Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Mansergh on Hearts & Minds last night...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I have always found Martin Mansergh contemptible ponce and basically a waffler. No surprises in this interview. The interviewer was even laughing at him and his disastrous performance. Ill be surprised if hes let in front of a camera again.

MM wasnt too far off going back to the old FF line of "Sure there arent enough jobs for everyone" line on emigration in the 80s with his view that emigration under current circumstances wouldnt mean people were being forced out. It was left to MW to point out that people who emigrated would need to be desperate indeed given the tough circumstances globally and the lack of social support for unemployed immigrants abroad.

He was also laden down there with defending the Fianna Fail reaction to the crisis which has basically been "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!!!! WHAT DO WE DO?!?!? MAYBE IF I DONT LOOK AT IT, IT WILL GO AWAY!!!!"

Thats always going to be a pretty hard position to defend without looking like a moron. Or Brian Lenihan.

Margaret Ward on the other hand, was very impressive. Could at least talk the talk with the minimum of "uh" and "ah" and "em"s. And basically showed up the government as having done next to nothing. Gave MM a really hard time, which he and the rest of the government well deserve. Eyes rolling at some of the crap MM was spouting etc etc. ****ing loved it when MM tried to interupt her and she shut him down with a "Can I finish please? Thank you!"

The truly depressing thing, the terrifying thing is that MM was sent out to represent the Fianna Fail line. He was completely, totally, and amazingly ignorant and in denial of the public mood. We are doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The fact that Mansergh even gets put in front of a TV camera is an insult to the whole national constituency. It is an absolute outrage that this is the calibre of person who gets sent out to tell us what is happening.

How in the name of all that is holy did this man get elected as a TD???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crikey,Darragh29 you have most certainly performed a great public service by posting that !!

I have always felt uncomfortable with the presence of this fellow in any Governmental role given his associations with the Former Taoiseach Haughey.

But my God that has to rate as reason enough to send FOR the IMF !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Anyone see this pitiful performance last night??? And we wonder why we are in the absolute economic sh*t's...

yep. stephen fry's granny:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

That was unbelievably cringeworthy to watch to say the least, particularly the last two minutes or so. I actually felt embarrassed for Mansergh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That was unbelievably cringeworthy to watch to say the least, particularly the last two minutes or so. I actually felt embarrassed for Mansergh!

Two things:

1) They said that 3% of spending had gone up to Northern Ireland. Surely it is more than that, and greater still if you include people shopping online from the UK generally?

2) Did you notice that towards the end he spent about a minute pointing at her breasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

My God, Manseragh really is a stooge of epic proportions. They way he raises his voice whenbeing talked over is hilarious.

Who is that other girl? She's hot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The fact that Mansergh even gets put in front of a TV camera is an insult to the whole national constituency. It is an absolute outrage that this is the calibre of person who gets sent out to tell us what is happening.

How in the name of all that is holy did this man get elected as a TD???

Martin Mansergh is regarded as one of FF best! So in the words of the man himself-"Have respect for your betters!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Unbelievable! It's bad enough that he got to be a TD, but junior minister for finance!!?? We're fu**ed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

We need more of this. Some concise hatchet jobs on every single FF TD of importance, by clever and composed individuals like this marvellous girl, to show them up for what they are, and waken up those people who still apologise for them. But it has to happen pretty damned quick.

Compare this short, sharp interview with John Bowman's disappointing handling of Questions and Answers, where he masterfully deflects any cutting questions from the sitting Minister by 'moving swiftly on.'

Show these people up for what they are, and let's be rid of them NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

public service broadcasting as it is supposed to be, thanks girl.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

comedy at its best ...all it needs is some canned laughter

She put Vincent Browne to absolute shame. I think Mansergh has a problem with being questioned by a woman, he was on Vincent Brownes Tonight Show on TV3 the other night and while he was obnoxious and arrogant, he was nowhere near as bad as he was on the above video...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have never witnessed such incompetence in any debate anywhere. What the hell was that?

That wasn't a debate, she just destoryed him and he had nothing to say for himself and took his time saying it.

When he talks as slow as he does, he's stuttering makes it look like he has no idea what to say and is just trying to come up with some sort of nonsense answer which seems to be what we got in the end anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

She slaughthered him :/ This guy is with Fianna Fail? He's rubbish! I could have done a better job while off my face on acid ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

CCCP^ wrote: »
    She slaughthered him :/ This guy is with Fianna Fail? He's rubbish! I could have done a better job while off my face on acid ffs.

But would ya have been able to talk as loud as you could without actually shouting, cos you know.. its the Mansergh way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Agreed that this guy Mansergh isnt the brightest penny in the fountain (and as youl understand if you read a lotta my posts, I despise Fianna Fail!) but i do get a sense from reading some posts, that a lot of people don't like this guy because he is the only Anglo-Irish person in the Government.

Just a thought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Agreed that this guy Mansergh isnt the brightest penny in the fountain (and as youl understand if you read a lotta my posts, I despise Fianna Fail!) but i do get a sense from reading some posts, that a lot of people don't like this guy because he is the only Anglo-Irish person in the Government.

Just a thought....

Didn't know that, didn't know anything about the guy until the youtube vid to be honest.

He is still too moronic to be in government and anyone that did vote for this fool should be ashamed of themselves. If this is how he acts under pressure he is not fit to represent anyone in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

For me it has nothing whatsoever to do with being anglo-irish as you put it and everything to do with him appearing incompetent, arragont, rude and overbearing.

It makes me sick this guy is on a junior ministers salary. A fine use of my tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just wanted to find out a bit more about this man and had a look at his website:
    MartinMansergh.ie
    Under Construction

under de-construction, more like :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

His performance was very shakey, but I found her less than impressive either. She seemed to be trading on the basis that if she sounded confident enough no-one would notice she was spouting clichés.

Her repeated references to an alleged case of a company closing for lack of €3,000 in liquidity seems to have been not merely overly credulous, but just plain wrong. That said, it does indicate that Martin Mansergh just isn’t a strong PR guy if he couldn’t send his waffly opponent packing.

Schuhart wrote: »
    His performance was very shakey, but I found her less than impressive either. She seemed to be trading on the basis that if she sounded confident enough no-one would notice she was spouting clichés.

Her repeated references to an alleged case of a company closing for lack of €3,000 in liquidity seems to have been not merely overly credulous, but just plain wrong. That said, it does indicate that Martin Mansergh just isn’t a strong PR guy if he couldn’t send his waffly opponent packing.

I personally know of a few businesses that are needlessly going to the wall because their banks are cutting overdrafts. If people had any idea what is really happening within many small businesses at the moment, they wouldn't sleep at night.

He made a show of himself, and by extension, a show of the whole country. I've never in my life seen a more arrogant and intrasigent display of behaviour on the television in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I personally know of a few businesses that are needlessly going to the wall because their banks are cutting overdrafts.
    Perhaps. But that's not what happened in the case she refers to.

I'm not saying there isn't a point to be made about the knock-on effect of banks being overextended. What I'm saying is she didn't make that point, and did not accurately report the facts of the case she was referring to.

And that's not even to get in to whether a story sourced from a politician about someone he's making representations on behalf of should be accepted uncritically. What seems to be involved is someone trying to move an overdraft he has as a sole trader into a limited company. I'd suspect (but clearly don't know) that the case is more complicated than the few facts reported, ignoring the errors that Margaret Ward introduced in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Schuhart wrote: »

She was utterly dreadful and showed little to no understanding of the topic at hand. Which makes Mansergh's performance all the worse that he couldn't deal with her.

A €3,000 loan in isolation might mean nothing without context. I guarantee you there are plenty of small businesses out there that will need to downsize precisely because their business model doesn't work in the present economic conditions and banks won't be lending to them because the issues will be more structural than cash-flow. We don't want banks handing out money to every business who wants it because bluntly there are good reasons why so many companies fail each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Well, eh, eh, I mean, eh, eh, eh, eh, I, I, eh, no comment! :)

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/shows/recommendations/Martin%20Mansergh.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"He's very well thought of in his field."

Quote from "Deliverance"

Doctorate in French studies I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

but i do get a sense from reading some posts, that a lot of people don't like this guy because he is the only Anglo-Irish person in the Government.

Just a thought....

I dont think peoples dislike of him has anything to do with his Anglo-Irish upbringing, more likely the reason many people dont like him is because of performances like the one above (Post No1) :confused:

I'd pay money to see Manseragh go head to head with Proinsias De Rossa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

shayser wrote: »
    Well, eh, eh, I mean, eh, eh, eh, eh, I, I, eh, no comment! :)

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/shows/recommendations/Martin%20Mansergh.mp3

Holy fcuk!

This man is MoS at Finance - /shakes head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Martin Manserragh did excellent work behind the scenes in the Peace Process. He has had a long career in Politics.

I assume he was selected by Fianna Fail to go on that programme so he could fill in the time, come accross as bundling and basically get them out of answering difficult questions, or making any concrete commitments live on TV. As regards the woman, she is a polished speaker and was very well groomed - that doesn't make her right, or well informed.

PS I find Camelots comment about De Rossa and Manseragh to be very offensive, and frankly childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

wow sierra wrote: »
    Martin Manserragh did excellent work behind the scenes in the Peace Process. He has had a long career in Politics.

I assume he was selected by Fianna Fail to go on that programme so he could fill in the time, come accross as bundling and basically get them out answering difficult questions, or making any concrete commitments live on TV. As regards the woman, she is a polished speaker and was very well groomed - that doesnt make her right, or well informed.
    PS I find Camelots comment about De Rossa and Manseragh to be very offensive, and frankly childish.

This is exactly what is wrong with our political system - this man is obviously NOT qualified in any manner whatsoever to be 'in charge' of anything relating to our countrys finances, yet there he is, as you say, being wheeled out to waffle and obfuscate with the added bonus of making himself look thick and ignorant and by extension, Ireland to be full of thickos.
    But that's okay, cos he is regarded as having done excellent work during the peace process - so, is this MoS gig his reward?

TBH, I find an acceptance of his position and acceptance of those who rewarded him with this position to be utterly offensive.

Advertisement