Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music Taste Vs Intelligence

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Very interesting! But I suppose a lot of it is pretty obvious anyway.

It would be fun to see one done just on different types of dance music.

Yeah. Could be any number of reasons for the connection.

I mean, Counting Crowes are one of the most boring groups ever, and would presumably only appeal to middle aged, middle class, slightly pasty pudgy types who by and large will value education and sitting in front of a computer in stained boxer shorts for hours at a time reading wikipedia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

musicthatmakesyoudum2bla.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Yeah. Could be any number of reasons for the connection.

I mean, Counting Crowes are one of the most boring groups ever, and would presumably only appeal to middle aged, middle class, slightly pasty pudgy types who by and large will value education and sitting in front of a computer in stained boxer shorts for hours at a time reading wikipedia.

Counting crows?even the name of the band sounds boring

I'm surprised to see Jazz so low down. Also the Grateful Dead is doing pretty well.

I think it should be done on a more fair cross section of the population, and pick music genre's rather than individual artists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

This album says it all really

http://www.discogs.com/release/168270

R-150-168270-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

That's bollocks. The goo goo dolls ahead of Tool? Come on like! And Johnny Cash is way too high. FFS You only need 2 notes to play the bassline from most of his tracks.

Although lil wayne is truly truly 5h1te. And I have a 20,000 word thesis on rotational particle kinetics published so I am qualified to make that statement.

I studied IT in college and i usually work in Credit Management, does that make me "intelligent" enough :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems like a load of bollocks... I love Sufjan Stevens and Beethoven, yet look at me!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Just goes to show there are a lot of intelligent people who haven't got the slightest idea of what good music is.

U2, Norah Jones, Muse.... piss off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Muse are decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

not too surprised with anything but...... Counting ****ing Crows????

Actually I think i know why that is. I was in Harvard a few years ago and counting crows were huge on the US 'College circuit'. So I reckon all the really smart people who really aren't into music at all listen to them, and that pushes up their appearance amongst the people with higher aptitudes.

jonny68 wrote: »
    I studied IT in college and i usually work in Credit Management, does that make me "intelligent" enough :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Haha, only Jonny would announce his past work experience in credit management as a proof of intelligence, what with recent economic history.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    And Johnny Cash is way too high. FFS You only need 2 notes to play the bassline from most of his tracks.

The ultimate example of why dying is good for a career.

Maybe he was good back in the 60s, but I'm not that old. Back in the 80s he wouldn't get a gig supporting Philomena Begley at the Castlebar Badger Baiting Festival. Since he died, he has been re-evaluated and is officially an icon. Load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

just like to point out,i only posted this for a laugh.
    posted it wit the title "here we go again" but it was changed(im fine with that)
    i havent even looked at the link i just saw it on the telly and rememebr the arguments that were had over the last time it was brought up.:D:D:D

Back in the 80s he wouldn't get a gig supporting Philomena Begley at the Castlebar Badger Baiting Festival.
    I think you underestimate
    A) how brilliant Philomena Begley is
    B) how popular badger baiting is in Castlebar and
    C) how it is actually the 1950's in Castlebar thus making johnny cash an up and coming star (don't tell the locals though, it'll upset them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Does anyone feel people whos are into techno's opinion of music as a whole is often rubbished by their mates? Ridiculous considering the production skill involved in techno.......let you have people who are into the kings of leon dismiss us as "pillheads". Fools!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

folks into techno generally don't know what a tracker mortgage is :P

I think we all take this as just a bit of a laugh - I changed the title as it would get more views this way cause I knew it would be a funny thread.

Flynn I agree and I generally don't tell people I'm into 'techno' as such - I ususally just say "House etc". "Techno" just seems to have a bad air about it with some people

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Does anyone feel people whos are into techno's opinion of music as a whole is often rubbished by their mates? Ridiculous considering the production skill involved in techno.......let you have people who are into the kings of leon dismiss us as "pillheads". Fools!

thankfully i've produced a few of my mates rock bands over the years so if they even thought about rubbishing dance music, I'd remind them of how good I made their crap band sound on record.

Dance music has a bad PR problem in this country amongst the general ignorant public because of

a) Boy racers and their hard house/trance
    b) Scobies and scangers with their hard house/trance/oldskool
    c)Stabbings at gigs of hard house/trance.
    d) the general class division and it's relation to hard house/trance/oldskool.
    e) did I mention hard house and trance?

• Advertisement

Trance and Hard House lovers please identify yourselves! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Funny, that... One of the reasons that I'm so glad to have moved away from Ireland would be peoples weak preconceptions about what hard house is. I get sick of saying this, but there's so much more to it than the **** you hear scobes blasting out of their cars, and far better DJs to illustrate what the scene is about than Lisa Lashes or the bloody Tidy boys.

Trance is still crap though...

jtsuited wrote: »
    I think you underestimate
    A) how brilliant Philomena Begley is
    B) how popular badger baiting is in Castlebar and
    C) how it is actually the 1950's in Castlebar thus making johnny cash an up and coming star (don't tell the locals though, it'll upset them)

:D:D

Though while Begley is good, she's no Margo...

People can shove their "intelligence" where the sun don't shine when it comes to dance music,do people really give a fu*k when they are mad out of it in a club if a track is "intelligent" or not unless your some trainspotter or Techno geek

Nuff said...:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

strange thing is, i like most of the well known stuff on there.

I like little wayne, i like Ludwig van Beethoven, i like SOAD, i like beck, i like the doors, i like pearl jam, i like vivaldi (hes not on the list but he is better than aul ludwig)

I think you all get the picture, i am also of above average intelligence (a good bit above if i may say so myself )

Its just statistics, "The" people that do listen to little wayne just happen to be ill educated. Not "All" people that like little wayne. its a pointless excersise. we all know that mainly smart people like classical music because idots ( not saying any of you are :P ) can't appreciate the musical genius and effort that composing such masterpieces takes. I also have great respect for the rappers themselvs rather than their fans. If you study the lyrics of some rap songs you will find a very deep message that is overlooked by the particular demographic that makes up their main fanbase.

Oh dear i went on a little bit much didnt i? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you mean you came off sounding like a twat then yeah I think you did a little.

Anima wrote: »
    If you mean you came off sounding like a twat then yeah I think you did a little.
    Sorry if I offended you in anyway. :(

Teutorix wrote: »
    strange thing is, i like most of the well known stuff on there.

I like little wayne, i like Ludwig van Beethoven, i like SOAD, i like beck, i like the doors, i like pearl jam, i like vivaldi (hes not on the list but he is better than aul ludwig)

I think you all get the picture, i am also of above average intelligence (a good bit above if i may say so myself )

Its just statistics, "The" people that do listen to little wayne just happen to be ill educated. Not "All" people that like little wayne. its a pointless excersise. we all know that mainly smart people like classical music because idots ( not saying any of you are :P ) can't appreciate the musical genius and effort that composing such masterpieces takes. I also have great respect for the rappers themselvs rather than their fans. If you study the lyrics of some rap songs you will find a very deep message that is overlooked by the particular demographic that makes up their main fanbase.

Oh dear i went on a little bit much didnt i? :pac:

ah no. good post imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

There was no study. A blog linked to another blog

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/ doesn't even exist.

• Advertisement

There was a study - that page is down for some reason, but it was there - see the Google Cache, and the main site: http://www.virgil.gr/ which has links to both this study and also the previous one on "Books that mate you dumb"

according to one brand new scientific study

Unless i can see the study in a scientific journal then its bs. This is just something thrown together for the sake of an argument.

Its a pet hate when someone starts a conversation with "according to a recent survey... x, y, z." wtf are you talking about, what survey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Unless i can see the study in a scientific journal then its bs. This is just something thrown together for the sake of an argument.

Its a pet hate when someone starts a conversation with "according to a recent survey... x, y, z." wtf are you talking about, what survey?

Survey x, y and z, I guess?

I think your missing the point. Without the survey infront of me its too broad and meaningless a phrase. People just use the above line to give their argument an air of respectability where there is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

As far as studies go this has to be one of the worst trolls I've ever seen (the survey not the op :))

I'm also biting my tounge as regards that comment about trance, and once again apologise to all the musical snobs out there that the genre lacks tracks consisting of 9 ****ing minutes of insufferable beeping and "minimilism" :rolleyes: Christ if I could just get my emmigration to Holland started I'd be able to appreciate trance with like minded people and a real scene, instead of suffering all this "trance is ****" nonsense which is so prevailant in "techno & minimal house Ireland" ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think your missing the point. Without the survey infront of me its too broad and meaningless a phrase. People just use the above line to give their argument an air of respectability where there is none.

I was being facetious. My point was that you are capable of looking up the findings yourself, no?
    DarkJager wrote: »
    As far as studies go this has to be one of the worst trolls I've ever seen (the survey not the op :))

I agree. There whole survey is meaningless as there is no methodology listed and I've not been able to find any. So, for instance, we have no idea about samples sizes (if any) or what effects environment has upon education and musical preference. I'm beginning to think that the whole thing is designed by a fan of Counting Crows, Sufjan Stevens and Beethoven to piss people off.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good thread, I'm intelligent because I listen to IDM, so ha. :pac:

I was being facetious. My point was that you are capable of looking up the findings yourself, no?

See post 30.

See post 30.
    it was there yesterday, sever must have crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Trance is awesome.

Advertisement