun passing onto bands like the script, who seem to shun Ireland (thank god)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

They can stay there.

Or jump off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

it's all on the bbc interactive. just press red!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

new album isn't great then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 riskydisco

"Get on your boots" is decent but the rest of the album bears almost no resemblance to it. In fact, the rest of the album seems like a 'trying less hard' version of the previous few records, albeit with better production and textures going on. Having listened to the title track I got the impression U2 had been listening to a lot of KOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

new album isn't great then?
    Is that a rhetorical question?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nailz wrote: »
    Is that a rhetorical question?

I'll that as a no then :pac:

they mite do a secret gig on top of dail eireann :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

riskydisco wrote: »
    "Get on your boots" is decent but the rest of the album bears almost no resemblance to it. In fact, the rest of the album seems like a 'trying less hard' version of the previous few records, albeit with better production and textures going on. Having listened to the title track I got the impression U2 had been listening to a lot of KOL.

you think "boots" is a decent song?! i think its absolutley muck! thats the main reason i havent been the least bit interested in getting the new album!

you think "boots" is a decent song?! i think its absolutley muck! thats the main reason i havent been the least bit interested in getting the new album!

Boots is utter muck and is the weakest song on the entire album. The other songs are better than it. It's a good album, but it's not a great album. It'll be worth a listen, but it's not an album that grabs you by the throat screaming to "play me!".

Some people are heralding it as a return to form and the next Achtung Baby. I think those people don't have a breeze what they're talking about and should be taken out and shot, personally. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

A surprise gig on the studio rooftop! Brilliant! Only U2 would think of that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I read somewhere that yer man Olaf Tyaransen from hotpress said this was their best ever album, after they gave him a 12 page interview. Just goes to show what a bunch of twats hotpress are, complete sell-outs - everyone who's heard it says this album, obviously, isn't as good as their earlier stuff. I wish hotpress would just shut up shop and fook off, its not worth the paper its written on.

Pub07 wrote: »
    I wish hotpress would just shut up shop and fook off, its not worth the paper its written on.

Welcome to 1988, we hope your flight wasn't too rough and that you enjoy your stay. It was informative enough beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

U2 have asizeable stake in Hot Press remember..

From Rolling Stone:
    True to form, Bono already has a plan for the first single from the band’s next album. RS uncovered details of that project, described as “a sister release to No Line on the Horizon, a Zooropa to its Achtung Baby,” which could arrive within the year.

Bono already knows the title — Songs of Ascent — and the first single, a surging anthem called “Every Breaking Wave” that was left off No Line at the last minute. Songs of Ascent will be quieter than No Line; in many ways, it’s that ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. “We’re making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflective piece of work, but not indulgent,” Bono says. “It will all have a clear mood, like Kind of Blue. Or A Love Supreme would be a point of reference, for the space it occupies in people’s lives, which is to say, with that album, I almost take my shoes off to listen to it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Maybe I'm cynical (just got shot down by Roger Daltrey in a Q&A session re:PJ so I deffo am right now but thats another story) but this to me smacks of them further trying to make it comparable to Achtung Baby, trying to reflect some of that records genius and magic onto this... This isn't a great collection of songs by no means and i'm personally not inspired nor excited to become excited about hearing the stuff they left off..

Edge often says 'you don't finish albums, you release them' and I reckon that's probably whats going on here. Admirable in a way but quit hawking the Achtung Baby reflected glory comparison. I'm not buying it.

Advertisement