Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign weddings

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Me and my girlfriend got engaged recently and are looking into wedding stuff, we want to go away, She is from Sweden and Im Irish so both families will have to travel to make it fair to both.
    We are thinking about going to the mediterranean? prehapes Malta but we are open to anything, we want to bring about 100 guests but we hope that the number will be fewer. Can anyone recommend anything? Where do we start looking?
    We are considering May or september so as not to be too hot.
    Has anyone used an agency that you can recommend?
    Any suggestions will be appericated:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Portofino WP

Hi there,
    sorry I can't help you for Malta but if you think of getting married in Italy then you can count on me..
    I found this forum where some brides were discussing Malta options..
    have a look.. hope it can help you at least for some initial idea!
    http://www.weddingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-1523.html

Ciao!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

shnethb, IMHO I think you are mad to not to take the opportunity to introduce one of the two families to the home and family of one of the happy couple. Sweden in May would be a fantastic location, it would mean her family are completely at ease and would let your family and friends get a peak into the place where your wife grew up and would create a great atmosphere between the two families. Or the opposite of Ireland in May, generally the weather is good here too. We had family travel from Scandinavia and they really loved Ireland.

There is the added advantage of getting local help with arrangements and not having to hit the ground running once you arrive at a relatively unknown destination.

I have to say (again IMHO) I really dislike being dragged unnecessarily to weddings abroad and it's very difficult to say no if you are family or close friends. But the reason of it being the partners homeland is very acceptable and again the local knowledge will be invaluable. I've done the two (partners country & politically correct location) and it makes a huge difference to be able to rely on family and friends of the locals to show you around, organise transport, recommend hotels etc.

Don't rule out making your life easier on what is already a very stressful day.

Advertisement